still feeling knocked out after taking just one mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was prescribed Mirtazapine on Friday for my insomnia which was making my fibromyalgia worse.  i took one 30mg tablet that evening. I slept preety well but woke up feeling as though i had been tranquilized.  I was also very agressive to all and sundry (including my cats). Felt extremely drowsy and aggressive all day.  I didn't take a tablet last night and still slept well.  Woke this morning still feeling very drowsy and shaky (the aggression has worn off).  What do i do?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sukia, You could be very sensitive with mirtazepine.  I have been on mirt 30mg since last November.  I know I could be looking for heaps of trouble for not confiding in my Dr first, BUT I wanted to cut the side effects that had an impact on me & dropped 30mg to 15mg within 2 weeks..  Feeling ok with the 15mg.  Again, I could be asking for trouble for cutting back so quick.. so far so good.  Must be awful to have the 'shock' effects that you are having.  Hope you feel well soon x

• Posted

Thanks. it's like being drunk without the pleasure of having had a drink!

• Posted

Hi Suki

30mg is a high dose to start on in mho ... 15mg is the usual start up dose.  GP's don't always know that Mirt' is an extremely powerful anti psychotic med' and I would do your research yourself for an informed choice of wther to stay on Mirt' or not.

Mirt' contains a slow release sedative that lasts 24/7 for some (me also), which is suited maybe for extreme anxiety but not as a sleep aid necessarily?  Mirt' is designed to be taken every night as opposed to when needed, so be careful not to miss days as it may well, highly probable to upset your nervous system.  

I would stay at 15mg in the meantime, this will probably serve you well, although the lower the dose the more sedating !  I'm tapering off and even at 3.5mg there is sedation.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Suki you say you were given it for insomnia, you haven't mentioned if you are also being treated for depression type disorders.

If it is for insomnia only I wonder if you need mirtazapine or something else to help you sleep.

In addition maybe you could have been started on 15mg if this drug is new for you.

I started on 15mg for insomnia as part of treatment for ongoing depression. For a long time I took 15mg as it helped me get off to sleep.

As with all antidepressants it takes a while, 4-6 weeks, to feel the benefits. But in the meantime symptoms may appear worse than before you started the treatment. Negative effects like low mood and irritability are common in early stages.

I'm no expert, but I do wonder if the GP prescribed Mirtazapine just to help you sleep, whether it is the right treatment.

I never experienced the drowsiness with mirtazapine so I can't comment or help, but I was prescribed another drug which I took for a long time but it made me feel very drowsy and "half-soaked" all day long and I was taken off it.

I also never experienced aggression on Mirtazapine, but I was once prescribed Lofepramine which I couldn't tolerate because of the aggression it caused.

I haven't really given you a solution but i hope some of this helps.

• Posted

I am not depressed - I was a couple of years back and was on Fluoxetune .  I weaned myself off them as they made my brain foggy which working as a teaching assistant was not ideal.

The GP wanted me back on an antidepressant to help with the pain management as well as the insomnia.

I shall ask to see a different GP when I go back even though this one was one of the senior partners!

• Posted

I was prescribed mirt 30mg for chronic insomnia then made worse from the pain of my Paget's disease of the pelvis, I had absolutely no idea of the side affect of horrific weight gain until i heard a debate on the Jeremy Vine show 3 weeks ago, I have had no other side affects, I cut it by 50% for 4 nights then by another 50% etc etc, maybe the wrong move in other people's opinions but I've had no withdrawal symptoms, only, obviously I'm back to being an insomniac, but I've already lost 7lbs without dieting, as I no longer have the midnight munchies and my daytime appetite is back to normal, perhaps because it wasn't being used as an anti depressant I'm my case I didn't have bad affects or withdrawal??

• Posted

Hi Suki the first thing i would do is talk to your Dr. that med doesnt seem like its helping you at all!ask for something different. best of luck  Cat196111

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.