Still a lot of pain when walking

Posted , 5 users are following.

Left TKA 15 weeks post -op. I still have a lot of pain when walking but try and walk everyday regardless.  When my home Pt had me do a leg lift ( 5 days post -op) I heard a small pop followed by excruciating pain. The PT said it was probably scar tissue and to avoid leg lifts for a couple of days. Anyway, that area on the inside of my knee cap has always bothered me especially when doing

heel slides. I think I created bursitis because of the friction the

slides caused. Does anyone else have knee pain when walking ? And has anyone suffered from bursitis in the area slightly below the knee cap? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi im also having the same problem. I'm 16 weeks out and im having pain swelling and bending . I'm seeing my dr. Wednesday. I have been having a weird feeling of liquid running down my leg. It's such a weird feeling. I have had pain right under my knee cap from day one and first they said swelling and now they say scar tissue. My PT also said no more leg lifts. I can't even climb steps or squat down without pain. Laying on the couch my knee hurts. Don't know how much more I can take.

• Posted

Shari Yes, yes I have the same wired feeling of liquid running down my leg. This has been a frequent occurance which I now attribute to bursitis . I completely forgot to mention it to my Physician but I will when I see my

PT. I have used a Dixie cup with ice and rolled it around the sensitive area for about 5-7 minutes, it has greatly relieved the pain and swelling , it's the only thing that works. Mention that sensation to your Doctor , I'm curious what he says .

• Posted

I did today and he looked at me and said he has never heard of this before he made me feel like crap.
    • Posted

I've gotten the same response. Odd, you would think these surgeons had seen it all and heard it all, as many surgeries as they claim to have done.

I still say the sensation is probably the bursa draining from the inflammation. Taking an anti-inflammatory, dixie-cup with ice as a rub and elevation is the treatment of choice.  

• Posted

oh poor you,no i dont have pain on walking just this ache most of the time
  • Posted

You're so new into recovery, don't worry yet, there's a long way to go.

• Posted

Thanks, I'm so impatient . All I hear from people I know is how happy they are with their new knee(s) . They never mention what they went through to get there.

• Posted

Had both knees done , first 18 years ago , second 16 years ago . Was off work for 6 months each time , and made very good recovery . Plenty of physio , but don't overdo it . Had no problems since . It takes time and everyone is different , some recover much quicker than others , so don't worry if you seem to be taking longer than some others . You will get there in the end .

• Posted

Thanks for the support. Someone asked me what I thought about doing the other knee , my response was, " I'll do voodoo, anything and everything before going through this again ." I was 3 weeks post-op, at the time of that question,  felt like I was dying, about to cross over any minute.

I've improved significantly since then but not enough to say I'm glad I had it done. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.