Stomach bug and IBS

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I'm.currently on holiday in Florida. We arrived last Thursday and I suddenly spiked a temperature, went right off food and had horrendous diarroah. I didn't eat anything for 2 days. Yesterday in myself I felt a lot better, temperature normal, aches gone, but diarroah still there with avengence. I have started eating plain food. Getting stomach cramps and keep having to rush to loo. Even anti diaoroah tablets aren't helping.

This is first stomach bug I've had since being diagnosed with IBS. Does a bug bring on a flare up of IBS?

Any advice on what I can do to help it? We have put off going to parks so far as I need to be close to a loo all the time.

Thank you in advance x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

try drinking more water and be careful of what type of foods you are eating

• Posted

Thanks. Today has been even worse. Hardly eaten a thing but had dreadful bouts of diarroah 9 times today. Feel totally wiped out
  • Posted

Hey debs...you are right...stomach bugs can initiate IBS flare up....Just you need to do is keep eating very light and keep hydrating with some electrolytes...coconut water is great for that...another thing is you can first mix yogurt well that it doesn't have any chunks and then add one banana and eat it in the morning with empty stomach and after half an hour you can eat what you want. that will help you in your diarrhea and also yogurt's good bacteria will fight off any bad bugs which is causing you these symptoms....it will take some time but hopefully you will be ok.

• Posted

Sounda like an IBS flare up which a bug may have triggered. Cut out fruit   And take Imodium.  This worked for me during a flare up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.