Still not feeling good after Sertraline reaction.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I posted two days on here about my bad reaction to Sertraline and how it affected me. The side effects were really bad on my body and I had to stop taking them. I only took them for three days 50MG but I halved them and the last time I took one was four days ago but I ended up at the ER because I was very worried and felt like I was going to pass out or die. 

Anyway, since I stopped taking them the following has gone;

shaking.

headache.

vomiting.

diarrhea.

sweating.

However, I still have some side effects like dizziness but not as badly as before and I just don't feel myself at all. My anxiety is sky high right now, I'm nervous and anxious and have small panic attacks throughout the day. It's bugging me because I can't relax. I also feel like I have chest pains but I don't know if that's just the anxiety. I'm able to eat, drink and sit still but for some reason I feel the need to check my pulse every now and then. At the ER they checked me out and said everything is fine and normal. 

My question is, how long will it be before I feel myself again? Will I feel myself again!? How long does this stuff take to get out your system and I will not experience withdrawal symptoms, will I? Also, I've read on other posts where people are worse off than me but they do not feel themselves after months when they stop taking the pills. It's making me worried. My brain keeps telling me to worry in case I pass out and die lol and so I do worry. So f*cking irritating. 

1 like, 27 replies

Report / Delete

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had the same reactions when I got off of them too. I have been off them for 2 months now and still feel the same. Sertraline really messed me up and now I wish I would have never taken it. I wish I could give you some relief but I can't find any myself yet. I am encouraged though that all the effects will eventually go away. I too spent a little time in the ER and now have been diagnosed with panic disorder that definitely not there when I started taking them. I will keep you in my thoughts that you will improve.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I only halved the pills for three days and took the 25MG instead of the 50MG because I read about it before taking it and thought I could get my body used to the side effects by going on a half then moving up, boy, was I wrong. :-/

My GP prescribed me Burspirone the next day after I was in the ER and it was to calm me down, but I did not take it because I have been put off medication ever since that happened. Did you take anything after it? 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hiya hon, I've been through it 2 years ago. You are going to be fine and no you won't be like this forever. You can't take SSRIS! Make sure you are not prescribed them again. I was given another SSRI after. Your reaction is serotonin syndrome. Take one day at a time and don't put pressure on yourself. Your body and mind needs to recover.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Is that actually Serotonin Syndrome? I called NHS 111 10 minutes ago because I'm concerned now and wondering if stopping my medication (Mirtazapine) cold turkey is dangerous or what. 

Thanks for your response, I hope I feel better soon. rolleyes

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm glad you found something to calm  your anxiety. Maybe the reason you don't feel yourself anymore is because of all the medication playing on your brain. I'm not a medical expert but it might have some affect on you which is making you feel out of the  norm.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes and I begged to go into hospital but doctors put it down to my own anxiety! It was after I recovered a psychiatrist had told me what it was. Don't let people push you around. Phone a chemist they no more about the medication than your doctor. It was a nice lady from chemist that said Sara stop takeing these immediately! You need to tell your doctor no more SSRIs! She was very informative
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thats messed up. What were your symptoms?

I struggled to sleep last night. I fell asleep eventually but woke up sweating after a few hours. Then I fell asleep again when I moved to the couch from my bed. I woke up still not feeling myself and all the other side effects have gone except this one. Is this just my anxiety from taking the pill? I no longer feel dizzy, just this one symptom that I dont feel myself.

Will this go away? If so, how long? 2-3 weeks? Can you actually get side effects this long after just three days of taking that pill? I'm not on anything currently anymore because it put me off. Did you take anything after Sertraline?

I'm able to eat, sleep & do normal things except my brain just doesn't feel right. It sucks. My anxiety is making me worry that I will pass out and die.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

They treat us like we are paranoid constantly and put it down to anxiety. I have a 3 year old, I'm 22 weeks pregnant and I have a busy admin job and am having withdrawals from Mirtazipine. However the doctor has told me it is my anxiety coming back! I will get through this on my own. They make me sick!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello my friend

As many of the others have pointed out certain SSRIs can affect different people in different ways and while they are effective they do take several weeks of dose increases to reach full effectiveness. Your symptoms are unfortunately classic of SSRI especially Sertraline, my partner has just gone up to 100mg and its a struggle. I being lucky I guess am on Paroxetine which while I did have side effects it seems to be working okay (I am also on others which help). The problem you have my friend is the side effects will wear off but your anxiety is now running wild, so I think you might need to a) ask your GP for a different medication as Sertraline didn't work b) start a self help system such as relaxation, meditation, mindfullness etc to help you reduce and control your anxiety. In fact maybe do both. Please keep I. Touch because I would be interested in your progress and remember we are here for you, don't feal alone.

David

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, David. I ended up talking to a nurse who assured me I don't have 'Serotonin Syndrome' and that the medication just didn't agree with me but it would be out of my system by now. However, I was not this bad with anxiety until I took Sertraline and I feel like its triggered my anxiety to worsen or its just a side effect thats still wearing off.

To be honest I dont want to take medication anymore, like at all. I want to deal with it alone. I still feel weird, but I'm going to go to bed and try sleep.

Btw what other medications have you tried?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi,

where you are right now I think you need to be speaking to a member of your local MH team. Anxiety can be controlled by many self help techniques and it seems that different medications affect different people different ways. I'm on Paroxetine, diazepan and Zopiclone and I've had the side effects and if it wasn't for forums and Twitter I would have been a mess but I also do meditation and CBT and have the support of my CPN. 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up