Stitches

Posted , 4 users are following.

i am now just over 3 weeks post op. This morning I noticed a stitch but it had a good 4 inches of thread attached. I cut with scissors as didn't want to pull so may have been longer. Really worried that stitches have come away before dissolving, anyone else had similar?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cathy,

i had some stitches come away just over 3 weeks, I still have 1 stitch left and I'm 10 weeks recovery today. But after the 3-4 week stage I didn't see any more stitches they have just dissolved.

i think you did the right thing by cutting iyour stitch off with scissors as you don't want to cause problems, but hopefully it's just the normal healing process you are going through. 

Take me it easy and try not to worry too much and if you are call your dr's its not worth making yourself worse with worry.

Take care. Mik xx

• Posted

Hi, I have had stiches that started to come away from three weeks I could feel some strings also hanging at the time chic and now I am seeing lots come away on the andrex toilet wipes, they now look more desolved and a dark purple black.

i have got to say ladies the andrex and Morrison toilet wipes none scented have been amazing for me and kept me very clean and it was my surgeon who recommended them, they also help when you just get that dull itch to dab, hope this helps.

i am 4 weeks 4 days A&P

happy healing💗

• Posted

It's very unlikely the stitch will come away before it's started to dissolved but you must be careful and not pull it. If you cut the ends you should really use sterile scissors because that's what a nurse or doctor would use to prevent the risk of infection. I've usually advised ladies to see the practice nurse in the surgery to do any cutting. There will have been a reason for the thread to have been left long.
  • Posted

Thank you, reassured me. The thread was hanging outside with knot at the end so cut the thread outside so hopefully will be ok. Had no bleeding or anything since
    • Posted

If the thread is outside then yes snip away because it's a nuisance. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.