Still palpitations and shaking 7 days after dentist local

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi can anyone help me I suffer from anxiety mainly health associated I went to the dentist last week to have 2 teeth removed and despite being rather calm for a change I've spent a whole week with palpitations and shaking -I've got it in my head that the local given for the extractions caused it and basically waiting for a heart attack to happen - I visited my GP which hasn't made me feel better as he's sending me to be checked for angina now again! (I was checked 2 years ago and was all clear) and my blood pressures on the high side -can someone help me is this just this blasted anxiety doing me in again or is there a real problem I'm googling symptoms which never helps I'm beside myself with worry

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon , I suffer bad with health anxiety I had my son 2 yrs ago and got so anxious as there were complications my blood pressure went up, came out of hospital now I'm so anxious when I have my blood pressure taken I'm on medication, the doctor doesn't believe it anxiety related , but I was put on a high dose , I'm not as bad now coming off the medication slowly which the doctor said I would never do, anxiety plays a huge part in blood pressure reading, maybe see a doctor for anxiety , u will get there in the end, it's the constant reassuring yourself what gets me through, I hope u sort everything out.. Do u get headaches to? Xx
    • Posted

Hi Carrie Ann, I have got anxiety about having my blood pressure taken, ever since I had my children who are now 40. I am on medication for high blood pressure but feel that the doctor never gets a true reading because I am so wound up when I go to the surgery to get it checked. Even bought my own monitor but that doesn't see m to help, I still get wound up when I use it, it is a horrible thing that I can't control .
    • Posted

Hi Carrie Ann yes I too get headaches blurred vision with it - I've got a medication phobia so won't take any form of medication normally the local at the dentist was an exception - did the doc put u straight on blood pressure mens?
    • Posted

I have a home bp machine and some days I'm ok and get low readings then other days I get I high reading and get anxious and keep doing it until I get a low ready, I had anxiety for 2 yrs now and I hate it, wish I could be me again, I've been put on 10mg of amitrypline for tension headaches and now the side effects r causing anxiety about my head have I a brain tumour .. I would never wish this on anyone.. God in my 20s I had no worries, but now 34 and 4 kids I'm leaving in hell with myself x
    • Posted

Yea straight on blood pressure meds, was on 20mg enalipril and 1.25 bisoprole , now 2 yrs on just 5mg enalipril , just shows anxiety was he cause.. I'm trying to have a healthy lifestyle , just started the gym and that was a big step I wake every morning worrying if I'm gonna have a headache , been put on 10mg amitrypline , for tension headaches not sure if it's working been on for 2 weeks, just hope it does and now worrying there's something else wrong with my head x
    • Posted

So very true , absolutely hate it, just hope someone waves a magic wand and I'm back to being me again. X
    • Posted

I've got to have my BP checked again in 2 weeks I'm praying it's gone down by then but with all the worry of angina I doubt it n I really couldn't cope on medication for it -I'm so pleased your making improvements I've had anxiety 5 years and just seems to get worse and worse
    • Posted

Fingers crossed for u, I hope u don't have to go on meds, but if u do it might only be for a short while, I hope everything goes well for u, I have on in two weeks to, and when I make the doctors appointment I honk about it until I go lol, our minds r so powerful xx
    • Posted

Thankyou Carrie Ann I hope yours goes down and stays down! Yes it's a very powerful thing don't feel like ill ever recover from it xx
  • Posted

Hey wow that happened to me. I have no idea how to control that but it took a few weeks to calm it self. I went thru hell trying to figure it iut and then it just stopped. I have health anxiety and despise dentists but i do hAve to go for dental work as well. I take xanax right before i go. But interesting cause i did have palpations for a bit after. Im suppose to go back and i have been avoiding it for that reason. Everyone blamed anxiety. Anxiety is really over whelming at times.
    • Posted

Oh gosh lisa! I'm so glad I'm not alone everyone I tell looking at me like I've lost the plot- mines been a week now and still woke up with strong palpitations and shakes I've got to go back in a fortnight for more work but she's got no hope of injecting me again -now with the added pressure of angina tests and the Dr tell me to calm down how the hell can that happen when he's put another worry in my head ! When I eat it gets worse just feel like my body's going to explode -I don't blame you for delaying your dentist visit at all not when left feeling like this -let me know how u get on lisa xx
  • Posted

Hello Sharon, this happened to me once, I told the dentist I felt woozy, she said it was the adrenaline given with the local and now I don't have adrenaline with the local and I feel fine. Would it help to talk to your dentist about this. Try not to worry about your health, as a mental health sufferer I get like this. Cut down on coffee, it worked for me, coffee caused horrible palpitations. The problem with anxiety is we get in that vicious circle that we are seriously ill and can't get out of it. Would a new hobby help? Gardening really changed my life.
    • Posted

Hi rowanessque I've got a dentist appointment next week to pick up a mouth guard so I'm going to discuss it with the dentist then as quite worried that the palpitations have lasted a week now virtually non stop -I don't drink caffeine at all I haven't done for 3 years the only thing I have is the very occasional chocolate bar as I also have eating issues and sometimes my sugar levels drop suddenly- I'm trying not to worry about it but it's so hard I'm also disabled so find it abit awkward getting around I'd love to do some gardening but not sure how far I'd be able to get with that -I used to make sweet trees and sell them but got so busy I couldn't handle the stress
    • Posted

Yes Sharon do ask your dentist, aww I am sorry you are unable to garden. Is there a way someone could set up a small raised bed, or a small pot of soil on a table, you could take care of some miniture plants. There are lots of aids out there for disabled gardeners, I suffer arthritis its agony, I made lots of aids my self out of old tools, At first it was very difficult and I have good and bad days. I also love to take photographs with my camera, and Mum taught me to crochet. I hope you can find a hobby that will help and suit you. If you have a Social Worker, Occupational Health Worker or someone that can guide you ask them. I have just heard that Doctors and the RHS Gardening Organisation are going to work together to help people with mental health disorders and physical disablities. best of luck xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.