Starting the fight against panic and anxiety!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have just joined and have started day 1 of fluoxetine.  

Like many who suffer from this inflection it is a hidden war that is panic attacks and anxiety.  I have been fight this war for 5 years now and have finally given into taking medication.  Part of the issue for me is I have a vomiting phobia, so nausea sends me into panic and stops me from taking medication that has vomiting or nausea as a side effect. This makes today a huge day for me, taking this first capsule and not ending up in hospital.

I find that I am able to survive my attacks now with distraction such as knitting or colouring.  Before I would end up running out of the house in the middle of the night under the influence of fight or flight.  Now I force myself to sit and focus my hands.

I hope this medication works.  I want my life back!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi the side effects at the beginning are tough you may benefit taking them with some gaviscon try and ride it out good luck xx
    • Posted

Hi,

Thank you for your comment.  Today hasn't been too bad, only now starting to feel sick and agitated, but going to try some toast and back to knitting. 

How has your day been? x

• Posted

A bit crap today but I'm only into week 3 of increase I've taken this med before with good outcome its not a quick acting drug hope all settles with you it's no fun I do a bit of mindfullness on YouTube it helps xx

• Posted

Simple put safest drug to take there really isn't side effects your fear and worry's about side effects create these awful feelings more you worry the worse you'll feel thinking it's the drug that's causing this issue but in the end it's just your mind trapped in that cycle of fear.  Fluoxetine isn't even an anti depressant it's an inhibitor that tells your body by sending a signal to stop chucking away the serotonin all it does so don;t let it scare you i was on 60 mg and was fine first time on them myself i freaked i was scared but once i calmed down it was all good trust me :P

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.