Still suffering with intrusive/depressive thoughts

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well i'm back and still struggling-god when did life get so hard!! 😫 Know people have it lots worse but i know it's one of the toughest times of my life, battling through all the horrible symptoms of depression (negative/intrusive thoughts,no self-esteem/self worth,low mood) 4 and a half months on and I'm still constantly fighting.

Swapped anti-depressants like 5 weeks ago to Venlafaxine starting on 37.5mg then went up to 70mg after a week then to 112.5mg after 2 weeks and then I'll go up to 150mg tomorrow. Have seen glimpses of the old me and had some good days but then get low again and I'm devasted. Basically looking for reassurance that all will be well and that the medication will kick in eventually, positive venlafaxine stories would be just what I need to hear! Have a loving and super supportive family/friend network but know they must be sick of this,I know I am 😔

1 like, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello anya, ive been on ven for 4 months now, and its completely transformed me, from a depressed wreck, at the start, It took 10 weeks of being on ven, going through dose increases, until i started to notice improvements. The improvements then snowballed, and are still happening, over the last 7 weeks to now. Last week i was happy all week, the best ive felt in a couple of years. I started from a really bad state, which is probably why it took so long. My family, who thought i should have been admitted to hospital, are so happy with my recovery. I take immediate release ven, and although i didnt see the improvements start until 10 weeks, from the start i emjoyed taking it, as after about an hour after, i would get a pleasant dreamy state. A friend of mine who started ven at the same , mainly for anxiety, has had similar improvements, although it took a while, like with myself. I couldnt be happier with ven now. Sure its just a matter of time for you, and ven seems to take a while to get going. All the best.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Susan

Thank you so much for replying , I really appreciate it. Tbh I've alwaya had a tendency to have weird dreams, even prior to my most recent bout of mental illness. Now, although if described my dreams don't sound particularly horrible they have this weird, unpleasant feeling which does unsettle me when I wake and can five me a bad start before I've done anything! X

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Nigel

Thank you so much for replying, I think you responded to my desperate plea last time! So pleased to hear you're in a good place, long may it last! I have had some better days, was away at the weekend and had 2 bad days but then 2 really good days. I then thought, 'that's it I'm better' but came home and have had a major down, intrusive thoughts, really low mood and the belief I'm a horrible person-its exhausting and scary. So scared that the ven. won't work and where would I go from there I've already been off work nearly 5 months. Thank you for your positive story, it gives me hope, I just need to stay strong and keep going

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ohhh thank you for sharing, was just wondering, that's what my sister is on, just hoping 150mg is enough for me. Such a lonnng, frustrating process and I just want to b better! Starting CBT tomorrow, who knows what that will bring....

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello, yes its a horrible state to be in. Recovering can be almost as bad, as improvements happen, then dissapear at the start. Almost worse in a way, as you forget how to cope when the bad state returns. This chopping and changing is likely to go on for a few more weeks. Gradually the good periods happen more often, and become stronger, and the opposite for the bad ones. Its so early for you on 150mg. You have to that dose a minimum of 4 to 5 weeks, in order to see whether you need a further increase, ie are you going in the right direction, rather than a recovery. For a recovery, you are looking at approx 10 to 12 weeks on a particular dose.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ohhh yes you're sooo right, managed to get away for a couple of days last week, 2 bad days but then 2 really good days where I actually felt like me-god it was exciting,foolishly thought I was fixed, came back home and then right down again-disappointed doesn't cover it!! Only started 150mg yesterday so a long road ahead still 😔

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am the same got I'll 5 months ago, car,nt recover ,been on mitazapine, prozac, now escitalopram 5mg, but carn,t stop going to wee, full bladder feeling, I still wake up with my thoughts if I hear a song will repeat it through the day in my mind,, feel off balance and dizzy, as if the floor is moving, do you get bad dreams at all on it?,I haven't tried it to be honest ,but lots have, I hope you soon start to feel better,

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ohhh I'm back again! Been on Venlafaxine for about 12 weeks now and on the higher dose (150mg) for around 7 weeks. Had a great couple of weeks,felt like the old me! Being with friends, driving, enjoying myself basically. Thought yes this is it I'm finally better and back to my old self then...boom! Past few days low again, teary, feeling anxious, restless. Has anyone experienced this? I was increasing the ven. gradually and would experience an up but then down again. Wondering whether I need to be on a higher dose....or is this normal? Hoping it will eventually even itself out...

Also has anyone experienced weight gain whilst I'm on anti-depressants? I'm on venlafaxine and mirtazapine and can't seen to stop putting weight on 😔

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up