Starting to feel philosophical 're extension😉

Posted , 6 users are following.

17 weeks post TKR and feel pretty lucky that I haven't had some of the problems others have had. Not saying it's not been and still is a haul. Got my bend to+ 125 to +130 and maintaining. Been told once goal achieved maintain bend exercises 3 times a week twice daily.

However I think I got a bit obsessed with this goniometer reading lark!! Really I think.its about quality of life and improvement from pre-op. I think a lot of us get this way and even that's a bit subjective 😁

Have been obsessed with extension -17 post now -7 to -10 and will to continue to work at it. In reality had a gradually worsening flexion deformity for over 30 years so guess it could take for ever lol!!

So have decided the bend allows me to do what I need (bike,stairs etc) and even with my extension my gait is better -no stick or limp as before tkr.

I will continue to work hard on extension but just wondering how long you go on for ....12 months, 18 months ??? I am working on building quads with band exercises, pool, aquatone and bike building and know this can take 18 months +.

Has anyone else been in this situation with extension? Any tips? I'll see my surgeon in May so will discuss then.

All the best everyone, Jan

1 like, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Not really sure how long I went on after TKR 5 years ago.

Not doing any exercises any more now.

You'll have to be guided by your surgeon.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.