Sterilised but offered a coil to stop heavy bleeding...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I've been to see a gynae, and after explaining my 10+ years of heavy bleeding (blood clots) which floor me, he suggested a coil.  I have been sterilised (which I have found on researching that this caused all the heavy bleeding that I never had previous to being sterilised, which has resulted from post tubal ligation, something I never knew about till recently and lots of women are actually being ignored, their excuse is my thyroid, but I told him, that I never bled like this previous to being sterilised and he just huffed and shoved it to one side, what does he know!)  My point with the coil is, why would I need that if I have been sterilised?  They say it's to help with the blood flow, but I don't want to be going back and being prodded again to look for this coil.  I find it quite traumatising just having a smear test (due to previous rough handling) and really do not want to have this done.  He is also going to do a hysteroscopy, something else I am dreading as it is only for exploring to see if anything else is happening.  Fine, I understand that, but does anyone know if I am 'knocked out' for this procedure (as I hope I am) because I really do not want to go through with this for 10 to 30 mins without any anesthetic.  Sorry it's a long winded request.  I really appreciate any feedback on past experiences of this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracy, through my experience, I had one exploritary hysteroscopy lasting about 15 mins. and then one to remove some polyps, lasting about 40mins which was unsuccessful as they were too big. Both Procedures I was awake for and then had a further two hysteroscopy resections under anesthetic removing fibroids, both lasting about 3 hours each operation (glad I was sleeping) which I recovered really well from.  A coil was suggested to me also, there is a hormone in it that reduces bleeding but I didn't want it, for the same reason as you. Good luck with the path you choose, Regards Sarah
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Sarah, really appreciate it, you sound like you went through hell to get where you are now, I'm glad you're ok.  I am thinking of having an hysterectomy as I feel it's the only way forward for me, (I'm fed up of the periods), and have 2 lovely children with no intention for more (I'm 49 now).  I just don't know what to do at the moment.
  • Posted

I was sterilised about 15 years ago, and heard the same thing about heavier bleeding, which I did experience but put this down to having 3 children and family history my maternal grandmother was heavy, however, manageable.

I had a hysteroscopy and was put to sleep,  I also tried a coil and 2 days short of a month it expelled with a huge clot, I questioned why I needed a coil also being sterilised, but it is more about the estrogen relaese I believe.  I had previously prior to being sterilised had a coil one of the old copper ones, and ended up having to have this surgically removed, so I had experienced a bad time and was not keen to repeat.  However, you try anything when it impacts so much on your life.

You must be a saint to cope for 10 years, mine has been 2-3 years, good luck with your decision.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Valerie, I just thought it was normal to put up with it, and that it was a way of life (being a woman), until I heard a lot of bad experiences with sterilisation, I might as well have had an hysterectomy to save all this happening, but I don't know if it would have been a good idea - I'm looking into all my options.  The hysterectomy always appealed to me just because I hated the smear tests, (I'm such a wimp, but hardly surprising when you have to have instruments shoved up you roughly - ouch!)  Hope you are ok and have managed to sort yours out? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.