Still feeling down after increase in sertaline.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have been on 50gm off sertaline since Jan. This is the 4th time I've had depression in 15 years. Last month the doctor decided it needed to be increased to 100gm, after 2 weeks I thought yes its working but, now 2 weeks futher down the line I seem to have gone back to square one. I feel tearful  and really anxious  I don't  want to go to work tomorrow as I really feel I can't be bothered. Should I just plod on or give into how I'm feeling I find it difficult explaining to work that I'm feeling 'down' they think because your on medication you should be getting better. I just feel so useless and shouldn't feel like this because I have a good marriage, children and grandchildren  a good life and no reason to feel the way I do so why do I feel like this. Everytime I think I've beaten it comes back and I don't think other people really understand my situation. Sorry for the overspill I think I needed that. 

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm the same. Been on 100mg 6 weeks and last two weeks where OK but now I'm really down again. Its hell and same as u no reason for it at all I should be very happy but all I do is cry and feeling over whelming guilt and fear. Doctor says its time for 150mg
    • Posted

Thank you for replying its nice to know I'm not the only one to feel as I do. I always feel as though I'm a fraud and I'm imaging all of my feelings. My husband is really supportive and can spot the signs of my depression before me, as I'm too busy kicking myself up the backside pushing myself along to get over it!
    • Posted

Its so hard been knocked Down after a good week sad my doctor says its normal but it makes u feel like its not ever going to be OK. I want me back. I'm starting to question if iv ever been happy but I know I have x
    • Posted

I also know I've been happy. I had a lovely childhood my parents are both alive and in their eighties. My home life is brilliant not rich but, happy. The only clue is that my paternal grandmother did suffer depression during her lifetime !
    • Posted

Yes my mum has anxiety issues and my dad and his dad has depression. Mine is postnatal (3rd time each time worser) the meds help but don't keep me there it's like a yoyo and when I look back I see how easy I got down since a young age. I question if iv bipolar or if I'll always be this way. If come along way but no where near enough and up and down very slowly sad loosing hope
    • Posted

PS u sound just like me with picking up then going back down so least we know its obviously common. I'm so scared about taking 150mg coz I'll get side effects AGAIN. Best wishes x
    • Posted

I feel better having spoken to you. Although others try to understand unless you've actually been in our shoes I don't think they really understand.  I don't really want to increase my dose either although the side effects havn;t been too bad this time.
  • Posted

Hi I started life on 50 mg sertraline which did nothing for me.  The doctor increased it to 100 mg which was a bit better.  She then increased it to 150 mg which works out fine for me.  The maximum dose is 200 mg.

I would go back to the doctors ask for an increase which might help.   The only side effects I suffer are a dry mouth and nasty dreams.  But I can live with that in exchange.  Bev x

• Posted

Thanks for your advice I have a doctors appointment next week to see how I'm getting on. I have dreams as well but, good ones but. they are very vivid and they feel like they are in technicolour.
  • Posted

Good days are often followed by bad and it's horrible when you think you are getting better but a response can take four weeks or more for maximum effect. A bigger dose would be best but you will have to brave the side effects which usually go as you feel better. Some people have to stay on a low dose for ever if they are to avoid the terrible business of emerging from yet another episode of this disabling disorder.
  • Posted

I've had my dose of sertaline upped to 100 also as it has not managed to conquer my depression as of yet. Been a sufferer for many years so definitely not expecting a miracle but something to at least take the edge off. I've gotten hold of the crisis team again today as I've suffererd another of my 'rage episodes' (not sure if this particular med is bringing these on more frequently)..but as a result, with their help, I'm now getting ready to see a physiatrist To rule out possible bipolar or any other mood disorders. if you've tried anti depressant after anti depressant and changed doses and you're still not having any luck, it may be a good idea to have a thorough assessment done. This is just to be sure you're ruling out anything that may be denying you freedom from the curse that is depression! I hope you're able to be mentally healthy very soon whatever you do. Wishing you happy times ahead. Big hugs xoxo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.