Step backwards me thinks.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi All

I am 16 days today post TKR. I have been doing so well. I have a good bend on my knee and can get a good straight knee but the last couple of days I have been unwell with terrible pain. I haven't known what to do with my leg. I am just lying on my bed waiting for the next pain relief. I didn't sleep a wink last night the pain was so sharp it made me jump. I contacted the hospital re pain relief only to find I haven't been taking the correct doseage of meds infact only half of what I can take. I am now on codeine,paracetamol plus Tramadol for breakthrough pain. Is this normal to relapse after doing so well? How long does the pain last before it starts to improve? I could have quite easily chopped my leg off last night. X X X X

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Oh! Dear! I am so sorry to hear this Jackie. I am a day behind you post op and each day is different. Is the pain on the inner side of the knee? I keep having stabbing pains there. Maybe it's the tissues tightening up as they heal. I'm sure someone  will be along soon to give you reassurance that this too will improve.

• Posted

Im 5 wk into tkr and i dont get the sharp pains now

.there more of a realy bad ache.your early stage.hang in it will get better.x

• Posted

Oh dear Jackie...poor you but it gets better. I am 11 days post second TKR and had my other one done three years ago. What I vaguely remember is that I had considerable pain for about three weeks then it all seemed to settle down. 

Similar to yourself I experienced stabbing pains to the inner part of the knee and I honestly think that I was over doing the exercising because once I eased off with that it all became a bit more bearable.

This time I am taking the whole exercise regime at a more leisurely pace and only after taking the painkillers and followed immediately with ice.

The expression "no pain no gain" is so true after this op and believe you me it is worth it.

• Posted

3 weeks tomorrow for me.  I found improvement quick to start, now not so much.  I too have pain more at night mostly around the inside of my knee and then shooting down. Basically I think we're all different...there's no standard, sadly.  It would be nice to look forward to the day when everyone says no more pain.  I've also been suffering extreme fatique and just learned that I'm anemic as result of surgery.  Stick with the exercises.  I'm sure this is not a setback but rather a bad pain day.

• Posted

Sorry to hear.  I know at Stanford it is all about staying in " front"  of your pain.  To not have to play "catch-up" after it has started.  Definitely let your doctor know.  Pain can slow down the healing process.  Just make sure you do not have any fever. 

• Posted

I am 11weeks post surgery. I had similar sharp pains on the inside of my knee but only at night.  I would get maybe 5-10 in a row. My PT told me that is the nerves and tissue healing. All the pain is soft tissue pain. There are three layers that the surgeon had to sew back together so it's going to take some time for that to heal. I got off my pain meds as soon as I could so I could drive myself to PT. I was driving by day 7. I took Celebrex and Tylenol for pain and iced my knee pretty constant throughout the day. I am a person who can tolerate a high threshold of pain. It's going to hurt but it won't last forever. I haven't had any significant pain since week 8 or so. I have numbness in my patella and it feels weird but I know it will get better. I am at 127 degrees ROM and I would say my PT has me doing about 140 different kinds of squats and other exercises for my therapy. I am a paddle boarder and I was able to get go paddle boarding at week 8!  I am a very hard worker. I started kneeling on my knee at week six to get it used to kneeing again. I started slowly with a few seconds and worked my way up. At my 6 week Doctor appointment I got on my knees and stood up on my leg. I also worked out very hard prior to surgery on leg and hip strength. My PT says you get out of it what you put into it. Did it hurt to do PT?  You bet it did. Sometimes I cried but I did every single second of every single rep. It will get better. I am 59 years old. I will be having my other knee replaced in two years. I am a biker, backpacker, boater, paddle boarder. I want this!  Stay positive, take your meds, use ice. Ice is your friend. The pain will go away. Good luck

• Posted

You have probably been overdoing the exercise Jackie. take it easy.
    • Posted

Hi Elaine

Thank you for your comments

I think you are quite correct. I was pushing myself and not resting as I should. I seem to be on the mend now and I had a good nights sleep last night in fact I slept from nine last night until seven this morning.

J x

• Posted

Could you have an infection? My pt was worried about that in m third week bc of pain and tenderness.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa

Thank you for your comments.

I am seeing my PT tomorrow. Everything seems to have settled down now. I was myself concerned in case I had an infection. The wound looks super and no sign of any discharge. Hopefully I am on the mend.

J x

• Posted

So pleased you are on the mend again Jackie. It is worrying though when you think you are going backwards, 

I'm sixteen days now and had my staples out this morning. Afterwards we went for  a coffee in a lakeside cafe, popped into TKMaxx for comfy pants and even called in Tesco for a bunch of flowers. My brilliant nurse( my partner) was with me all the  way but I managed on my two crutches and felt much better psychologically for it afterwards. The change of scene did me good. I took it easy for the rest of the day, 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.