Still - Total lack of feeling after 7 months

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a partial knee replacement, 7 months ago and the opposite side of my knee that was replaced is still totally numb - a total lack of feeling to the area (about 3 inches above and below the knee)....

Is this normal and would "compression hosiery" help to improve blood flow ?

I have a pair of knee length compression socks - but they would cut into the middle of the "seam".

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, It's where the nerves were cut and will possibly always be numb, mine is. Nothing to worry about, it's not blood flow or anything important.

• Posted

Hi Steve

When I was on waiting list for TKR I read that there could be numbness around the joint operated on & it can last up to a year.

I am at 13weeks & just beginning to feel onthe outside of my operated knee. It feels like when you have a filling at the dentist & your mouth starts to come back to 'life' again afterwards.

Unsurprising considering the operation we have had. Don't forget the nerves have been cut & can take a while to grow back.

I think the answer to your question is time. Also I wear, up to knee, compression hosiery for PTM, but I don't think it will help, or hinder, in your context.

Good luck

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

So many nerves were cut in our knees. We may or may not get back any feeling. Just have to make the most of your new knee.
  • Posted

for what its worth, i had my tkr 10 months ago, and my nerves as well on top of my right side of knee were severed (cut), i think im getting more feeling back since months ago, but may never return completely, hang in there. i do think using a wrap or sleeve around the knee does help some. good health to you
  • Posted

I really don't think that the problem is blood flow.  Lack of feeling is almost certainly a problem with the nerves in the area, and is pretty common. two years after TKR I still have numbness around the knee, and partial numbness in the thigh.  On the bright side, numbness is certainly an improvement over pain, and if it is permanent, you do get usedf to it. . .well, I have anyway . . 

• Posted

HiSteve. IM 8.5 months post R TKR and that numb feeling is still there. It may come back but don't worry about it. Recovery can take a year or more. Take care. Nuala

• Posted

I have had less numbness since rubbing  the area gently which is affected the most...
  • Posted

Hi Steve

I agree (again) with Cheryl, I massage my scar & knee with bio oil every day, since doing this have started getting feeling back.

Good luck

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.