Starting mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I started 15mg a couple of days ago and my anxiety has gone out of the roof. Is this normal when first going on it.

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I have been on mirtazapine for nearly a week now and have noticed an increase in anxeity but these feelings don't appear to last long. I think it can make symptoms worse like depression & anxiety when you start any new antidepressant. My mood is beginning to lift even though I've only been on it for a short time @ 15mg dose, just keep an eye on your symptoms if they become unbearable then I would tell your Dr. 
    • Posted

Hi Chezza, not doing so great tbh and am sick to death! Been on mirt now for over 2 weeks with little change to the way I feel, trying my hardest to carry on with things but it's a struggle. Waiting to heat from Dr about increasing my dose to 30mg but it seems to be taking ages! How are you doing so far? 
  • Posted

Hi

I agree with Liam.....if you have depression / anxiety disorders any of these psychotropic meds can worsen it before the med actually starts working, which they say is 4-6 weeks 

I have tried mirtazapine and experienced that too but all of them do it to me.

im on Amitriptyline now and trying to stick this one out! I always have to start really low and work up in dose. 

hope it settles for you. 

• Posted

Thank you Alison, I am going to try and stick this out. I have come off so many meds because everytime I first go on them I cant stand the side effects at the beggining .xxx
    • Posted

Im exactly the same! And I do think some of it is psychological... Fear of meds because of past experiences. Then the side effects make me panic. ( I have panic disorder too) 

if ever you want to chat message me :-) 

• Posted

I agree, been trying to ignore how I feel but really difficult. When I get up think I can conquer the world until I remember I am ill. Still try but find it really is the side effects, can't wait for them to go! 
    • Posted

Im exactly the same with the med im on (amitriptyline)  

The trouble with us suffering with anxiety/ depression is we want an instant fix....and there just isnt one! 

Everyday I just think its another day closer...hard when your shaky and ridden with anxiety symptoms madecworse by the initial start ups.

It really does help eing able to talk to others....I met a lovely lady on here who has helped me immensely. 

hang in there Judith. Message me anytime 

• Posted

Hi Alison, just tested myself by changing my bed, something I found really hard to do before, while I was doing it the feelings came back but I carried on and have done it! Everything I do is like that and saying it is stupid doe sent help. Hair cut today, another thing I find hard and have put off for months. It's not until 2.30 so might cancel yet, will try not to, need to keep busy till then. Have the best day you can. Judith
    • Posted

Forgot to say my Pdoc asked if I would like to see a phsy colonist to find out the route of it all, I am sceptical but have said yes. Don't know when as there is a long waiting list. I will try anything. Feeding my daughters cat has made me go out so all progress I suppose just too slow!!! rolleyes
    • Posted

They are all achievements no matter how small. However we tend to not think like that with anxiety and depression. 

what is a pysch colonist? (psychologist??) 

do you beat yourself up over the things you cant do... Like me? 

how long have you been on the mirtazapine?  

• Posted

Yes it is a phsycologist and I do beet myself up, it is not like me not to be doing so frustrating. I have been on mirtazapine for abouth a month, first week with venaflaxine 15 ml, second 15 ml and 30ml now, I find if I get bad taking a diazapam helps, think it stops me worrying about the feelings
    • Posted

My predictive txt does that too! 

what i have been told is you will get side effects for about 3 weeks and then when you increase you will get side effects again for 2-3 weeks. Also when you increase your dose it will take another 4 weeks before that dose makes a difference so theres still time for improvement. 

I keep trying to remind myself this too.

• Posted

In Word (and lots of other applications) - but not here with a wrong spelling it underlines in red and pulling down with the cursor it suggests what you meant - but unfortunately not here!

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up