Still Struggling

Posted , 3 users are following.

Well about two months ago I made a post about being diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism, its been anything but easy. Since then my numbers are JUST back in range and my endo wanted me to stop taking PTU because of that but my regular doctor said it was only back in range because I was taking it and advised to keep taking it and we would test it again in a few weeks, so I have. Has anyone been treated for a short time depression due to the everyday symptoms that the thyroid has caused?

newest number: 0.651

T3 146

T4 1.30

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Winks070, I would advise you to listen to your own body. If you feel that you still show symptoms of hyperthyroidism then take the medication a while longer and have your thyroid levels tested in a few weeks. If on the other hand you feel very tired and exhausted and can't get enough sleep then you might approach the hypothyroid range. In that case eighter have the PTU dose lowered or stop taking it. 

• Posted

I don't know  if they tested Regular T3 and T4 in you but they should have tested Free T3 and Free T4.  Whenever you post lab results you also need to post the range for normal for your lab right beside them as this differs from lab to lab.  While your TSH is in the normal range or close to it (depending on your lab's ranges), I prefer a level of 1.5 as ideal.  At the level you are at, a relapse can happen very quickly and you do not have a lot of room to drop from before your disease would get activated again.  Before discontinuing meds, as well as having levels stable where you want them, I would also insist that antibodies be checked and if not in the normal range, I would not discontinue meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.