starting on 20mg Citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've just been prescribed 20mg Citalopram by my GP, it is the first time in some years since I was prescribed anything to combat anxiety and I had to stop those (can't recall the name) because of bad side effects including nausea, vomiting, and sleeplessness - the side effects truly exacerbated things. Recently, my anxiety has become much worse and resulted in more frequent panic attacks for the first time in years, hence the GP's prescription.

I've been trying to research side effects and I'm worried at the level of affliction Citalopram has on people. I understand everyone will react individually however with a bad past experience of side effects I am increasingly anxious about this, even despite discussing with my GP - but the double-edged sword is that from forums, it's clear that people are reaping the benefits of sticking to it.

I haven't yet started taking it and was planning to this evening, I just wanted to know if anyone had any advice for taking the first step and setting / sticking to a routine of taking them, even through the various side effects. I don't want to start and give up if the side effects are difficult but there is a chance they can help too early for example. 

Appreciate any advice

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi will I have been on these for the last six weeks I had feeling sick no appetite racing thoughts sweating and really bad tiredness however most of the side effects have now gone apart from the tiredness which is still there yesterday I did write on here that I was worried that they was not working but however I went back to work today and spoke with the pharmacist and he has said tiredness is a side effect  and also had some good advice from people on here  people suffer from different side effects And some don't the only way you will find out is give it a go and see how you get on 

• Posted

Thanks Maria, that's part of the concern, that the side effects can detract from the progress they could make. I appreciate your response, I hope they continue to benefit you now the side effects are dissipating 

• Posted

Hi Will I was prescribed Citalopram about 12 years ago for panic attack’s and anxiety. It was life threatening jumping out of bed during the night walking for miles until I was exhausted. I kept seeing the horrors of the results of serious roads accidents I attended in the military and civilian police. I was prescribed 20mg reduced to 10mg which I am still on today and I can truly say it has saved the wonderful life I have today. Several times I tried to stop taking it but the horrors came back. So now I realise it is absolutely essential to carry on and I have no side effects.
    • Posted

Thanks Iain, I can't imagine seeing what you've seen but I am glad you have found things helpful even as long as 12 years later and that you describe life as wonderful. I wish you the best and thanks for your advice, will definitely be helpful in seeing it through even through the harder times. Thank you and best regards

• Posted

always take the medicine nearly the same time every day ,so that the ssri kicks in at the same time each day.
  • Posted

I've been on and off them for years and all the side effects go away eventually, you just have to ride them out. It seems like forever at the time but it's not really that long a time. The benefits when they come are very subtle but grow in time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.