stomach and acid problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi aint been on here for a while but im at my wits end and really scared As for the past few weeks my stomach under my rib left side has been rumbling alot mainly when i lie down. And for the the past week or two ive been reli bloated and burping alot and also had this burning feeling from the top of my guts and on my chest and the odd little back pains. Been to docs numerous of times and they have said they are not worried and have changed my anti dep tablets to sertraline. Also i have been to the emergency department in total panic and got a lovely doctor who assured me that i was fine and i didnt have a serious illness she even done 7 blood tests liver kidnet etc and she said they would come back normal which they did and she said she only done it to try and reassure me which was reli nice as most docs just try nd get rid of you. I went to my docs a couple of days ago and she said i was fine and she wasnt concerned and even she was really nice and said il book u in for a ultra sound scan which im having on monday. Can this really be anxiety as i suffer really bad health anxiety. Does anyone else suffer this or similar. im really scared its alot more. Thanx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to mention my doc thinks theres nothing wrong with and shes only givin me the scan to put my mind at rest
  • Posted

Hi simon, I am 29 years old, for the past 4 months I have suffered almost non stop with mild/annoying discomforts of my stomach, upper and lower abdoman, along with toilet issues, mainly constipation....and I have been at my wits end with Health Anxiety....all starting when I had a really bad bacterial infection....at the hospital, I had an Ultrasound - convinced they would see something, they saw nothing other than the bacterial infection had caused some inflammations.....but I was fine, also blood tests that took hours and everything  came back fine. Then went to the doctors several times, had more blood tests and physical exams of my stomach....my doctors has stated so many times that "there is absolutely no doubt in her mind that I have anything wrong with me" that "she isn't even worried about me developing anything from these symptoms" that "these are anxiety/IBS" and since I have gone to the doctors again and again including a hosptial appointment for an endoscopy...guess what....the endoscopy showed absolutely nothing wrong with my stomach....not even the smallest of things.....so to answer yout question, yes, this can be really bad health anxiety...because when we have health anxiety, we become hypersensitive to our bodies and especially the gut....I have IBS and Health Anxiety and my symptoms that are nothing more than annoying and irritating cause my mind to go crazy with fear of what it its something more....but this is a common question we ask ourselves with health anxiety....best to accept your doctors diagnosis....once you do, no matter what the pain is or discomfort is, you know deep down, despite all our fears that you are safe and healthy....

Remember, a fearful thought is nothing more than that....a thought...it is not reality, doctors give us reality with real physical tests and they have had years of study and knowledge compared to our thoughtswink

• Posted

And also, it could be possible your symptoms are IBS...a very common digestive disfunction that I have, not pleasant but not threatening just uncomfortable.
  • Posted

How many times will you go to the doctor or hospital and how many tests and blood tests before you are convinced that there really is nothing wrong with you? You must have cost the NHS hundreds, if not thousands of pounds with all the tests and medication you've had but no amount of reassurance helps.  I get really frustrated at the number of messages on the anxiety board from people who never believe anything they're told but, I have to say it, wallow in their anxiety, Google the slightest niggling pain and read everyone's messages about their anxiety symptoms which only fuels their own anxiety.  STOP!  Think about the fact that something you're eating may be the cause of your bloating, do you drink milk, (well known for bloating)  Do you drink lots of fizzy drinks? Do you have the pains ALL the time or only when you think about them?  It could just be diet related but your overactive imagination is telling you it's something sinister but, as you've been told many times, it's anxiety.  Don't you realise that the mere fact of being anxious and stressed is more likely to kill you than all the niggling pains you get.  I have had my share of anxiety but NOTHING like what I've read on here.  I got fed up with it making me worry about things and so I recorded myself giving myself a really good telling off, asking myself what I had to be worried about and listing all the good things that happen to me so now, instead of dreading anything that caused me anxiety, I look forward to doing it and the anxiety disappeared.  I'd let it spoil my life for many years but not any more so you should look at your problem from another side.  You've been told, many times, that there's NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU, you've had plenty of tests to show that THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU. If everyone dashed off to the doctor or hospital every time they felt a little pain or twinge the system would collapse. Think yourself very luck that you HAVEN'T got anything wrong with you.  My friend is in hospital at the moment after having an operation for bowel cancer, there are people with REAL things wrong with them, you, on the other hand, have been assured that there's nothing wrong with you, you must accept that.
    • Posted

I think you need to understand that Health Anxiety is very real my friend and you should not be coming on forums discussing such tripe....I hope your friend gets better....but you need to take a look at how pathetic your comment is...think you need to be on another forum
    • Posted

Probably coming from someone who's never had anxiety and do not realise how disabling it is
  • Posted

You obviously didn't take in what I said in my previous message, I said that I had had my share of anxiety.  I worried about going somewhere new, I worried about meeting people, I worried that my headache was a brain tumour or my indigestion was cancer, I worried that I had a bad heart and even though I have ACTUALLY been diagnosed with a heart murmur and always have abnormal ECGs I don't continually worry about those things.  I have diabetes where I have to inject myself four times a day, there is heart disease on both sides of my family, and I've had plenty of hospital tests that I have really worried about but I WILL NOT let any of those facts totally ruin my life.  OK, so I probably will die earlier than I would if I didn't have those things but what time I have left I've realised will be wasted if I spend all my time worrying myself into an even earlier grave by every little ache and pain I get.  So, all you people who suffer from health anxiety, I'm sure all your feelings are totally real but are you just going to let them ruin all your lives by not believing anything that you are told my doctors?  Go on Googling your symptoms and reading all the messages from other people with health anxiety and live in your own little anxious worlds for the rest of your lives OR you could say to yourself "I've been told there's nothing wrong with me and I will NOT let my thoughts and fears rule and ruin the rest of my life". 
    • Posted

Honestly Spindles, I know you don't mean any malice but you're being a little harsh. People come on here to share experiences, to speak out their fears as we all need a little reassurance sometimes. Anxiety is very hard to accept especially when the symptoms are physical. But we can help each other by relating and sharing experiences and eventually, hopefully, we can be as strong as you are and have the same positive outlook as you.
  • Posted

But does it really help for everyone to keep saying "There, there" and talking about what each other is feeling as this must just add to the anxious feelings not help people to overcome them?  If you are always having your fears reinforced by what other people have or are experiencing then this can't be good for anyone, surely?  Instead of being sympathetic  in a "there, there" way what's wrong with saying that you've been told there's nothing wrong with you so why make your life a misery by dwelling on every ache and pain?   Why not wake up one morning and tell yourself that you will NOT be controlled by your anxiety, that you will try your very best to get through the day by putting any thoughts about your health to the back of your mind and see what happens. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.