Still on 2 antibiotics after discharge

Posted , 6 users are following.

And eating with these meds is so hard. I just tried some chicken. Noodle soup and it came right back up. It's soup. I guess my stomach couldn't handle the grease. What do you eat during your flare ups?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Probably the antibiotics that are making you nauseated as much a the divert.  Try just doing liquids for a few days until it settles down.  Broth - gatorade - jello - juice - popsicles.  When that starts staying down, then gradually try one soft food at a time.

• Posted

Hi, Sorry you are so poorly. I am fairly new to all this, and I guess you may be in USA. I am in UK, and we here ‘broth’ is a thick soup with maybe pearl barley in it, so forgive me if my recipe is irrelevant. I too go onto complete liquid diet for sometimes up to a week. The antibiotics give me terrible diarrhoea, so it’s difficult to know when my bowel is better. I have juice, herbal teas, small amounts of probiotic yoghurt, plus a consomme soup which I make myself, (and keep in the freezer).

RECIPE: Two or more  Complete Chicken legs, (skinned), carrots, a leek, celery, spinach or other green veg, a bay leaf, stock cubes, salt and pepper, about six pints of water. Add more of the flavourings if you want during cooking. I simmer it for up to two hours, then strain it through a sieve so it’s completely clear. I freeze it in smaller amounts, and have it three or four times a day when I’m having a flare-up. It’s not TOO bad! Best wishes.

• Posted

Yes I am in the US. I haven't made my own soup but maybe I should try it. It sounds good and these canned soups are so greasy they make me sick.

• Posted

I think the soup has to be absolutely clear, and yes canned soups here in the U.K. are not suitable. After skinning the chicken there is very little fat left, but if there is, you can lift it off after your soup has cooled down.it sounds like a lot of bother, but if you make a large saucepanful at a time it’s not really a bind. 
    • Posted

I manage to eat chicken soup from a can It doesn't seam to upset me. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones 

• Posted

I stick to a liquid only diet for a few days to let my bowel settle. I then have plain chicken soup jelly and maybe a biscuit. I gradually introduce for food the better I start to feel. I haven't had a flare for a while I put it down to keeping a food diary taking fybergel mabevarine and a probiotic tablets everyday   I hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

Thank you I'm going to check into probiotics.iquid is best I think too but my stomach is so sick from these pills. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so I'll see what she says.

• Posted

Doctors aren't always real knowledgeable about probiotics, but they have really made a difference for me with my IBS and recovery from divertic. Get one with a lot of strains - you can research online - and since I live in a small town and the better ones aren't carried in the stores here, I order online, also.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.