Starting to feel philosophical 're extension😉

Posted , 6 users are following.

17 weeks post TKR and feel pretty lucky that I haven't had some of the problems others have had. Not saying it's not been and still is a haul. Got my bend to+ 125 to +130 and maintaining. Been told once goal achieved maintain bend exercises 3 times a week twice daily.

However I think I got a bit obsessed with this goniometer reading lark!! Really I think.its about quality of life and improvement from pre-op. I think a lot of us get this way and even that's a bit subjective 😁

Have been obsessed with extension -17 post now -7 to -10 and will to continue to work at it. In reality had a gradually worsening flexion deformity for over 30 years so guess it could take for ever lol!!

So have decided the bend allows me to do what I need (bike,stairs etc) and even with my extension my gait is better -no stick or limp as before tkr.

I will continue to work hard on extension but just wondering how long you go on for ....12 months, 18 months ??? I am working on building quads with band exercises, pool, aquatone and bike building and know this can take 18 months +.

Has anyone else been in this situation with extension? Any tips? I'll see my surgeon in May so will discuss then.

All the best everyone, Jan

1 like, 70 replies

70 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Jan, you are absolutely right!  My physio had never mentioned a goniometer and when I came on this group and people were talking about measuring the angle of bend I had no idea how they did it but as soon as I found out I bought the goniometer and am still using it from time to time but it's not because I'm pushing myself to get to a particular number, but more the enjoy the novelty of improvement in the bend.  I do keep telling myself that I don't really need to keep checking it every few days now and was wondering at what point I stop being aware of the degree of bend because really, if I never get more than the 130 I've got now, I'll be perfectly happy.  But it IS an obsession to bring that knee up to as tight as the bend will go as I'm sitting watching tv in the evenings!  I think we get it knocked into our brains from before we even have the op that success is all about 'THE BEND' and that it's our responsibility to achieve!  So it's hard to start relaxing about it.  I want to build quads too but need the other knee done!!!!!  Roll on the date for that!  My extension was 0 from the start and still is but my worry is over extending because of the hypermobility issue.  I wish I knew others that had hypermobility who could reasure me it won't overextend, because I'm a tad nervous about that happening at some point.  But as you said, knee function is less about numbers but more about being able to lead a normal life.

• Posted

Hi Chris my physio used one for the 6 sessions I was given post ok.

I think your + 130 bend is great was told by my physio +110 is fine post tkr. I think the USA has more rigid targets than here in the UK from what I have read on this useful forum and they seem to be more advanced in their approach.

Lol I do still use the goniometee just not twice a day like at the start!! Looking back I think I pushed myself far too hard in the early weeks. A lesson for when I need the 2nd tkr hopefully not for a few years.Saving for that one already as probably the NHS will not do it lol!!

I suppose with hypermobility the danger is if overextension it could make the prosthesis unstable? Not sure of how it might be problematic? Is hypermobility something you are born with and has that contributed to having Osteoarthrits?

I was apparently at 0 extension at time of op. Physio and surgeon have not been concerned 're my -7 to -10 extension In fact the Regtrar flippantly stated that they are happy with anything below -25. However I think as I'm only 56 I might need a revision later on and apparently ROM is never as good with that so want to get it straighter!! I think 10% of tkr ops are for vagus flexion deformities mostly secondary to RA but there doesn't seem to be much on extension outcomes on researching.No one on here seems to.have extension problems but all about the BEND lol we should write a song about that!!! I will vontonu but am not hoing to get obsessed or so I keep telling myself?

Well I really hope that you don't have to wait too long for your second knee.

All the bestJan

• Posted

Jan, I'm sorry but I burst out laughing when I read you were using the goniometer twice a day LOL!  I thought I was obsessive LOL!  But yes, seriously, who knows how the NHS will go and I must admit a couple of weeks ago I looked up private ops for knee replacements.  But I really want mine done by the same person and he's only NHS anyway, and it doesn't look at the moment as though there is a long waiting list, so I might be OK, but will certainly be relieved to be given a date!  You may find you're OK when you need yours done too - it all depends on what happens with the NHS in the meantime, I guess.

I've asked on an Ehlers Danlos group (that's what I've got) about over extension after knee replacements to see if anyone has had any problems.  Hopefully that MIGHT be reassuring!  Yes, it was something I was born with and could do lots of 'party tricks' from birth, but the main way it affected me was one child born 6 weeks early, threatening to miscarry with another and actually miscarrying with a third pregnancy and prolapses and stuff like that.  I DO think it played it's part in the arthritis too because the joints are all a bit unstable because of laxity.  Everything over extends such as elbows and knees and shoulders and ankles are too loose, and spine is odd too.  But I've not had it nearly as badly as some - some are in a wheelchair by their teens!

Yes, we should definitely write a song about the bend LOL!  I'm laughing again now LOL!  Time for the goniometer to come out now LOL!  I actually keep mine in a little table with a drawer right next to the recliner LOL!  We need these things at hand LOL!  So many times I say to my husband who's stretched out on the sofa watching tv 'can you come and measure my bend' and he informs me he's got to get up to do it, but it's part of his duties LOL!  We are funny, aren't we LOL!

All the best to you too:-)))))

• Posted

Right now I understand. We have a friend who has an 18 year old daughter diagnosed with that follow an electric shock so have read about it.I I know it has cargo g degrees but can't be pleasent. It probably gives you perspective though to get on with it. Rehab is hard but it's a process and you have to.laugh at the downs when you are up.

Read a post from Chico Marx on here great respect for his attitude after what he's experienced with himself and his family. Guess it's ok to vent but hopefully the majority will come out the other end better than pre ok.

Pleased we can still laugh live is too short !

• Posted

Jan, did you mean someone was diagnsed with Ehlers Danlose BECAUSE of having an electric shock????  Or just that it was discovered then?

Yes - at the end of the day you have to deal with what you're given and make the best of it!  For sure!  And look forward, not back!  And laugh:-)))))  And eat cake:-)))))

• Posted

Mums the carrier didnt know this until their daughter became ill after an electric shock. Apparently can be dormant and this activated it. Their daughter has been poorly peg tube fed, septacamia etc as well as her joint probs. However I think there are several grades of this she's been unlucky but it's been hard for them to find a Consultant who understands the condition. The siblings have been tested and two others have the gene but have to be careful 're trauma and shock apparently. The cases I have come across at work were certainly milder with mild joint problems not as systemic. You probably know more than me.

• Posted

My RA has stayed quite stable. Finger and thumb swelling are my problems. I don't think it affects my TKR. Now that I am mostly off the opioids, I am more aware of the aches. However, when or if I need pain meds, my rheumatologist has given me prescription strength Naporoxen (500 mg) and prescription strength ibuprofen (800 mg) to deal with any RA pain concerns. That might help some people here to look into. Long term those meds can be a stomach concern, but for minor TKR aches they are wonderful.

• Posted

Yes my RA is pretty stable too on immunosuppresents and NSAID with Omepraxole cover and analgesia if needed. Do have mild flares most joints but manageable but knees have been worst affected hence the Osteoarthritis.

I think it's difficult for me to know if any swelling is from soft tissue due to that or the op. Considering I pretty much sailed through this op never took Oramorth and only Tramadol for a week then when back to usual regime. The NSAID have really helped totally agree. I sometimes use low dose Amitrtptilline to sleep due to neck RA with nerve pain in scalp so this also helped see me through early TKR nights.

We are truly blessed that modern medicine addresses RA. In my 20s I was diagnosed with severe RA and feel blessed that modern medicine kicked it into suppression !! It's also helped us with this!

• Posted

Oh WOW!  I had NO idea that something could activate it like that!  Yes, the range goes from mild to horrific.  It's very easy for people to tell if they've got it - they use the beighton score, but so few are aware of having it.  I wasn't diagnosed until I was 65!  It's a case of putting the whole picture of what's going on in the body together.  GP's rarely do that.

• Posted

Absolutely they certainly had to push for their daughter. It's s poorly understood condition.

Happy Easter Chris and all the best

• Posted

And the same to you Jan - and all on here - I wish you all as pain free an Easter as possible!!!!!
  • Posted

I am 16 weeks post op. I am walking about .5 miles and working up to 1 mile.  I was discharged from PT at 12 weeks. I still have trouble sleeping ( getting comfortable), and wind up watching old episodes of Twiloght Zone on Netflix ! I have not taken pain meds in two days , and are doing most things I used to do. Back at school with 87 pound dog. My point to all of this is that it does get better. I once posted a thread called. " Depressed, Discouraged and Disappointed". I was so unhappy, pain was constant. This group gave me so much support. Keep in touch with the forum.  BTW my extension is not perfect, and I have stopped agonizing about it.

Ellen

• Posted

Thanks Ellen

You sound likely are doing great new.it up.

I'm ok just the extension but am getting a bit more later back about it but not giving up.

I can't walk more than a mile without swelling but that's normal and some of that is probably due to soft tissue RA swelling anyway.

Back to work next week phased return physical job too but will be pleased to get into it again. I think.my hubby will love the house to himself again as he works from home and my exercise regime cramps his routine lol!!

• Posted

Jan, that is about only thing I never really had a problem with - extension. Home therapy told me I could possibly end up with hyper extension. I haven't given it much thought. Only once when I sat too long at the hair salon my extension went down to -2.

I just wish I could get to flexion that "sticks". With my quad palsy it is very easy to overdo it and of course resulting in a lot of swelling. I haven't been measuring at home except for going on how it feels. I am ever so grateful I am at 115 now. Once made it all the way to 116. Then the hair salon happened and dropped to a whopping low of 97.

Of course we are very attached to the outcome and not just for continued and future function of the leg. For me it is the amount of work and the painful manipulations - so much agony goes into achieving it.

• Posted

Milla, are you normally prone to hyperextending the knees or was this just after the operation?
    • Posted

Why did they say you could end up with hyper extension?  Did they give a reason?  What would have caused it?
    • Posted

Chris this was home therapist during the first 5 weeks after surgery. I was so drugged up I didn't ask. She kept remarking during the 5 weeks how "unusual" it was to have 0 extension from right after surgery and maintaining it. Like I mentioned I only lost that once but only to -2 and that lasted maybe a week. My out patient therapist has never mentioned anything that is why I don't think about her comments. I am pretty sure my pt would have noticed if anything was wrong. I know that my OS is really happy about that. They are always talking how nice and "straight" my leg is. I just remembered her telling me that when I read this post. I am not even going to look it up. If pt is not worried I reckon I am okay😬

• Posted

I've heard back from someone on the Ehlers Danlos group and they have had the knee hyperextend backwards so I've now asked if it caused any problems.  They said their knee did this before the op too, so continued after so I wanted to check it didn't damage the new joint or the ligaments etc.

• Posted

The lady on the ehlers Danlos group has experienced hyperextension with her knee replacements but it's not caused any problems and her knees have lasted longer than was expected, and it's not caused leg damage either, so I'm going to relax about it.  But still try and build up muscles to help keep it all stable.

• Posted

Definitely have to be proactive! I think I would have noticed if it was hyperextended. With going to a very good excellent rehabilitation center and seeing the pt twice a week I feel very "safe" and I never really have to wonder or worry about anything because I get any questions answered and I am closely monitored. Also.... 😜 I think I am becoming desensitized - as you know you get a million different pains and aches and 99% of the time the doc says it is normal. Almost nothing surprises me anymore about this crazy leg!

• Posted

Mine just slips back a fraction too far from time to time, catching me unawares, but doesn't hurt or anything - just feels sort of uncontrolled.  But as I just mentioned on the vacuum cleaning thread, I did the wii balance board more yesterday and both knees are a tad swollen behind the knee and calf muscles ache, so I guess this might just help control the movement of the knee if I can build up these muscles.  I absolutely agree - ANYTHING that happens after a knee replacement is 'normal'.  It must be fairly easy to train staff for when people phone and ask about various aspects happening - reply 'Oh that's normal':-))))))

• Posted

No!  That's because we just don't have a clue what encompasses 'normal' do we LOL!  My hospital has asked me to write a list of useful information that I feel could be included with the sheets they give out, such as when to ditch the crutches for sticks and go from two sticks to one and at what point to stop walking as you're originally told - crutches, operated leg and other leg up to crutches level, but then gradually increase the gait so you're walking normally, and so on - all the questions I had and fumbled through.  So that will keep me busy for a little while:-)

• Posted

Chris,

At this point I feel if I call, indicate I recently had a TKR, and complain about seeing purple and green frogs and woke up with my hair naturally curly, the answer would be: "You had a TKR? Oh, that is normal."

Once I had a full-in home therapist when mine was out of town. Now keep in mind that home therapy starts right after surgery so it takes place the first 4-6 weeks after surgery. This was around week 2. She came in and asked me how I was feeling.

(My "Ally Mcbeal" andwer in my head: "I am dying. Pretty darn sure I will not live to see supper lady. Call my children. They have to come now. Make sure that @ss of a sister of mine don't claim I promised her my new Hoover."

So I told her how much pain I was in. She told me that she "NEVER" seen a patient in severe pain two weeks after a TKR. 🙄🤔

• Posted

Milla, I saw what you'd written on the email to notifiy me the post was there, up to naturally curly and KNEW exactly what you were going to say LOL!  YES!

But the next bit shocked me!!!!  She'd NEVER seen a patient in severe pain two weeks after at TKR???????  Where had she been?????  I mean, I know I wasn't, but then I'm superwoman LOL!  No, seriously, you only have to look at the posts on here to see how common severe pain is!  I've asked another question on this group - I'm keen to know who has had both knees done by the same surgeon but got very different after effects!  Waiting for replies now:-))))  I'm rather hoping that those that have had one a lot more painful that the other had a different surgeon for each, so that if I've got the same surgeon I'm in with a hope of a doddle of a ride again!

• Posted

That's a great point you made about TKR/different outcomes. Post that question on a new thread. I think it will get lost among all the comments for the original post. I would definitely want to hear what members of the forum have to say.

Ellen

• Posted

Chris, you'd think the severity of the condition would affect recovery outcome. From posts I read it does not seem to be the case. Much older people who suffered from bone on bone for decades and they're up and about walking without assistance in no time.

I did read that more women between ages 45-65 tend to fall in the difficult recovery group.

I watched a show last night where patients over 600 pounds had gastric bypass and then have to get surgery to remove the sagging skin. This guy was over 700 pounds before his surgery so you can imagine how bad his knees were. He walked with a limp ( without assistance) and I noticed that his right leg was very swollen. Going up and down the stairs, half kneeling to get something etc. During his consult I saw the TKR scars on both knees. Turns out he was only 3 weeks after the right TKR. My mouth hung open.

Obviously with my experience I have a lot of concern and fear about my right knee. I don't think I can do this again. There is a chance it could be a totally different experience. But equally so there is a chance that I will go through another nightmarish experience. Coworker's mom had both done about a year apart. First one was a nightmare and second one was a breeze. People may say that knowing how to deal with makes the second one easier and I could see how my newfound knowledge can help me with the recovery a second time around but it doesn't mean I won't have the same experience.

• Posted

That's an interesting point Milla.  Yes, thinking about it, you'd think that people like me, who have had bone on bone for many years, and truly restricted with walking all that time,  would be struggling more (I'm 67) and age wouldn't help as well.  Phew - the chap going up and down the stairs etc. at three weeks post op - unbelievable!

Was your coworkers Mum's knees done by the same person or did someone different do each knee?  Do you know?  I wonder if it always goes that way - that the easiest is the second done, or if it can go the other way.  We just don't know, do we!  I think though really we have to take the bull by the horns and know that at the end of the day we'll be better off than we were to start with because with arthritis there is no end to the constant pain and it can only get worse, whereas with a TKR you do expect it to come out alright in the end, even if there are 'hitches'.  That's not to make light of the problems that can arise though - you and some others on here have been through nothing short of a horrific time, for sure!

• Posted

I found the surgery brutal. The recovery was a nightmare. At this point, about 16 weeks, I am walking well and have resumed most of my pre-op activities. Like you, I would have to think long and hard about my other knee. Going through all the pain and PT again?  Nope. 
    • Posted

Ellen, ditto. That sums up my experience. I have been through some really bad stuff in my life (haven't we all!), but this hands down the most painful and difficult thing for me and it affected me emotionally too.

• Posted

Same surgeon. You can look at all the variables and still cannot know which way it will go.
    • Posted

Emotional? Ha. I was depressed , discouraged and disappointed. I was on ocycodone for 8 weeks round the clock, then just night time until recently. Sleep still awful. Take prescription strength Naproxen at night. You can cut my left leg off before I will do this again. No one understands how brutal this surgery is.

Ellen

• Posted

That's useful to know, thanks Milla!  Can't take it for granted that I'll get an easy ride next time then!

• Posted

It does seem to be a bit of a lottery doesn't it? Others have noted the two knees having totally different outcomes! There doesn't seem to be anything different on going into surgery, so why the differences afterwards. Maybe it's that one leg is stronger or weaker & gives the different outcome??

A bit worrying when you've had a relatively easy way as I have, will the other be really bad?? No one knows??

Good luck with your 2nd TKR Chris. Do you know when you go back?

I still haven't heard!!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Yes, it is interesting how two knees on the same person with the same surgeon can vary like that.  Sorry to hear you've not heard yet Marilyn.  A friend in Australia has been waiting over a year and is still waiting for her appointment date for surgery!  I go on Tuesday to get signed off by the physio and then can get my appointment for the surgeon again - I think that will be about three weeks, and then they'll book the other knee in, which I THINK will be about another 8 weeks, so a little while to wait, but while I'm desperate, I'm just telling myself to enjoy the summer in the meantime:-))))  Once I've got a date for the surgery though I'll be so pleased that I can start planning everything.

• Posted

Ellen I had post op depression. I also think I was in shock. Nothing can prepare you for the severe relentless pain. Plus as I have mentioned I was a "rock star" in the hospital. I was euphoric in the hospital for 3 days how "well" I am doing not knowing that it was the nerve block still in my system. Day 4 all hell broke lose. Come to think of it that is probably why your stay here in the US is restricted to 3 days. Lol.

• Posted

I had general anesthesia . One night in hospital. Trying to get in car to go home with hubby saying "bend your leg". Makes me laugh thinking about that.

Ellen

• Posted

That is hysterically funny.

I had instances like that but nowhere as funny as yours. I complained about having to sleep on my back - I normally sleep on my stomach with my surgery pulled up really high and I think a friend said well why don't you just sleep on your stomach? That was week 1 or 2. Week 17 and still on my back. But I had the "Why don't you just.... Just. Haha.

• Posted

That's interesting Milla.  I thought you 'had' to sleep on your back but the second night discovered I could sleep very comfortably on my side - the side of the knee op.  It took about four weeks before I could comfortably sleep on the opposite side though.  Are people supposed to sleep on their back to keep the leg straight and has anyone actually been TOLD to sleep on their back or could they just not get comfortable on their side?

• Posted

Hi Milla & Ellen,

I laughed Ellen at the why not bend the leg!!!

You are right Milla about the why not just..... I think we all had those.

A friend said to me at about 3 weeks po why don't you just have a bath....? I'd been complaining about our shower! She convinced me it was a great idea & like an idiot after she'd gone I did!!!

My husband is a little mutt & Jeff (Deaf) & was outside, but I thought he would hear me shout!! Bear in mind at that point I could hardly bend my op knee much at all & the other isn't much better! I had let the water out & couldn't get out of the bath!!! Tried this & that just got frustrated & cold! 1/2 an hour later, luckily my daughter popped round after work & alerted him so he got me out!!! He said "I wondered where all the banging on the window was from".

I can get out of the bath now but only go in there if he is in the house, I have my phone & he has his! Just in case!! But usually just use the shower!

Steer clear of the only justs .......

Enjoy your Easter, it's the one celebration where you are actually encouraged to eat chocolate!!🍫

We'll all be back to normal tomorrow & mustn't eat this or that .....

Never mind, even if the weather's turned on the cold side again, summer IS coming!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

My hospital info came with advice to back on to the car seat with both legs against the side and slide back as far as you can over the middle and then get legs in, but I think it's far easier with the left leg than the right, as a passenger.  Anyone noticed the difference between the two operated legs when getting in the car?

• Posted

I was told by my ward physio before discharge 6 weeks on back slleeping. That was hard as I'm a side sleeper as rhinitis! Thankfully at 2 week flow up surgeon stated ok to sleep on side with leg straight and pillow between legs but found it better to lie on operated side.

I fed back the conflict in advise.

I was really happy with my care but certainly pre op info could have been improved. Was told to tube from midnight went in at 07.30and not operated on until after 17.00 hours. Pre op also told me not to take my RA meds. Thankfully saw a very competent anaethetisr who allowed me water up until 14.30 and told me to take all medications so was a lot more comfortable

Happy Easter , Jan

• Posted

Oh LOL!  MARILYN!!!!  BUT - now tell me just how you get in and out of the bath!  I wold LOVE to have a bath but can't kneel on the unoperated leg and would worry about kneeling on the operated one, and I've never forgotten Mike's description of how he got in and out LOL!

YES - enjoy the chocolate:-)))))  Chocolate is good for you!:-))))

• Posted

Ah - VERY interesting Jan!!!!!  Yes, I was worried about rhinitis too.  But on the second night, when I was still in hospital, I slept on my side with leg bent and carried on from there.  It sounds as though my preop advice was a bit better than yours - was told to take meds that morning, but my hospital was VERY keen to hear any ideas I had to improve anything so I sent them a little list.  There really wasn't very much though.  But it did include stuff like 'should you sleep on your side' and at what stage to go to sticks etc. because there was no info on that at all.

• Posted

Yes, I was told to sleep on my back as the leg has to be straight in a resting position. Besides there was no way I could lie on my side (which automatically creates a bend in the knee). It was too painful. About 4 weeks ago I started lying on my side for about 15 min a day with pillows between my leg from groin to foot. Also I can only do this lying on my "good" side. My pt said I could rest on my side for 15 min x 4 a day. But then you have to consider my slow progress and amount of pain. I think OS said sleeping on back for at least 6 weeks. I am still sleeping on my back for necessity and of course my pt's instructions. I think this must have helped with maintaining such a straight leg. I am getting used to it. But would love to sleep like I normally do.

• Posted

Oh no! You must have panicked! My OS also said no shower until staples came out. My app was for 17 days after surgery. Sponge baths that long just don't cut it. Plus being told not to shave a week before the surgery or until staples is out - my leg looked pretty bad! I asked the nurse why I couldn't and she said he is diligent against any nicks or cuts so close after surgery and infection.

• Posted

My surgeon used "surgical glue" so I was able to shower as soon as I got home. Of course, no one thought about climbing a flight of stairs to get upstairs!  

I had had to wear a brace at night for three weeks to force me to sleep on back. Between the brace and the compression stockings, I had one hot leg.

Ellen

• Posted

Ah, this gets 'interestinger and interestinger'!  I wasn't told that at all, and actually slept on my side in hospital, so it will be interested what they make of this point that I raised on the notes for them to consider.

• Posted

I was told I could shower as soon as I got home, but had a very sturdy waterproof dressing on it and that was SO good to be able to shower!  No-one mentioned hair removal on legs afer the op, only that they shouldn't be shaved within the week before.  But a year ago I bought one of those smoothskin gold hair zappers and that effectively removed most of the dark hair, with just a few stray ones coming through these days, and that was a big relief to me because I was the original 'hairy mary' LOL!

• Posted

My lot gave me a very sturdy waterproof dressing which I SO appreciated!  So it was showers as soon as I got in the door.  It was the first thing I did before sitting down LOL!l
    • Posted

Just tried to tell you about the wonderful ipl machine I used to zap my legs with the year before that took virtually all the dark hairs off permanently but it got moderated out.  But since I was the original 'hairy lady' it was a huge relief not to have that to worry about.

• Posted

Hi Milla, not so much panic as cold & humiliated! I had visions of having to run the bath again & sitting there until he came in like a human prune!! Lol.

They put a waterproof Aquacell dressing over the staples so I could bath & shower (obv knee not submerged under water).

It was sooo good to get in the shower, i couldn't in hospital as I was hooked up to the drip & the dreaded Morphine Infusion Pump! It was a real pain just going to the loo! Such a shame as I had my own room, en suite, which had a wet room with a lovely shower, but I couldn't use it!

Yes I was also told not to shave for the week before & after the op, which was not nice!

Also the using of Hibiscrub for showering the night before & on the day of the op, inc washing hair in Hibiscrub!

Plus having to take a wee specimen in on the day of the op! Imagine that you've done all the other stuff. When you go in they tell you to go home as you have a bladder infection! It's all done in the name of infection control, which is good as I personally didn't want to come out of hospital with any extras other than the new knee!

I can catch whatever is going from the Grandchildren thank you, without hospital borne germs!!

I hope you've been enjoying your Easter weekend

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Well I can just about kneel on my other knee for enough time to get my operated leg under me & push up to stand, it's painful but done quickly is doable!! I couldn't bend my operated knee enough to do that though then, hence the shouting & banging on the window! Lol

I read what you said about sleeping on your side, I'm a side sleeper but was told to sleep on my back & NOT to put anything like a cushion under the operated knee. It's no wonder none of us could sleep!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I had HIbiscrub for the two showers before the op but was told not to use above the neck:-)

Don't talk about catching stuff from grandchildren:-(  Finally getting over the last cough which was a rotten one, and the one before only cleared up a week before the op, which was very worrying!

Did they measure everyone else's wee after their op?

• Posted

Oh you are lucky you can do that.  I can't.  The last time I knelt was 2012, when we had our last litter of kittens (used to breed them) and the struggle to get up was horrendous and that was the reason we stopped breeding.  I just couldn't kneel anymore:-(

Interesting that you were told to sleep on your back too!  This seems to be a general thing that we're hearing on the group!  I slept very well on my side LOL!

• Posted

Yeah lol! I found everything else hurt too as I was lying on my back! It became a horrible routine, get leg comfortable, then back would start, so shift a bit, then the other leg would play up, shift again, then the shoulder would start, shift a bit more, then the wretched wrist would start, shift again..... then the leg would say hey don't think you're sleeping tonight!! In the end I put pillows either side of my legs, and one on my right side for my right arm! That worked of a sort!? So glad those days are over & I am back on my right side again. Ahhhhh

As for the kneeling, it is all done very quickly, especially now I have a leg that bends!? Yay!! Lol

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I'm guessing that I should have been told to sleep on my back then, for a certain time, but I read all through my info and unless I missed it, I can't see anything there, and on the second night in hospital (and thereafter) I was on my side and very comfortable.  I only had one night where the knee wasn't comfortable and I asked on the group but pillows didn't help so I scrapped those and the next night was fine and it didn't keep me awake since.  The other knee did though LOL!  But hey, you can't win 'em all!  So now, even if the hospital told me to sleep on my back, I'd go on my side from the day I got home - it worked for me!

Oooooh  - I wouldn't DARE kneel on mine, but maybe it's just early days and come months down the line, I might reconsider LOL!    Off to get signed off today!  Only worry - and iot's not a real worry - I'm sure they'll sort it if it needs to be sorted, is I've got two internal threads coming out of the scar, that sometimes scab over and tend to catch on clothing a little bit, so maybe they'll cut them off closer to the scar.  I have cut them off from time to time but can't get that close to the surface.  Anyone else had threads coming out?

• Posted

Hi Chris, yes go with your gut instinct with the sleeping. If it worked for you, no worries.

I had an internal stitch come out, I still have a little mark in the scar where it was. They'll prob just cut it off close for you. I asked on here & the consensus was leave it it's no problem & happens a lot.

Good luck for today, I hope they get you straight back on the list. I'm just about to ring the hospital again to try to get mine!!!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I did mention the sleeping position on the list of stuff I sent the hospital when they asked me to do it from a 'patient's perspective' and they've sent me a lovely email back to thank me and said that they can discuss all this at their next meeting soon (can't remember if I told you but they asked if I'd like to go on the panel there, but it was a bit too far to go to meetings) but yes, I'd have no worries about sleeping on my side.  But it could be that I didn't have a problem because I have hypermobility, which means everything stretches easier LOL!  Thank you for telling me about your internal stitch too:-))))

I SO hope you get some good news with your appointment now!  I don't know if mine will give me one today or I'll have to wait for one to come in the post.  But it's all a step in the right direction.:-))))  Fingers crossed for you!

• Posted

Just an update, I phoned the contact centre an appt had been made for me 8th December!!! Managed to get in on 25th October but will try for sooner in a few weeks!

I am not giving up, my left leg is permanently bent, no longer straightens! Still on Naproxen!!

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Oh, that sounds a long time off.  Do you want to go back to the same hospital to have it done or do you have other options that might be quicker?  I suspect you've already looked online to see if there is somewhere good that might be able to do it faster?  It IS frustrating when you're in such pain!  That was something that the hospital said to me about 10 years ago, when they first offered me knee replacements and I refused - they said don't wait until you're crippled because there might be a waiting list, but then you don't want to be booking this in until you need it, do you!  So you're between the devil and the deep blue sea really!  I'm HOPING the latest mine will be will be August time, but who knows until it's actually booked in.  Here's hoping they come up with something sooner for you at some point.  You're on the list for a cancellation, I guess?

• Posted

I'm afraid this hospital is about the quickest, so I'm stuck really! Still I'm not giving up & will ring regularly to see if I can bring it forward.

I was told in 2010 the only treatment that would work is TKR but I was too young, at 57, otherwise I would have had it done then!!

I hope you get your op soon.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Oh, that's frustrating.  But at least a date, even if it's not that soon, is something firm so if push comes to shove, it's SOMETHING to hang on to.

Yep just posted a bit earlier - flew through the post op with flying colours and a physio looking SO impressed (it was lovely!) and pre-op date for 15th May, and op will be 8 - 12 weeks after that!:-)))  The physio seemed to think that doing the pre-op exercises had got my legs in a good state for the op, and that had helped hugely.  So I'm grateful they handed those out at the pre-op assessment.

I do hope something will come up so yours can be brought forward though.  I was 57 when I first went too and they did tell me that they prefer people to be a little older but that mine were so bad that they would do them then.  I'm glad I did manage to hold out for so long though, but it was pure luck that I didn't have to wait a horrifically long time once I'd decided the time had come.

• Posted

Yes this isn't an operation to go into lightly! I must admit, I struggled on for as long as I felt o could. Everyone kept on at me, go & get it done, like it's getting you hair cut!!! Little do THEY know! I did put it off as it's a HUGE operation & I was scared! Having spoken to several of our patients who had TKR & didn't look back & being unable to do the things I usually enjoy, I toddled off & here I am!

I won't just leave it though for no2, I have been having sciatica down my other side & my Chiropractor has said to get it recorded on my health records! If lush comes to shove I will get my GP to re refer as urgent!!

Only time will tell.

Good luck for your second op.

Marilyn

XX

Ps I retire next Feb so maybe it's a good thing to wait until next year!! X

• Posted

I admit it was fright that put me off for so long.  I was NOT going to have knee replacements.  End of.  I was going to wait until there was some other solution LOL!  But when you get endless pain regardless of what you're doing, you realise the time is right.  Yes, you need to push for your second one - I do hope you can get it brought forward.  You and I might just end up getting our second ones done at the same time:-)))  Good luck with yours too!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.