Still not diagnosed

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,  my right hand started showing problems in late 2005, I was losing mobility (at the age of 30 back then), especially in my thumb, with pronounced fasciculations, without any injury. 

I was referred to a neurological clinic. There I did all the neurological exams. MRI both with and without contrast agent, done on the entire upper body part including shoulders and both hands, found nothing. Spinal fluid showed nothing. Blood rsults were normal. EMG found denervation in my right hand.

I have no family history of neurological diseases. My symptoms are very troubling and progressing now, now also involving my left hand. I'm loosing functionalty in it.

I have tried physiotherapy, this year from January till June, but my hands are getting worse. I also have pain in the area from my hands up to my elbows.

I have no symptoms in my feet, or anywhere else, but the neurologist I've seen recently ordered EMG of both hands and feet, which I'm going to do tomorrow.

I thought it could be arthritis, so I did an X-ray of both hands only 2 weeks ago. The orthopaedist I saw told me both were completely normal; not a sign of arthritis.

What could that be?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  your symptoms sound similar to nerve issues perhaps from a pinned nerve in your neck.  Did you have a fall or hurt your neck before these issues started?  But in saying that the tests you have had previously should have shown this if it was a damaged nerve. Maybe you need to find another Neurologist for a second opinion, as this is their field of expertise.  Perhaps if you write down your history of symptoms with the dates and give this to them as I know we often forget things when visiting a new Dr.  Don't leave it too much longer especially if you're now having pain, your hands and arms are very important to your long term welfare. 

All the very best and keep us posted on how things work out.

• Posted

Diagnosed with MMN today.
    • Posted

I'm so sorry but could you please enlighten me what MMN actually is, never heard of this before..  
  • Posted

It is multifocal motor neuropathy. I guess I could close this thread now and ask questions on a new thread.
    • Posted

Thank you for your clarifing. I'm sorry you're going through this difficult time, but at least you now know whats troubling you. I live with Cerebral Palsy so can appreciate how important the use of movement and especially in the extremities are. redfaceIf I can be of any support please don't hesitate to contact me. One thing I have learned about living with a disability is: 'a positive attitude is great medicine'. All the best  - Mike 
  • Posted

Thanks Mike! Wishing you all the best.
  • Posted

I thought I had carpel tunnel or arthritis in my left hand. Turns out that I have a b12 deficiency. Ask for b12 blood test to rule it out. 
  • Posted

Hi, my B12 was tested twice in the last month, and it is good now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.