Starting on venlafaxine need help with side effects!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started on Venlafaxine the lowest dose, I was on that for a week then went to 75 mg. IV been on the 75 mg for 1 week so far and IV felt high anxiety and really dizzy. The doctor said it'd eventually go away after 2-8 weeks. It's really hard to do things when I'm dizzy and it's really annoying. IV been on a lot of different anxiety meds and just want one to work. Can anyone please help me with how long the side effects last and if this pill will eventually help my anxiety?! Thank you for your time.

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It can take up to 8 weeks for the symptoms to subside. It will settle x
    • Posted

Thank you very much Elaine, it's just so hard adjusting when I get switched all the time until they find the rite med to help me. It's just so exhausting. But thank you very much. Means a lot.
    • Posted

I remember I was on 8 different kinds before veneflaxine. Finally this was the one for me. I must warn you, it's a nightmare to come off. The side effects are horrendous. That aside this tablet safed my life. Best of luck xxx
    • Posted

Thank you so much! I'm hoping that this will help me and give me my life back! Thanks again!
    • Posted

I just don't get why doctors insist on raising the dose before your system even has a chance to respond to the lowest dose.  Ideally, you'd go on 37.5 mg for a month, reassess and raise the dose at that point.  You'd have less trouble with side effects that way.

The brain has to remodel in response to the action of the medication; the bigger the dose the worse the symptoms while your system tries to adapt.  A week was not long enough to adapt to the low dose.   If you are having too much trouble at 75, ask your doc if you can go back to 37.5 mg and hold there for awhile.

I had a doc who did something similar to me with Viibryd.  Put me on the low dose for 2 weeks which was working out ok, and then she raised the dose to double, and I had the worst anxiety and insomnia I had ever had in my life.  It was unacceptable to me and I went back to the lowest dose and then off.

• Posted

Hi Robert,

Anybody that has taken this med can tell you that it is the Godfather of all side effects. I get them regularly, as having been on them for 10 years, I am very slowly weaning off. The side effects and withdrawal symptoms seem to go hand in hand.

Although awful, they do subside. Some people have found that taking a neat omega 3 fish oil and anti nausea meds (just over the counter stuff) can help with some of the side effects. I know that dizzy/vertigo feeling, and it's the pits. Feels like a constant state of jet lag and hang over all blended together. Hope you feel better soon.

Hx    

• Posted

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for there insite! It means so much! Thank you again. I will be talking to my doctor soon.
  • Posted

Just an update, there taking me off of the Effexor and I have a doc app on the 16th to figure out what else I can be put on. IV been on so many though I'm feeling hopeless,, thank you all
    • Posted

There will be one that suits you. It's just mulling through them to find the correct one for you. Please hang on in there. I know you must feel so disheartened at the moment but time really is the key. Not good I know when you feel so crap but once they find the right medication you'll begin to feel so much better. Your doing so well recognising which ones aren't right for you. Keep in contact Robert. Knowing there are so many people who really do understand always helps. Best of luck x
    • Posted

Thank you so so so much Elaine! It means so much you have no idea! I see the doctor Monday and will let you know. Again thank you so so much for the encouraging words!
  • Posted

Hi Robert, have you been put on venlafaxine for anxiety?  I have had a lot of experience as a patient being prescribed antidepressants and similar drugs.  The drug that I have found most helpful for my anxiety is Pregabalin, but as far as I know it's not the first drug doctors tend to offer.  On pregabalin I have stayed calm through job interviews and rows with my manager at work.  I have found it really very effective.
  • Posted

Listen robert buddy ul b grand just stick ti them my problem has been that i take them and after 6 or 7 weeks i feel brill and feel like ive no need for tablets cuz i dont like them and never have this is all new to me too buddy the problem is this things happen in life and we gota deal with it we will get through it ive had anxiety roughly 6 years now and i dnt think it will ever leave but i promise im here for you buddy when u need me hope your well peace my friend
    • Posted

Thank you so so much for thee encouraging words! It means such a great deal! If you ever need to talk I'm here as well thanks again
  • Posted

Well robert was back trackin to see how ur keepin things will look up buddy trust battke the side effect and the horror thats goes with it but trust the light do come ive had numerous a&e visits all related to anxiety nearly goin bonkers but the cloud clears buddy trust that it mite b chemical imbalance ir hereditry or waev it is fact is its grown on us and medication is our knife that cuts it off wink
    • Posted

Thank you so much! So there gonna take me off of that one med and put me on Prozac. I'm slowly getting taken off of it. A few more days and I'll be off and switching.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.