Still need rest in the afternoon

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi. I am 3 months into left the and most things are progressing well. I start the day energised do lots of things but about 3 or4 in the afternoon it is like a plug has been pulled on energy nag I end up going to bed and sleeping for an hour. Getting concerned about breaking this habit. Any comments for advise gratefully received

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had the same energy drop, like I hit a wall and I had no choice but to take a nap.

In time I was able to titrate down the time to a 20 minute nap . I wake refreshed and ready to finish the day. In my case the tiredness was needed to help my body heal.

Drinking  protein shakes helped the afternoon sleep attacks . Later,  my doctor said I was low in complex B and D vitamins .also recommended iron supplements also helped to. Ask for a blood test if you suspect your low in some vitamins , minerals and other supplements can help with electrolites and getting out for a brisk walk helped with raise adrenalin levels. 

Good luck

• Posted

2 1/2 months since my thr and quite often I don't even realize I am tired and wake up an hour or so later.  Thankfully I am still mostly holding down the sofa since tearing a muscle,

Your body is spending a lot of energy rebuilding muscle and bone.  And if you aren't sleeping well that makes things even worse.  I know I wake up often during the night due to muscle twinges or small aches.  If you can just give your body time to heal.

• Posted

I also had the energy drop but couldn't pinpoint the source; winter weather, just retired and was still sleep deprived from an active job or was it the body healing?  Just passed the 3 month mark and the weather was great so I was out in the yard for 2.5 hours this morning which was all I could do for the first time working this season.  I find I'm taking fewer naps. Just not needing it like I was - couldn't stay awake at times.  SO it gets better. 

• Posted

I’m at week 19 now and have only just stopped needing an afternoon rest this last week. My physio said it takes on average 9 months to regain your stamina. Just rest as and when you need it. Your body is working hard. 

Regards

Ann

• Posted

Hello Anna

As long  as you aren't doing anything at that time I think it is a great idea to have that nap.   Your body is telling you it needs the rest for healing.  Enjoy this time of recovery/healing.

All the best.

• Posted

I read on a hip replacement website that the healing goes on for about 6 months to it is not unusual to feel exhausted until your body is totally healed. I was happy when I read that because I have been really wiped as well.  I am 6 weeks out. 
    • Posted

Always good to have someone post about time it takes for healing. Of course, we all know it can vary for people. The exhaustion is something I've been dealing with at 5+ weeks. In morning I'm energetic, but by late afternoon not so much. The body does need TIME to heal.

• Posted

I have been told that a high protein diet help the healing process. It does seem to have worked for me.
    • Posted

The important thing is that it works for you
  • Posted

I live in Spain where the siesta is part of life but I would rather sleep well at night so I usually forego it. At first, it was difficult to not take a nap so I had to force myself not to.  Now it is much easier.  I am about three months out as well
  • Posted

Yes the tiredness wall is part of the process for many of us. It will go, perhaps try a comfy armchair and feet up rather than actually going to bed.
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your comments. It is good to know that I am not alone. I am hoping that with better weather I can get out into the garden more. I will try sofa napping soon.
  • Posted

I'm 4 1/2 months out frommy second thr and not able to walk without a cane. Recovery has been this slow because, for whatever reason, the femoral stem caused a bone bruise internally. Has anyone else heard of this happening?.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.