Still have legs of differing lengths

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im 5 months post op and after the surgery i felt the unoperated side had my leg shorter than the operated side. Dr. didnt seemed real interested phenomenon and said " dont use a shoe lift. It will improve in a few months" Well that isnt the case. My gait is off and i now have severe lower back pain. ive been to physical therapy for several weeks but its helped very little. I DONT KNOW WHAT THE NEXT STEP IS. Any suggestions?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

you are doing well for being only 5 months post op. everyones legs are not even to begin with especially with several years of OA wearing down the cushion in the joints. it causes a lot of different issues with knees backs some experience a difference in length more than others. if after a year the joint has not adjusted ask for a review. i felt that way after three hip surgeries. xrays of your back can help with a diagnosis now and treatment.take it one day at a time. i had severe back issues too after surgery we all struggle to get up and down off seats and walking at first. the back and knees go thru a lot while recovering from the surgical procedure and months of rehab. sometimes it's a big help to build up the core muscels its the main area that hold up the body. water therapy also gave me a head start building up my back muscles. Best of luck.

• Posted

Cecelia I have same problem when my left hip was done it wasn't too noticeable but when my right was done that was when I noticed my right leg was longer I tried a shoe insert but no help at all my gait is so messed up plus I developed a drop foot

• Posted

Hi Cecilia,

Yesterday I was 6 months post surgery. I have the same problem as you. My operated leg is at least a CM longer than the un-operated leg. My surgeon does not want to admit it. He was rude and nasty and I am no loner under his care. I am now seeing a new surgeon and he sees it. There is no doubt that one is longer than the other. Physical therapy is a waste of time at this point. The new doctor sent me to a neurologist who put me on the medication neurontin for she feels their is also nerve damage. I have a numbness from my mid thigh to my groin. Also had needles and pins but that subsided a litle and must be from the nerve pills I am taking.

The new doctor feels, but won't admit it, that maybe the surgeon used a hip that was too big for me? He too will not admit it. He said that maybe if he used a smaller him it would pop out of socket so in his best judgment used a longer hip replacement. We will never know. But I am going crazy. I cannot stand walking with a limp. I can't wear most of my shoes. I think that this is a problem that will not go away. I feel that I WILL ALWAYS HAVE A LIMP now. This is awful and I can't deal with it, but what is there to do?

Are you in the US? Keep in touch and let me know what your doctors have to say.

• Posted

what approach did you have, curious due to the nerve damage you mention?

• Posted

Hey Charlie, I had a posterior surgery. it went well and the hip is doing really well. Everything else is not good.

• Posted

I went to a neurologist and she did a routine exam and stuck needles in thigh area. Some areas I felt immediately and others were not as painful. She put me on neurontin which is for nerve pain. I am seeing her again January 11th and will keep you posted....Numbness is still there after surgery from mid thigh to groin

• Posted

The only way to tell if your legs are of differing lengths is to have a comparison x-ray done, where they set you up with your toes together. The x-ray will show a tilted pelvis if they are not the same length.

Mine feel like they are different lengths, but they are not, the reason they feel like it is because I was walking incorrectly before the operation. Now they are actually almost perfectly level, but that causes pain as the muscles have to readjust to the new positioning.

• Posted

thanks for responding Rocketman. Had the xray and my legs are the same length, but the un operated hip is in poor condition and that leg is fitting into that hip poorly affecting my pelvis . the operation of other hip just made that issue come to light. i know all this. but now my back is in constant pain. i feel that i have a slight side to side gait but others cant see it. unless i do op on other hip i cant see any relief.

• Posted

Yes, you're feeling that because you are used to being off-centre with your walking before the operation. Unfortunately, getting the other hip may be your only route, but .... that may not cure your bad back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.