Still painful but......

Posted , 2 users are following.

So I'm still experiencing the intense pain (anywhere beteween 8 out of 10 to a full on 10 out of 10! Not at the time of a bowel movement but it comes on between 30 minutes to an hour after a bowel movement. The pain gets even worse when I lie down so there is not ,much chance of sleeping. Three sleepness night out of 6 nights last week so you can imagine it's getting to me quite a bit. I went to me GP practice where they think what might now be happening is a muscle in that area going in to spasm. I'm in the UK so am using Germaloids cream twice a day after a cooling shower to that area. I do not have the luxury of a bath, nor am I able to duplicate anything that would allow me to bathe. I am using pain relief paracetamol (2x500mg, Ibuprofen (2x200mg) and tramadol (2x50mg). On recommendation of my doctor I have reduced the Laxido that I was on after the op which was three times daily down to 1 a day. Three times daily was giving me diarrhoea on a daily basis, and the pain to go with it! like I say last week I was every second night, more normal for me is every 2 to 3 days. I'm passing what is somewhere between diarrhoea and water (as opposed to the constipation the pain relief is supposed to cause) but the one good thing is that the blreeding has stoppped! 

?The whole experience has got me so messed up sleep wise that there are times I don't know what's happening. Fortunately I'm unemployed at the moment but am actively looking and am waiting on the outcome on an interview so I can really do without this! 

?I'm also type 2 diabetic and have found myself experiencing a few hypos recently as I've been struggling to try and eat properly. I shall be attempting that this week. I have found as soon as I have any fresh fruit or fresh or frozen veg in a meal it increases the chances of a bowel movement and therefore the pain, as does going for a good walk. I won't stop any of that, though, as that is what is most important to getting and staying healthy again! 

?I just feel like I am doing everything that is being asked of me and nothing seems to be improving. To make this worse, I am finding that when I don't have any anal pain, I am prone to experiencing crushing chest pains which, in the past, have been diagnosed as muscular pains!

Any ideas?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Certainly sounds like a spasm. I had similar experience 7 weeks post op. I suggest you ring the Secretary of your surgeon and tell her your problem and that your like an appointment with the surgeon. I found taking 1 sachet of laxido morning and might plus 30ml of lactulose midday helped me. Gradually the spasm eased. Look on Amazon UK and spend about £15 on a sitz bath. It's a plastic bowl you put in the toilet with warm water in it. It will help your pain and I found it a life saver! You will get better and I hope it is soon. Remember to drink lots of water.

• Posted

Anything that made me go more often makes things worse. The only thing that helped me sleep the first couple of days after the op was that I'd been so loaded up with anaesthetic and pain killers. First bowel movement and that triggered the pain and it's been like that with every single bowel movement since. The only time I get any relief is between bowel movements as the gap increases. For the first few days after that first bowel movement I was so out of it due to lack of sleep and I've been the same over the past week as well!

I've been keeping the fluids going. Diluting orange that I keep chilled in the fridge, a little over 2 litres a day! Plus the fluids I get from the fruit as well!

I'm due back at the surgeon 15th August at the 2 month mark.

• Posted

Simon try looking at what you eat. Anything that might sting or irritate is going to cause You Pain. There are some foods you should try to avoid like tomatoes, oranges, and anything that is spicy, I even found leeks and onions gave me pain. Look up soluble fibre, try to avoid insoluble fibre because it can "scour" you when you are trying to heal. Not sure about the orange juice either. It is slightly acidic. It does take a while for you to heal. My surgeon said that this operation is a bit of an assault on your body. I must say I have had 7 ops and this was the worst! But I had surgery on 4 th May and I am getting much better now. Hope you feel better soon. Porridge is very good and kind to your body try eating that.

• Posted

I've been off spicy for a while now anyway so that helps there a bit. I quickly stopped the prune juice as that works better than the Laxido. Diluting orange isn't near as acidic as fresh orange. For about two weeks there i was focussing on toast and veg soup to keep things relatively simple. My surgeon isn't the most talkative and me having Asperger's syndrome I'm not the quickest with questions unfortunately. Trying to find a balance that works right with the diabetes as well as I've had a few hypos as well but the sleepless nights won't be helping there. Certainly the actual bowel movement itself isn't painful, it's usually about half an hour after the event! Delayed reaction! Time is the healer I suppose, and at least I'm no longer bleeding. I've ordered up one of those portable bidet things, I take it that's the kind of thing you were meaning. Paying the extra for next day AM delivery as I've got Job Club in the afternoon! I will not let this defat me in the long term. I will come out of it all a far better person!

• Posted

So I was back at my doctor's this afternoon. I shouldn't be in this much pain after a bowel movement. I have now been put on gabapentin, 100mg 3 times a day. Also a view to contact the surgeon to see him earlier than 15th August. I was commenting that at least there has been no bleeding since the procedure back on 15th June. Guess what Ihappened tonight! Here's hoping that I'm so tired I can sleep despite the pain tonight which has gone off the scale while I feel worse than ever! elsewhere as well. Something is happening and it doesn't feel too good! Up until this evening's bowel movement I was feeling relatively positive as well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.