Stomach issues?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I'm new here, and really need some advice!  Back about a month ago, I started getting an upset stomach every time I ate.  About an hour after I would eat, I'd feel full, like I needed to get sick, for about 4-6 hours (5-8 hours after the meal).  Then on June 13, I had a severe pain, like someone had stabbed me through the back, mid chest (thought I was having a heart attack).  I went to the ER, they did a full workup on my heart, and told me it was most likely a gallbladder problem.  I went to my GP and they ordered an ultrasound.  It came back normal, so I was put on omeprazole.  As of today, nothing has changed, I am having crampy type pains in my lower right side (front and back)  along with an occasional 'twinge' in the upper middle chest area.  If I avoid eating, and only drink water, I feel fine, as I would normally.  I don't feel hungry ever, but as long as I don't eat I feel good!  As soon as I eat, I feel fine for an hour and a half or so, but then I start to feel really full, like I need to throw up for several hours.   I called the Dr, and they want me to try zantac, I don't think it will help.

Additional background, my father died at 59 years old from pancreatic cancer, which most likely started in his gallbladder (we didn't perform autopsy so can't confirm), at least one of his 2 sisters had their gb removed, along with his mom. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? anything I should try, or do I just push for the HIDA test? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I would have them check for an ulcer. Symptoms are similar.  Also, You can have a diseased gallbladder without stones.  Do they know for sure your GB is healthy?
    • Posted

No, they have only done the ultra sound, and since there were no abnormalities they assumed its healthy.
  • Posted

A CT scan would provide a definitive answer regarding a gallstone; it was how I found my gallstone. 
  • Posted

Sounds like gall bladder Mary, I’m struggling with similar issues. Twice I had an ultrasound, and nothing showed up. 🤔

• Posted

I have a family history of gb issues also. My mother died after her gb surgery in 1980. I have had ALL tests, all negative. I was prescribed dicyclomine by my Gastro dr and I take it when I get a flare up and it does help. Still a mystery to all of them though. 
  • Posted

You should seriously consider a full investigation of your pancreas because of your dad's disease . An MRI with contrast is very detailed and will rule out many things .

Pancreatic cancer is very curable in the early stages ,but in late stages is incurable like in Steve Jobs and Patrick Swayze.

Hope you get better soon

• Posted

I had all the same symptoms I have a Great gynecologist though he referred me straight to the surgeon. They removed my gallbladder and appendix at sane time. Lost 14 lbs after surgery but now I’m gaining it back since I’ve recovered and can eat again. Kinda wish I was still not able I need to get my eating under control. I do not want to gain it all back. 
    • Posted

Some advice from the other side, don't wish you can't gain weight as you can change your diet a little & exercise,  I was a healthy person all my life but at 48 I couldn't eat much, lost 45 pounds in 6 months & could not gain as sick weekly.  It is so scary when you are so thin, you look sick & your elbows & hips hurt if you lean on them as there's no fat for padding.  You are in control in your situation but with mine I'm not.  I know my situation is rare but appreciate being able to eat & gain! Lol.  smile.   It's been almost 2 years like this for me.  It's like having the stomach flu weekly, brutal.   I've only managed to gain 5 pounds of the 45 lost.  I need another 10 or 15 to not be under weight.  It's a nightmare that never ends.  

• Posted

Your right I am in control and I should get it together. I’m so sorry about your situation I’ll say a Prayer for you. 
  • Posted

Hi Mary, yes that is all sounding like me, even with the Pancreas.  I have just learned I have been discharged from the hospital consultants as they adamantly refused to believe it is the GB.  I am constantly being told that a GP cannot refer me for a HIDA scan but has to be done by the consultant, which I do not believe!  If someone would like to say this is truth I'd be glad to hear because right now I feel failed and hurt by whats happening to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.