Stiffness in legs

Posted , 13 users are following.

i was diagnosed 17moths ago. I have been reducing slowly I am on 8mg at the moment, I was told that my shoulder problems were Rotato cuff problem since then have been having physio which has helped. My problem is getting up,after sitting down I am very stiff mostly in my legs. Once I am up I am ok no pain. I am still doing my 6 mile  walk every morning. This is also helping with my weight I have lost  20lbs since last September due to advice on this site cutting out most carbs only having a glass of wine at the weekend. My question is should I increase Pred or does anyone think it is something else? I really don’t want to have to go up to a high dose again but am open to others opinions. 

Answering what someone else said on this site my hair  has also gone curly and I can’t do anything with it. I wonder if it will ever go straight again. 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Margaret, I my just back on my taper after a very brief flare when up to 16.5 from 6.5mg stabilized and back down to 6.5 in 2 - 5 mg steps. It takes what it takes to stay ahead of the inflammation. At 6.5 tapering to 6 using 52 Day DSNS. Still nursing a sprained piriformis, which is more painful than the PMR at this time.

Treating the piriformis with ibuprofen.

Good luck, stay active, positive and try to smile. ☺️

• Posted

I am not sure what therapy are you applying to sprained piriformis, but for that area in general, because the muscles are so deep, I use tennis ball that I place under me while laying on the floor and apply pressure to a "trigger" spots to increase blood flow and reduce pain. Before doing anything,apply worm, wet towel to the area for 5min or so. Stretch afterwards.

• Posted

warm,wet towel works better biggrin
    • Posted

Hi Nick, I been going for a therapeutic massage, heating pad then a cold pack, CBD on my leg and foot. Read someplace that CBD might help with diabetic neuropathy. So I am giving it a try. Oh yes light walks. Tennis ball sounds like a good idea, I will give it a try. Thanks! ☺️
    • Posted

Thought for a moment you had found a new version of leeches...
    • Posted

Where do you get a therapeutic massage, it sounds wonderful?
    • Posted

Mine has always been provided either by a massage therapist (in Germany, worked as the local footy team physio) or by a physiotherapist here in Italy.
    • Posted

I have tried several physiotherapists, but none seemed to offer therapeutic massage that I am aware of. The swimming pool I go to includes a leg and foot massage in their spa area, but because I still have dressings on my leg they want to wait until my leg has healed, however they are more beauticians but may be as good, I don’t know. 
    • Posted

There is definitely a difference in how they are trained. I think they are far more aware of the benefits of therapeutic massage here. When I was looking for intramuscular stimulation in the UK I think I got the impression that their physios offered something useful. And I do know that sports physios will offer it - all forms of sports make great use of it these days. Especially manual mobilisation of trigger spots. Even on court!
    • Posted

I do go to a sports clinic to see my osteopath. I have been told they don’t have very good physios there though. You would have thought they should be first class! 
    • Posted

Right here in Los Alamos, NM Ptolemy. We may be in the mountains, but we do have a few perks. Los Alamos is a very interesting little town. Think positive with a smile. ☺️
    • Posted

Hmmm - but what are the people who see those physios looking for? And WHY do they think they aren't good?

• Posted

I think they are hoping general aches and pains to be sorted out. My osteopath has a brother who is also an osteopath and he is pretty useless too. Friends go to my osteopath as the physios have let them down. I must admit the physios I have been to, just two, were not that inspiring, just using tens machines on me, thank goodness my osteopath has come back from Canada. 
    • Posted

I wouldn't need to pay the hourly wait for TENS! But I have had a few outstanding physios - and the best have been over here.

• Posted

I think physios must be like rheumies good, bad and indifferent. I now own a tens machine although I do not really use it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.