Starting Mirtazapine and worried

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive been on citalopram for years but no longer working so ive been weaned off them and now my doc has gave me mirtazapine 15mg.. (i have a bad phobia if vomiting/bein out if control etc so i worry starting any meds) any way i cut a 15mg in half last week n took it at night so 7.5mg and slept straight away all night ( i dont need help with sleep cos i sleep loads anyway) there more for my depression / anxiety anyway i woke next day n my legs/arms felt so weak an i just wanted to sleep felt but like zombie (whatever a zombie feels like lol) but i didnt like that feeling ( good note i didnt have no anxiety / no over thinking just tired / horrible feeling) i havent taken another once since because of that tired feeling but am at that point i just want my life back.

How long does that sedation feelung last ??

Shall i stay at 7.5mg or cut them in half again ?

Like i say they did help with no anxiety n made me want to eat etc its just the tiredness/zombie feeling i didnt like?,

But i want my life bk am not going out or anything wuth constantly panicking

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had that feeling everyday until 7-8pm at night with mirt but everyone is different. Also it did not really help my anxiety and had quite intense attacks on the medication. Loxamine has been the only one to really help my anxiety - the problem being its another medication with all that comes with that. 

Hopefully there are a few people that have had the horrible tired exhausted feelings lift after a few weeks of starting mirt. 

• Posted

Thanks luke68025 when i started citalopram i remember them making me more anxious for about 6weeks till they kicked in.. (i coped with that) its just this horrible sedated feeling that i dont like but good that i never had no anxiety even after just one tab x

But this past week ive felt so tired / weak as it is so i dont wanna make it worse ( think its from not having my citalopram anymore x

• Posted

Apparently the sedated feeling can come with the mirtazipine working through the histamine channels so can have a similar sedating affect as antihistamine for some people. I tried to reinstate to combat WD recently and I had 7.5mg and it knocked me down so badly I couldn’t get out of bed for a night and day lol. I think because I had taken an anti histamine that day and accidentally doubled up but it was terrible. 

Problem with meds is time is the only thing that will give you a clue if the feeling will go away. I can say I know the pain though, I’m an active 32 yo male and I hardly had the energy to walk.

Keep us posted on how you get on in here!

• Posted

Hi Danielle ive been on citalopram for years i felt really down again and went bk to doctor he prescribed me mitrazapine 15mg n slowly its went up to 45mg i was better but put on so much weight im having to reduce back down. Xx
    • Posted

Am below 7st so am really wanting to put in some weight..

Did u get the sedated feeling next day ? How long did it last

• Posted

Yeah was groggy in morning had too push myself too get up for work but once i was showered n washed my hair i was fine xxx
  • Posted

Hi, I also suffer fear of vomiting (emetophobia) that’s why I was given Mirtazapine because it has some anti emetic in it. I’ve been on them about 18 months. Like you I was prescribed 15mg which I cut in half and took the 7.5mg for two weeks before increasing to 15mg. I did have tiredness for the first few weeks. They say the lower the dose the more sedating it is. I found once I was on 15mg I was ok.  Also like you I needed to gain weight which I certainly have! I started at about 7.4 stone size 6/8 I’m now 9.3 stone size 8/10. I’ve actually got some curves! People tell me I look so much better. There are constantly horror stories of withdrawals but I’m not thinking about that I’m just enjoying living for the now 😃

• Posted

Thanks for your positive comment i think am just gonna take them.. can u eat before taken them etc..?? I domt even worry they will make me sick just worried hate that tired feeling nxt day like i just have no energy to do anythin x
    • Posted

I just take mine when I go to bed. Within 30 mins I’m asleep. I’ve always been an early bird and had no issues getting up. I do now find takes a bit longer to wake. But once had breakfast and shower I’m totally fine 😃

• Posted

What time do u take it at night ? My sister said take about 7pm.. but my kids dont blooming go bed till after then my partners good so i can take them earlier.. but just feel i will be sleeping my life away x
    • Posted

Wow i took that one a week ago at about 9pm was asleep by 9.15 and couldn't wake up mext morning and all day i felt exhausted even my legs/arms felt dead x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.