Starting Mirtazapine

Posted , 9 users are following.

I really am in a dark place and quite tearful and worried from time to time. Since about Christmas time I cannot sleep until it comes time for the alarm to go off and then I want to sleep. I now live on my own which I am still ajusting to and really feel now what is the point. I previously took lustral 150mg I was crying and thought they didnt help at all so weaned myself off but felt worse post Christmas. I am due to start taking mirtazipine tonight, Do they actually help on their own and does anyone actually like or reccommend them. Im off work sick for a few weeks hopefully they will help by then. After reading all the posts I am reluctant to start, also im already overweight, a lot, Do they always make u eat more? At this stage I really feel I need to try them but am reluctant after reading posts any advice please?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. Andy here. I started on 30mg of mirt 3 weeks ago, and although I know there is a long way to go, I'm sleeping better and to me that's already starting to make me feel a little better. I'm presently off work and I'm lucky as my work have been very supportive so far. I also was scared off by forum horror stories about mirt, but I needed to try something, and I'm glad so far that I have. Definitely give it a go and remember you aren't alone, even if at times that's how you feel. Take care.
  • Posted

Thats good that your getting some sleep. Its lucky that your work are being supportive, il probably get the sack. Iv managed to increase my staying up time now by an hour to about 5am! I still have this notion I can sort everything out myself in other ways and am still reluctant to take the tablets. Im really weighing up all the pros and conns but I know I def need 2 get my sleeping in order and to maintain my mood. I think if I put on any weight I would be off them straight away neway but maybe I should take them even for a wee while and while im off work! Maybe if I dont sleep at all il b so tired I can get my old pattern back of going earlier and getting up earlier?
  • Posted

Think im being stubborn trying 2 go it alone, Im most scared of the weight gain 2 be honest but maybe it wont affect me like that who knows till I try. When I feel ok i think im ok and dont even know what I should feel so low about nx thing I know im crying and upset again.Atm im debating whether or not 2 have my 18y old dog put down an I feel so guilty im sure the tabs would make me think more logically about it. Feeling bit sleepy now though!
  • Posted

Hi Xandra,

My advice would be to start taking the medicine,

Sounds like your having a really hard time just now,and it doesn't mean your a freak or the only one, it means your trying to help your self get better, I've been on medicine for the last 10 years,because I suffer from anxiety and depression, I said the same as you all those years ago that I didn't need the meds and I was going to be ok on my own,, well that was a massive mistake cause I became an alcoholic due to the stress of my condition, but I'm nearly 5 years sober now and the meds saved my life,

And mirt especially done me wonders

• Posted

Thanx 4 ur very honest and sound advice KennyB and really sincerly that is a GR8 achievement. I have been on some meds over t years, a Christmas I stopped taking lustral cause I didnt think that they helped me neway. Im glad im not alone in this I was a bit blikered. I probably cant maintain a balance myself but hey I managed 2 get some sleep last night at the proper time. I too gave up smoking and drinking a number or years ago, I put on a lot of weight hence the apprehension bout tbs, I guess its just a matter of finding my "right antidote

• Posted

Hi Xandra

I've thought that before, you would think that making yourself so tired would mean that you must fall asleep, but it didn't work for me. I walked 8 miles one day and for me that was alot, It exhausted me but I still couldn't fall asleep! I know what you mean aswell, I had difficulty accepting that I needed help because some of the time I felt "fine" as I would call it, and it needed pointing out to me that at other times I really was not fine. Your lack of sleep is probably worsening your symptoms aswell and making you feel so low, getting some sleep can really help. I'm on week four of mirtazapine, and they are working ok for me, I have been sleeping ALOT but I guess it must be needed for all the lack of sleep I had, and is ok at the moment because I am off sick. Generally I have felt an improvement although I have had a few low days and I took it quite badly that I had hit a low, but back on the up now. I hope you find something that works for you.

Best wishes.

• Posted

I've been put on mirt to treat my depression, tonight is the first night, I was feeling worried after reading other people's horror stories, but hopefully I will have a better experience than some. Your messages have given me hope that it may work, thank you.
  • Posted

Hi everyone. I've been very reluctant to take anything at all for the past 3yrs suffering from gad.but not so much depression. I had drive and wanted to get out of it. But then sleep became a real problem again so tried trazodone 1 month ago. 2 weeks I couldn't handle it. Felt so depressed waking up. Don't wanna be depressed. Wanna wake up with drive and no anxiety. So i stop. And felt quite depressed since and can't be left alone. Sleep got even worse. Sleeping every hourish . Now tried mirtazapine. 7.5 as was very worried about taking ad route again. Slept much better like on traz but am worried about going to work like this. I cannot function. And don't feel like it. I've lost my drive. 3 yrs ago I used to be full of life today the gad had changed me. I hope these drugs help in the long term. And I'm worried I'll be on them for life like many people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.