Starting Mirtazapine, I go on holiday in 10 days, should I wait until I'm back?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I've been on 20mg & 10mg of Citalopram but it hasn't worked for me. My doctor has recommended to change to Mirtazapine and to start tonight. I go on holiday on 14th July, I'm starting to think I should wait until I'm back to start them due to the side effects. What do you think? Claire x

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claire:  As a person who has been taking Mirt for over 20 years, I can truthfully say starting and withdrawing from Mirt is NOT easy.  My doc told me it takes about 3 weeks for the benefits of the med to kick in when you start but during the time leading up to that, you may feel many side effects which I can tell you are not pleasant.  How long will you be on holiday and do you have enough meds to carry you over until you get back?  If so, I'd suggest you wait because not only it there the possibility of side effects going on Mirt but the change in drug class -- Mirt is a tetracyclic antidepressant (celexa -- what you have been taking is a SSRI --they react differently in your bode).  Whatever you decide, hope you enjoy your holiday.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying. It's not much of a holiday. We're actually going to be scattering my dads ashes so it's going to be a difficult couple of days. I've taken the plunge and started them tonight so we shall have to see. I'm trying to stay positive. Yes, I've just realised the difference, I wasn't aware of this so I'm trying not to let my brain go into overdrive! Thank you again x

• Posted

Hi.  I am new to this medication.  Im currently on 40mg Prozac and my doctor has added 15mg of Mirt.  Can I ask about weight gain.  Ive read it can cause huge weight gain. I am working on trying to loose weight that I have gained from steroids, I have artritis

thank you

?Hannah

• Posted

Hi Hanna:  Yes, there is the potential for significant weight gain, especially if you are prone to gaining.  Might be a "hard row to hoe" if you are trying to lose weight while starting on Mirt.  Each of our systems are different; however, so you won't know for sure until you start the med.  I started gaining right away and had to watch my diet.  Since Mirt can take as long as 3-6 weeks to begin showing its beneficial effects, weight gain can creep up on you slowly.  Keep your eyes on the scale.

• Posted

Hi Claire I would wait until after your holiday if you can.Your only a week away and if you can cope until then by all means do.You never know how you will react and a little over a week isn't enough time to find out.Been on Mirt for about 6 1/2 months starting at 15mg upping to 30mg about 4 1/2 months ago along with Gabapetin and the side effects will still be there at only about 10 days.Hope this helped .Godd luck and God Bless You.Prayers to you.Bob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.