starting flu need advise

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm just starting flu and trying not to listen to my thoughts about all the "what if this happens or that happens" I know it's my anxiety. I'm praying that this one works because I want to be myself again. I'm started my second week on flight any encouragement would be appreciated.

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Brittany,

Just be patient.

I am on day 14 today.

Yesterday was feeling first time ok.

I think it's starting to work.

I had a disaster days.

Br

A

• Posted

Hi Brittany

Hey we all have that little negative voice sitting on our shoulder saying things won't work for us, what if this happens etc etc., it's such an annoying little pest isn't it.  Well, let that little voice just say what it wants, because the truth is the medication will help :-)

You might get all manner of side effects, but try and remember that's all they are and they will ease off.  You also might that whilst taking this meds that you'll be up and down for a while with your moods, but this is normal on this meds.  It will right itself eventually as the medication gets into your body.  Some people take 3-4 months to feel any benefit, some quicker and some it takes longer.  Just be patient with this meds and keep persevering with it.  It will work.

Keep in touch.

K x

• Posted

Thank you so much. I find that no one understands unless they gone through this. This has been the hardest battle I have ever hqd to deal with.
    • Posted

You're absolutely right.  You can explain what it's like to people, but the actually reality is far, far more scary than they could think of.  I've said exactly the same - this is the hardest thing I've had to deal with.  Even doctors and the medical professionals in this field can't really understand the full enormity of what it feels like.

I used to have severe anxiety and depression for years and years, and it wasn't until I was put onto SSRI's that I fully recovered, and have been well ever since.  I'm taking a different SSRI to you, but this is my 3rd sort and I've been well on them all.

Its a long rocky road, but if you persevere through it all, you'll come through it all.

People on here are very supportive, and know what you're going through too as they're all in the same boat.  Some have recovered and some are still going through it.

• Posted

Oops, pressed REPLY before I'd finished! ;-)

Just wanted to finish off with keep in touch with everyone, as you can share experiences with everyone.

K x

• Posted

Hi

As everyone else has said - long and hard battle.

My side effects seem to keep changing, or rather the magnitude of annoyance of each one changes. At the moment the jaw clamping and disturbed sleep are the worst, with white noise and yawning next and wrestless legs creeping into the top 5 for the first time.

The positive effects have kicked in, but only lift my general mood so far. If i have a setback, it seems to be as earth shattering as before.

I am on week 7 ish now and just a little fed up today.

Stick with it - the good stuff will come!

• Posted

I'm trying not to worry but I have financial things going on which is stressing me out on top of worrying about getting this anxiety under control please someone tell me things will get better and I will get through this.
    • Posted

You will Brittany do not worry. Believe us.

We all have passed through it.

A

• Posted

One day and one thing at a time!

Its the only way im afraid.

You need to be in a "good place" to takle the issues.

The Flu will help you get there.

Good luck.

• Posted

You will get through all this ..... it gets better.  I couldn't believe it when I got better - everything went away.  The depression, anxiety, stress, constant negative thoughts, scary thoughts ..... the medication helped all this to ease and finally fade.

You get into a cycle of depression - anxiety - racing scary thoughts - depression - anxiety - thoughts and so on, making you very tired.  The medication helps to break this cycle, and when one part starts to heal, so do the others.

It really does get better.  Lots of patience and perseverance.

K x

• Posted

Dear katecogs,

Please tell me :

1. How long took for you until fool recovery?

2. On what dosage are you daily.

3. What time you took the flu.

4. When and how your sleep gets back.

5. Was it daily changes in anxiety or one day good other bad and ect...?

6. Does your appetite came back ever?

I am 38 male and I am on flu 20 mg day 15.

Thnx in advance for your help

A

• Posted

Hi Alex

. im actually on Citalopram which is similar to Fluoxetine, yet I made a full recovery on a different SSRI years ago.  This is my 3rd medication (1 didn't agree with me and 1 was discontinued).  But they all did the same job.

. I've only ever taken 20mg in my meds and that's what I recovered on.  I reckon it took about 4 months to feel rested and began feeling like 'me' again, then another 2 months before it all eased and I felt really good, and then I continued to get even more better over the next 6 months until I felt amazing.  I believe you can take a higher dose with fluoxetine.

. I take my meds in the morning.  Doctor said it helps not to mess with your sleep at night.  But I've noticed some people find it makes them sleepy and prefer taking it at night.  Think it's what best works for you.

. My sleep got better probably around 3-4 months if I remember.

. I initially found the anxiety eased off gradually within a couple of months, then it came back for a week or so, then I felt good again etc ... this up and down continued for a good 5-6 months with it each lasting days or weeks, sometimes half a day - it was all random.  I reckon it all smoothed out around 6 months and then I continued to feel better and better over the next 6 months.

. Oh my .... my appetite certainly came back (dam) .... Yes it's normal now.

My son is on fluoxetine after an emotional crash last year, and he went through hell on the meds and now see he's back to himself, eating loads, sleeping well and much happier.  That's probably taken 5-6 months.

Dont let all this timescale worry you though - everyone is different and takes different times to recover.  You do need lots of patience unfortunately on this type of medication and perseverance.  Some people give up too quickly thinking it isn't working.  It is working, but it takes time for it to get into your body.  Also some people rush to up their dose thinking they aren't getting better quick enough ..... you will be, it's just that it takes time.  It's worth persevering on one dose for a while before discussing with your doc if you need a higher dose.  Some people need different doses - we're all different.

I was ill for around 15 years, so waiting 6 months+ to heal was a small price to pay I thought.

There's no quick fix - but patience, pass through all the unpleasantness, persevere, and you'll get through it all.

K x

• Posted

Dear katecogs,

Thanks for such an encouragement you gave me with your answer.

I really feel like renew man when I read your words. I am very grateful. I recognize myself in your experience.

I have following side effects :

. I sleep very little- I take diazepam 5 mg otherwise there is no way.

. I have no appetite - I lost 3 kgr in two weeks

. I have anxiety that I must admit It's subsiding in the last couple days...my anxiety is of type: I don't sleep-I don't eat - something else is wrong with me - dead is near....and ect.....the thought is like a lighter that fires anxiety.

I believe that med will solve all these and I will be my old myself again....

I made a mistake going to early on 40mg and I returned on 20mg again. I will keep going on 20mg

This Tuesday was the first day after 14 days when I felt a change...at least for an hour if you know what I mean..

Again thank you so much..

A

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.