Still have stomach pain three months after endoscopy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had an upper endoscopy with biopsies three weeks ago and have had consistent, moderate, sharp (as in localized not diffuse) stomach pain at the top of my stomach every day since then (biopsy showed barret's or something similar). my doctor said not to worry and prescribed carafate which i started three days ago, but haven't noticed any improvement. no blood in stool. at what point should i be worried?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

sorry i meant to say three weeks not three months.
  • Posted

I don't think you should worry too much about this. It can take some people a long time to recover from the after-effects of gastroscopy.

Just one small point: you say there's no blood in your stool. I'm assuming your doctor told you that blood coming from the upper digestive tract doesn't look like blood by the time it gets that far, as it gets digested on the way through. Digested blood presents as black, sticky, foul-smelling loose stools or diarrhoea, often described as looking like tar.

However, you'd have noticed if you were getting that, and would probably have sought medical help by now, even if you didn't realise it was blood.

I'd say give the medication another week or so, unless your symptoms are getting worse, then go back to your doctor if it's still not better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.