Still no bend after TKR.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Happy New Year everyone! I am now 6 weeks after surgery (TKR, right knee), and have struggled on and off with achieving a satisfactory bend since coming out of hospital. A couple of days ago I thought I had turned a corner and felt the bend was better, but now today, I'm back to square one. It is so stiff I can barely bend at all. Im worried that my surgeon may recommend a manipulation under anaesthetic, but I'm really worried about this. Has anyone else had it done? How soon after your TKR did you have it done, and what sort of results were acheived afterwards? Thanks. Alison.

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Just gently do your exercise and don't push too hard, slowly slowly!!

I used to use a small size kids hoppa ball thing on the bed, put my leg on & roll it gently back n forth. Was good. Some from ankle and some from knee. Xxx

• Posted

Hi Alison,

I had my right knee done on 9/18 and at six weeks I was trying to work and by the end of the day my knee would be so stiff!  I have a stationary bike and when I got home, I would ride the bike a while and the bend would loosen up all over again.  The bike is amazing therapy for me!  I just had my left knee done on 12/17 and just started using the bike again.  It's slow beginning just making a few rotations but then I hope to be back up to 5 miles a day by my 5th week.  If you've got access to a stationary bike, I would highly recommend.  Six weeks is still early so hope you don't have to have the manipulation.  Good luck and keep us posted!

• Posted

Hi Alison ,

so very sorry to read of your problem, I am wondering if you have been advised to elevate your leg and Ice least 5 times a day put ice on your knee? This would help a lot when the knee goes stiff it is harder to bend and use, I assume you are doing all your physio? I know doing all that physio can be painful but it does pay off in the end, I often sobbed when doing the phsyio xx

it

was painfull but now I am glad I did it all. When I was first admitted to the

ward for my first tkr the lady in the next bed had just come back from having

a manipulation and she was over the moon because she could sit with her

knee bent and she could not do that before! 

I wish you a speedy recovery and really hope you achieve a bend soon wi

If I am totally honest I had a dread of my new knee getting stuck and not bending so I forced myself to do leg slides resting my leg on a roll of towels and straightening my leg whilst letting leg in the air off the bed hard work but well worth the effort!

• Posted

hi alison it is early days for you what might help would be excersise ball sit on it and push back and forth slowly after a few times push the bend more and hold make sure you dont lift your hip up when you do this thats a nono  cheating !! .ha ! ive cheated in physio doing just that and got told off .ive had an MUA  but mine was done alot latter and didnt work for me .i think you would do better at an earlier stage .you have not said what your bend is ?but i assume its less than 90  dont panic yet with it ,even at 12wks would be early enough ,so if you thought about it like that you would have another 6wks work that could make all the difference so get a plan .to work it hard physio would be great for you it would be worth going to either privately or at the hospital .for now  make sure your pain meds are up to the job they are so important for you to work the knee as pain stops you pushing it plenty of ice after
  • Posted

Sorry to hear this is happening because I know it's just the most painful thing anyone can imagine. I had my first TKR in Dec. 2012 and it was not going well during physical therapy. The therapist would try to force my knee to flex more than 80 degree and it was like trying to bend a heavy tree branch, it just wouldn't bend. Besides the frustration, it was probably the most excrutiating pain I've ever had. I actually screamed out once and that brought people out of their offices into the hall to see what happened. After six painful weeks. I went to my first post op appointment with the surgeon. He took a look for a few seconds and said 'we have to get that manipulated under anesthesia'. I was manipulated a few days after that and went directly to physical therapy after my manipulation and for the first time I was able to do a complete rotation of the bicycle pedals. Therapy became easier and less painful and I achieved the 100 degrees needed for most activities. Don't fear the manipulation under anesthesia, it's very quick and totally painless and you'll leave like a new person, able to bend again. Good luck to you.
  • Posted

Hi Alison

I had MUAs on both knees...the first after 5 months and the other knee after6 months.  It's very quick and usually frees the knee up wonderfully.  My problems were straightening mainly...meaning difficult to walk comfortably.  There is just a bit of aching after the MUA.

I would go ahead if that's what's subsequently suggested.

Patsy

• Posted

From what I read here you are doing very well.

I'm 5 weeks left TKR.

Everyone seems to go forward and think they are doing great and then take a step backwards which gets you down but you must just keep going as you will get there in the end.

Your going for the long game Alison just like me.

• Posted

Sometimes, to take 3 steps forward you have 2 steps back.  Don't push yourself too hard, have patience.  6 weeks is nothing. That is only enough time for the bones and tissues to start healing.  Think of everything that had to be cut, removed, moved about, joined, including cutting through your skin.  They all heal in their own time.  You also have to build up muscles in order for the next stage to happen.  Bend and straighten are the two important tasks ahead of you. You will achieve both.  Take it slow. Concentrate on every single exercise you do, including putting one foot in front of the other. You will get there, just not as quick as you would like.  This time next year you will have forgotten all that you have gone through and wondered why you worried so much
    • Posted

sueisobel 

That was a good post to alison and a reminder to myself. I have,in my own opinion,and that of the phsio who comes to my home,been doing well. But last Saturday I got fed up of being in the house,and walked,with my stick,and had a drink. Apart from a slight hangover I paid for it the next day,and got a rollocking from somebody close to me when they found out. Your words about what goes on inside ring true,its not a minor operation. I consider myself quite a fit man for my age,and I think that has helped me. But as you say, sueisobel,myself and everybody in the same boat will get there. Thanks.

• Posted

Thanks John, means a lot. Sometimes a good drink does us good, makes us feel human again. Keep  going and be strong
  • Posted

Hi Alison

I had to have manipulation at 7.5 weeks as I just was not getting a bend that I should.  It was the best thing I ever did.  I was terrified, but the result was instantaneous and my surgeon said best to get it done within 3 months as it is an easy procedure for us.  After that it can be much more complex.  My anaethetist and surgeon were both thrilled with the result, as was I.  I was told by surgeon that it would have never worked on its own.

i too was very reluctant to go ahead but asked for advice on here and the responses from others who had gone through the same we're very positive, so I went ahead.  So very glad I did.

i am still not sleeping well at night and often end up on the sofa, but I then get a decent sleep.  My TKR was 26 October and manipulation was 18 December.

Good luck Alison.  Go for it, I doubt you will regret it.

liz x

• Posted

Thank you Liz for such a positive reply. I shall find out on Wednesday if I need to have the mua done, and although still feel a little anxious, I'm not quite so worried about having it done. I just found the whole tkr quite traumatic and my few days in hospital were awful! But I think that this procedure is carried out in a day and you are let home the same day? I guess it can't be any more painful than what I have already endured! Thank you for your encouragment.

Alison

• Posted

Hi Liz, so had my appointment yesterday with the surgeon who has confirmed that I will indeed require an MUA. Total panic is setting in as I just don't want to go back into hospital. Ive been told that I may be in and out in a day,or worse case, may need to stay in for a couple of days for my leg to be put on some sort of machine that will keep it moving back and forth! Great!. 

Were you in as a day patient? What sort of pain did you experience aftewards? I'm worried that it will be so painful I wont be able to keep moving it!

Alison. x 

• Posted

Hi Alison, the machine you are talking about rests on your bed.  It is rather large and clunky; your leg is strapped to it and it takes over the bending and straightening of your leg. It is not very noisy, but, unless you are used to sleeping on your back, can be a tad uncomfortable.  If they do decide to you it, it will be straight after your manipulation.  The angle of the bend can be changed depending how much work you have to do. 

Try not to panic, think of your stay in hospital as a cheap spa (everyone waiing on you, meals brought to you in bed, service at the press of a button).  If you are in pain; ask for relief.  Only you know how much pain you are in.  Good luck x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Have you used this machine? Do you use it for short periods of time, then rest? im not sure I like the sound of this!!! x 
    • Posted

Hi Alison, truthfully the MUA was the best thing I did.  Like you I was terrified but I came out of hospital 100 tines better than when I went in.  He would have liked me to stay in overnight but as I was staying in the hotel next door he allowed me to go there.  The Physio wanted me to use that machine but my surgeon wanted me to work on the knee myself.

i would not have had the courage to have the MUA if it hadn't been for people on this forum.  They gave me the courage to go ahead.

Do it, I very much doubt you will regret it.  I feel that my recuperation did not start till the day of the MUA, everything prior to this was hell.

met someone who had a TKR a week before me, no complications and to look at her you would never know she had this done.  Also net one one who had hers early December, again doing brilliantly.  We are in a minority but at least we have this forum with each other on it.  Have you got a date?

keep in touch

Liz x

• Posted

Hi Liz, I'm waiting for them to ring me with a date, they hope to do it in the next 2 weeks. But by my own admission ive got the pain threshold of an ant, and I fear that i'm going to go back to how it was when it was operated on, but you have reassured me that it can only get better with an MUA. I hope to look back in a months time and wonder what all the fuss was about? x 

• Posted

With the TKR I had an epidural and something thar knocked me out but with the MUA it was a general anaesthetic but it does only take about 5 minutes and you come round straight away, no pain as I had morphine.  Still in pain afterwards but no different from before and every day that gets better.  Nights are still not 100% but getting so much better now.  So glad I got it done. Xx
    • Posted

Thank you Liz, you have put my mind at rest. I shall let you know how it goes! x
    • Posted

The anesthesia is a short acting intravenous drug that puts you to sleep for just a short period of time. It's usually something like Propofol. You'll wake up quickly once it's stopped and you won't feel groggy all day either.
    • Posted

Hi Alison

I've actually had a CPM machine on rental since my knee was opened up again in Sept.  I find it great for increasing the bend.  Unfortunately, it doesn't really help with keeping the leg totally straight though...which has always been my problem.  It's easy to use and I just lie on the sofa and read while it gets on with it.  If you search online for CPM you'll see what they are like.

Patsy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.