still waiting for answers

Posted , 5 users are following.

have been diagnosed with one small melon sized and a few smaller fibroids. getting quite frustrated with feeling so rubbish. had a hysteroscopy 25/1. then my notes were lost I had to chase every day to get a follow up appt with gyno.  after 2 weeks of intense pain i h ad to go to A+E. Saw consultant 9/2. Wanted me to have MRI scan. Which is Wed 25/2.  Next appt after that for cons is 9/4. Dr has signed me off for two months as feeling so ill and unable to stand all day which has a dispenser is part of the job.  On the whole been ok- but today just cannot stop crying- does anyone else have this. However- looking like I am about to give birth doesnot help. Iam 48 with two grown up daughters. Also my breasts seem really heavy and achey. Is this all hormonal? Would love any replies

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Ah Michelle, sorry i have no asnwers for you but my heart goes out to you.... I have one huge fibriod and multilpe small ones but Im not going to have surgery.... I hope you're feel better soon - things will improve for you x
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, I had something similar last year and was in agony with it. It took around 8 months from start to second op (which I think is abnormal). However I was ridiculously emotional and confused. I definately think it is hormonal, but also frustration. Have they offered you any painkillers, I didn't get much until I couldn't cope any longer and ended up on a mix of 20 painkillers a day. I also had a trip to A&E. I guess you feel like I did. No one is listening!!!!!

After that people seemed to be a bit nicer. I think because they realised that I was not just making a meal of it all. Have they said how large your fibroid is?

Are you hvaing any other symptoms? Kidney pain, pressure on your bladder, joint pain? X 

• Posted

Hi Bek. Thanks for reply- taking mefenic aicd three times a day and co-codamol at night and try not to in the day. glad its not just me! pressure onbladder is immense- feel like i am always in the loo. they also press on my diaphragm as i get out of breath very quickly.  You said second op- what was the first? the one they are most looking at is a small melon size
    • Posted

Hi Michelle, my story is a bit complicated. They thought I had a 'small ovarian cyst' eventually collapsed and ended up in A&E where they thought I had ovarian torsion so operated. When I came round the laparotomy and oopherectomy ended up being a laparoscopy (investigative something). They discovered a fibroid too large to be removed safely. Put on zoladex for 3 months before the removed it. By then it was around the size of a rugby ball or something. However when they did the surgery they discovered it had degenerated and was leaking into my body. Hence the pain (all this 2 weeks after my wedding). By the time I had the 2nd op I hadn't eaten solid food for 5 months. I totally sympathise with you. In the end I was in agony, dreaded going to the low. Spent most of my wedding week doubled up in a hot bath, had to have someone put my shoes on for me on the day as I just couldn't do it myself.

All I can say is keep pushing, one doctor told me those who yell loud enough. Another told me to stop whinging, I think I had just cause as my weight was just over 5 stone in the end and all they worried about was waiting lists! X x

• Posted

OMG!!! you poor thing. how you feeling now? Have asked my hubby ( who has been great- apart from the weeping, but I think that is general with men) to come on the consultant appt with me. As I am hoping they will make a decision so I want another pair of ears in case i forget something or I need back-up. Popped into work today- am signed off til 26/4 anyway- but reinforced that will be at least end of May before am back
  • Posted

Hi there, sorry to hear you are struggling, as you are not far off menopause, your fibroids will begin to shrink after you oestrogen levels fall, so operating may not help. You can ask for GNRH therapy to shrink the fibroid-its effectively an artifical menopause, and after 3 mths, they can give you 'add back HRT therapy. You cant take the GnRH for longer than 6mths at a time. I had 3 mths injections to shrink my melon sized fibroid-I had surgery as I am at least 10-12 yrs of menopause..it was undoubtedly tough on the GnRH..you have to weigh up the options..best of luck..or opt for UAE. 
  • Posted

Hi. Thanks for your support. Had MRI scan yesterday. Still extre,ely bloated but today feel a little more human. But know I must not use this as a reason to do to much.  So planning to knit and catch up with some tv recordings. BTW my first appt for breast screenng came the other day for next WEd. All go!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.