Stitches help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey people, so I'm 15 days post posterior repair, I had an infection on day 5 which caused a couple of my vaginal stitches to pop due to a build up of fluid and have been told it will close by itself and I feel fine from that perspective...however, the very first stitch just inside is causing me a great deal of pain and irritation, (the two stitches following this are those that popped) could it be the stitch is coming away / dissolving as its should and catching / rubbing?? What can I do to ease this? Paracetamol isn't easing the pain and neither is diclofenac, I'm still on metronidazole and I've just finished taking co-amoxiclav so I don't think it's another infection...any ideas?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Oh that stitch is the worst one I found.

Felt like a needle sticking in me.

I sat on memory foam, and walked from the knees down, like a duck for a couple of weeks.

You have my sympathies.

I finally found that bending two sheets of thick toilet paper in half, and gingerly placing it at one side helped stop it prickling.

I got through a lot of toilet rolls before it finally broke up an disappeared.

It will go, really it will, but it's so sore, poor you :-(

• Posted

Yes it's exactly like a needle! How long did it take for yours to go? I'm debating seeing if a dr wil remove it, it's drivin me mad!
    • Posted

It took around two weeks, it was the end of the stitches where they were knotted, and about half an inch had been left, and was going sideways, and ridding in. IT felt a lot better once it had dissolved.
  • Posted

The safest thing to do is make an appointment with the Practice Nurse at your GP surgery and see if she can snip the ends. On no account do that yourself, you're already recovering from an infection she will have the sterile equipment to deal with it.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, I feel your pain I couldn't sit on my bottom till 4 week with the stiches, I tel you what helped me, i got a cotton pillow case and ice pops x3 rolled them in it laid on the bed twicea day put tem through my knickers, I bet your thinking why ice pops because they are thin and movable, it numbed the area.

the bloody stiches pricked that much it was making me bleed.

happy healing

• Posted

You can safely take both paracetamol and diclofenac - that's what I did post op.
    • Posted

You have to be careful now with Diclofenac and a lot of doctors have actually stopped prescribing it and it's been withdrawn from over the counter sales.
    • Posted

That's interesting, whys that? I went Drs this morning and a kind gentleman snipped the ends off, omg what a relief, it's sore from rubbing/catching but no more spiking sensation each time I move 👍🏻
    • Posted

Diclofenac. Was linked to cardiac problems.

I was taken off it.

• Posted

That's correct Laura it was the drug of choice for many particularly for back pain and it was given regularly to women following childbirth as well. My husband found it was the only thing that helped his backache but our GP stopped it as soon as the concerns were raised. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.