Still having pain 6 weeks out tkr

Posted , 11 users are following.

Can't sleep through the night because of pain, is this normal? Please tell me this goes away

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I still elevate my two knees for part of the night and it really helps. I also Ice at night. Two tkr within six weeks. Last one was four weeks ago. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks for the encouragement, I can't believe you have had two of these in such a short time, bless you Jen

• Posted

Mine took til about 8 weeks to finally subside. But everyone heals at their own pace. Good news is, the worst part is behind you and pain should be decreasing soon. Good luck!
  • Posted

Gospelgranny (love that name!), it does go away, but it takes a while. I'm a tosser and turner and boy, was that difficult and painful. I had both replaced on the same day, so finding a comfortable position was nearly impossible and even when I did, it never lasted long. There was a recent post about a low dose pill that someone was taking to help sleep, that is a good option. I know I took naps whenever I could during the day, otherwise I was unbearable to be around. But at 22 months post op, it's all a distant memory. I can't really tell you when it wasn't so obvious, but it will happen gradually. And you'll wake-up with a start (and a smile) and realize it was a much easier night.

• Posted

Hi!

I know how frustrating the "no sleep" is! I was hydrating regularly day and night and heading to the bathroom every couple hours. At first the narcotics were playing games with my mind and body, too, so my pain wasn't controlled very well AND I felt very loopy. This made it hard to sleep.

About nine weeks in I had my first six hours of straight SLEEP. I was REALLY surprised. It helped that I FINALLY was able to get onto my stomach. That was WONDERFUL!

Ibuprofen worked MUCH better for me than the narcotics (Oxycodone / Hydrocodone) Getting done with the blood thinners helped, too.

Try getting up and walking around a bit. That helped my pain and stiffness especially at night. Distractions help, too. I cleaned a bathroom cabinet, wrote in my journal, read my book, walked around, had a bowl of cereal...all kinds of things to get my mind off the discomfort.

Twelve weeks was a good milestone for feeling stronger and feeling less pain.

It will get better.

Be patient!

(TKRs June and October 2015)

• Posted

Hi Gospelgranny,

You are not alone with your horiffic pain and I feel for you the way everyone on this site does.   I am over 7 weeks post op TKR and I just (the past three nights) have slept a solid 5 hours.  Last night I took one tramadol and I usually have to take another one when I get up at about 5:00 am, but was able to ice and go back to sleep.  

Before I found this site, I would wake up crying because of the pain.  My daughter had never seen me cry in pain the way she did when I was staying at her house recuperating.  Then found this site with wonderful advice from very informed TKR "WARRIERS."  The only way I had comfort was to put my foot on a pillow which the doctor told me not to do and even then, I couldn't get comfortable and the pain killers weren't helping either.  My bed looked like a cyclone hit it.  

This is a good cocktail I put together for pain and insomnia thanks to Chico Marx and Moindreau.   Before going to sleep, I take a hot shower, I ice, apply Voltarin to the knee area, take  a  50mg. tramado, massage lavendar or coconut oil on my knee l and put my foot on a soft pillow. I make sure I do my PT exercises an hour before I go to sleep.  

It will be 8 weeks post of  this Thursday and I can't believe what a difference a week makes.

Do the work and take advice from all these wonderful, wise people on this site.

Pleasant dreams, Marilyn

I

• Posted

Gospelgranny, I'm right where you are with limited sleep at night. Today I was so crabby I couldn't stand myself! I am 5 weeks post-op and wake multiple times during the night. I take 5 mg of oxycodone at bedtime, but that only lasts a few hours, and then I can't get back to sleep because of pain. I move to a recliner and sleep better there. Tonight I'll take another 5 mg oxy when I wake up and see if I can go back to sleep in bed. I'm going to check with my doc at this week's appointment for more ideas. Hang in there!

• Posted

Everyone is different reading all the replies.  I am nealry 6 months post op and I still wake up with pain in the night, then takes ages for me to find a comfortable position to enable me to get back to sleep
  • Posted

Hi Gospelgranny I am 19 weeks post op (50 years old) and this past two nights are the first i have slept the whole night.....7 hours straight without my knee wakening me due to tightness or stiffness or pain. However when I wake it is really sore and stiff. This has been so much harder than I expected it to be but better than bone on bone pain. I tried everything to try sleep better I hope you get a good night soon. Rest as much you can during the day take care xx
  • Posted

Hi gospel granny I'm 8 wks post op and still don't sleep the whole night although lately since I started taking my muscle relaxer and 2 percocets at nighttime I'm sleeping better but not thru the whole night. How far along in post op are u?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.