Still in pain 2 weeks post op. Any advice?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Anyone got any advice? I am 2 weeks post op and still getting a lot of pain especially at night. I do my exercises (4 of them) regularly up to 8 times a day and try to walk a little every hour or so. I did a short walk outside yesterday too. Still using 2 crutches. I. Take the strong co codamol every 6 hours, so that I can take a dose during the night. Should I cut down on the exercise? Should I try to get a different painkiller? Or is the pain something you have to work through? I wouldn't mind that as long as it gets better eventually . I see my consultant tomorrow and am having the clips out so I suppose I can check with him. Just wondered what others have experienced. Jen 

0 likes, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer

Hope things are improving for you.  Very very early days yet. Just keep doing the exercises and if no improvement go back to your consultant.  I am rather biased...I am still in pain 4 years after my op.so not really the person to ask but I wish you well in your recovery

Regards

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi jennifer    sorry to see youre still in pain after 4 years....i am six months since my right knee done and is still painful...jsut wondered how you coped...my left knee is now very painful and i am back on crutches for walking which i stopped using 3 months ago..
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi...I had tkr 6 months ago   had very little pain to begin with but quite painful now not sure if this is because my left knee is now giving up the ghost...very early days for you  dont worry and do the excercises !!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hang un there Jennifer. I Think camerashy is an exception. You should start feeling better in about 6 weeks. Don't overdo the exercises. Good luck.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi it is a very slow process maybe overdoing exercise I slept in my recliner for about 5 weeks it will get better I am 6 week postoperative have been very depressed but feeling better last couple of days so give this time long healing process
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Jennifer I don't think anyone is prepared for the trauma that the body and mind goes through with a TKR. I've taked to medicos about comparisons with other ops like hip replacements and they say the TKR pain and recovery is much worse. I found the first two weeks of pain really bad and found bending difficult. Each week after got better. I had full movement and walked basically without limping after 6/7 weeks and returned to work after 7 weeks. However although it was no longer painful it was extremely uncomfortable with the tight gripping/rubber band effect so I continued with stronger meds. This discomfort remains still and I'm 4 and a half months, although it has diminished. It is still stiff in the mornings but really nobody else would know it bothers me if I didn't tell them. The experts say the discomfort will last for 8-12 months so really, at 41/2 months I'm just half way there. I totally understand your dilemma. Having a TKR is all encompassing and dominates every minute of your waking day for 2/3 months. It is traumatic and although everyone is different I doubt if many would disagree. Stick with strong meds for 6 weeks I was told. I still take over the counter meds during the day otherwise I feel the tightness and at night I still have a slightly stronger meds because the discomfort is worse at night as well as the stiffness. It's a long road and even at 41/2 months I'm not fully recovered. Hang in there, I'm told it gets heaps better and for me it certainly does every week or so. Good luck
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have been really discouraged I am 64 6 weeks post op ride in the car and then I am very uncomfortable just can't find tight position when riding also having issues with tightness in upper thigh and just above incision I am just so anxious to get this stiffness feeling to calm down any suggestions and not taking any pain med only Tylenol on occasion
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Realised I hadn't replied to you, Gloria. Thanks for your helpful comments. Although I'm sorry you're still in some discomfort, at least I know it can happen. My consultant told me I wouldn't like him for about 6 months! I've cut to slightly less strong painkillers today but it hasn't been very comfortable. It's hard to weigh up what's best to do. I've got some harder exercises to do so I suppose they will make my leg ache too. Must keep up with them though. Am nearly 4 weeks post op so I suppose it's still early days. Hope you continue to improve. 

Jen

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer, I'm at the exact two week post surgery mark from my partial knee replacement.  My pain level will definitely be less than yours.  I had my staples removed this morning.  I still have pain at night and it's very hard to get comfortable.  My first visit 6 days after surgery to physio I was told to just use my cane....which I have been.  I'm able to get around in my house with my cane and some without.   I still need something for pain at night.  I was taking those awful narcotics which I stopped a few days ago....after thinking pain would be easier than being sick to my stomach.  I'm only 59, so this should be easier for me than my 20 year older hospital mates.  This is not an easy surgery, but I hope worth the end results.  I admire the determination and the inspiration these ladies gave me.  No matter what our ages, I hope that after all this we have a better quality of life.  I want to be able just to walk a mile again.  I think the hardest part for me is. Bring on my own, and not being totally independent.  It's hard asking for help when you aren't used to asking.  I think this is the time in our life though when we have to stop and realize we probably didn't get bad knees just  from looking after ourselves.  Thank you to all who post...reading your messages got me through a couple keep less painful nights.  Everyday is anew day..
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

sounds like your doing good , very early days , just do what your doing and things will work out , this is why we have a check up at 6 weeks , hope it worked out with the consultant ,x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks, Debbie. Yes, all went well at the hospital. Had the clips out and he said I should be able to take the dressing off by Monday. When I told him about the pain he said it was quite normal and to expect some discomfort for up to 6 months! So I'll keep up with the exercises and look forward to seeing an improvement 😊 Start physio at the hospital next week so that should help too. We must keep positive 😊 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up