Still can't find a pill that works

Posted , 14 users are following.

I really need to speak to someone who hasn't found a drug that works and therefore given up on relying on them.

Is there anyone out there with recurring depression that has managed to survive with no medication??

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Eureka38, have you tried bumping up the dosage yourself? I have learnt that you need to be forceful with some GPs and say what you want to try. I don't do crying either, and have often been misread because I laugh at myself throughout the appointments. I tell the doctors what I want to try. Try writing it down and taking the notes into the appointment with you and just handing them over if you feel that you don't communicate your depression well with them.

If you have enough enough 30mg tabs to try 60mg for a few weeks, I would do it. I only try 2 to 3 dosage bumps before I give up on a drug but I would always try at least one bump up.

However, if the drug isn't a good fit for you due to side effects then there is no point bumping it up because generally the side effects get worse as you go up in mg. I am feeling a bit more positive about the lofepramine and can't wait for the duloxetine to get out of my system.

I'm all for trying life without drugs, which I think may end up being a real possibility for me, but if your lilfe isn't enjoyable, then it's not right. You shouldn't be struggling to get through life. We should be enjoying it.

I really wish there was a Depressed People Anonymous, like free group therapy sessions.

• Posted

Thanks Vicky

I think writing down things before my next apmt is probably a good idea. I either say nothing, or get misinterpreted in what I do say.

I'll maybe try upping my dose to next level and hope I get some improvement before my next apmt. If I don't then at least i'll know it's definitely not working and I can ask to change to something else. & hope he's not offended I went against what he said.

........................ he recommended self help leaflets .............. *sigh* ........... I just wish I could put him in my head for 2 mins & he'd know what he was dealing with!

Thanks for your reply, it meant a lot. Sometimes I just don't know what to do for the best.

Hope you find a solution. Xx

• Posted

Hi Vicky, in response to your questions a couple of days ago, I was originally diagnosed with bipolar which is why I was on the lithium, I did find it worked, but eventually it just ran its course and I didn't feel the benefits any more. The way I see it at the moment is that I can't get any more low than I have been in some of the weeks I was on venaflaxine so I'm not really scared too much. I am convinced that all the medications I have tried the past few months have made me more depressed than I would have been if I was on nothing x
  • Posted

Lithium is my last resort, I don't have bipolar disorder but depression. I do feel the benefit from most drugs but it is the side effects for me that I can't handle. Did you have any side effects from the lithium? The ones that make me so exhausted are annoying when I feel happier and want to do more things with my days but the exhaustion makes me need to sleep.

I'm also scared because my private health insurance gave me 12 sessions of cbt which are about to run out and I'm scared what happens when I have no support. P

• Posted

Yeah I had some side effects from Lithium but everyone is different so don't think that you will get side effects too because you might not. Actually with Lithium they increase your dosage so slowly and you have to have such regular blood tests to monitor how much is in your blood that the side effects may not be too bad all at once. You might have a couple of days of feeling unwell while you get used to the dosage and then you can be fine for a while.

You will have support, if you see your GP and ask about NHS counselling they will refer you to the relevant person. There is always a waiting list though, in my area it's about a month and a half waiting list before getting regular weekly sessions, so make sure you speak to your GP about getting it set up ASAP and then hopefully you won't be without for too long. Also you can always call the samaritans, I know it's not CBT and is not counselling, but it's someone to talk to.

You also have everyone on here for support as there are unfortunately so many people in the same situation and have experienced similar types of things x

• Posted

I'd just posted a thread and then saw this. I've got the same problem. On Citalopram for about 10 years and came off it because I had no libido. Tried nothing and depression was too bad so went on Sertraline 50mg daily a year ago. I had been okay-ish but have had a terrible low for a month now brought on by stress at work. Doc upped dosage to 100 and then 150 and it's been three weeks and I don't feel any better at all. Can't face talking to people, had a panic attack because I had to go out to the doctors lady week. I don't remember it taking so long to feel better on Citalopram. Just totally fed up now, can't see an end to it and can't face going back to work, but then worried I'll lose my job. I have three kids, husband at home, we'd be on the streets in a month if I lost my job. Feel so much pressure and I know that's not helping. If you can be without medication, I wish you all the best, but be aware that might not work for everyone. X
  • Posted

After 13 years on antidepressants, I am trying the herbal, 5HTP. As long as I can remember, I've had bouts of depression but that's because I never had what I wanted and needed to have a normal, contended, life; it's always been a struggle and, at 60+, I know I will die unfulfilled.

I think the best thing for depression is finding something you really enjoy doing. I used to love dancing and would come out on a high, after every lesson so I would look for something to fill the void. Find that activity when you are young enough to take it with you all through life.

• Posted

How have u gone on with the 5 htp none of the antidepressant are working for me
  • Posted

I'm currently on lithium and so far so good. I am actually starting feel the different now compared to before Christmas. I've been on lithium for about 6 weeks I think with a starting dosage of 200mg and now I'm on 800mg. Just waiting for my appointment this Wednesday to find out my blood results to check the lithium levels on whether it still need to be increased. Lithium was my last resource after being on many anti depressants that unfortunately don't work, however I am still taking venlafaxine because lithium apparently boost the venlafaxine to work better rather than taking a very high dosage that you are only supposed to take if you are in hospital. I was unsure of the lithium at first but then I thought, what have I got to lose. I'm glad now that I've given it a try. My mum didn't like the side effects from reading up on it but now she's glad that I'm taking it as she can see the different too. Don't get me wrong, I still have bad days but not as much as I used too.

All I can say is, if you have tried all anti depressants and not worked, give lithium a try. It can't be any worst than the anti depressants. Everyone is different when it comes to side effects.

Carebear x

• Posted

Kathryn, I totally understand how it feels to be frustrated by antidepressants taking too much time to work. To me it sounds like the sertraline isn't working for you and I would go back to the doctor and ask to try a new antidepressant. There may not be an end to our depression, but we have to believe that there is always a way to manage it, we just have to find it. My psychiatrist wrote me a list of antidepressants and we are slowly crossing each one off the list with me only doing 1-2 months on each before I decide to try the next. Don't waste too much of your life hoping a drug will kick in. Most take 7-10 days to be absorbed into your blood stream.

Ms Mac - this is what I like to hear! Although I have tried 5HTP and found it not to be strong enough for me, maybe combining it with an activity that gives me a high it would work. I have always wanted to try dancing but never had the guts to try a class. Maybe we should both set ourselves the challenge to do it and report back. That's what this website is for - supporting each other.

Carebear - I am stil debating whether to give up on the next drug or to keep going until I try lithium. Maybe I should just request to try it next. So far the lofepramine I am on doesn't seem to be giving me too bad side effects but I'm still not that happy. Sometimes I worry that my idea of happy is distorted, and that I am expecting too much! Who knows.

Thanks very much for all these comments, they really do make me feel better.

• Posted

If the lofepramine doesn't seem to give you much bad side effect and it can't be increased, it might be worth aasking if another med with it combined would help such as lithium. As I take venlafaxine, I am ok with the side effects but it doesn't seem to be strong enough on it own as I still got suicidal thought. But with the lithium I now have less suicidal thoughts and my mood is a lot better now. The only side effects I have from the lithium is hand tremors but it's not all the time and not noticed by other but myself. It doesn't bother me or affect me really.

Carebear xx

• Posted

Hi Vicky,

I am having similar problems, I have tried 3 different antidepressants so far and they I have had nasty reactions to all of them. At the moment I am receiving CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) which I am finding positive, it has really helped change the negative thoughts I have about myself and is slowly building my confidence.

I appreciate that the cause of depression varies but if yours like mine is mainly fuelled by life circumstances you feel you can’t handle then this therapy could be very beneficial for you. There is plenty of information about it online and it is available on the NHS.

I see this is an old thread but I hope this helps anyway,

All the best x  

• Posted

Hi Liana, thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately I have tried CBT many times but don't believe it really works well until you are positive enough and in the right frame of mind for it to work and if you can't get there then sometimes it just doesn't work! I do occasionally use a thought diary app which helps from time to time.
  • Posted

Hi vicky23280. I know this is a year old but I am going through the same thing now. I have been on all of the medicines that you have said I am now on week 3 of venafalexin 1 pill a day but It doesn't seem to be working as usual. I was wondering if you ever found out something that worked for you
    • Posted

Hi Staci, no I didn't find anything that worked for me. Eventually I gave up looking and looked for other ways to help myself although I am struggling again now and hesitant to go through all the drugs again. I will be using websites like livinglifetothefull and a mood diary app to support myself for now. Let me know how the venlafaxine is going for you. hope you're ok

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.