Stomach issues for a year led to health anxiety

Posted , 8 users are following.

I just really need to vent about what I've been going through esp since I don't feel like anyone around me can relate. For a year now I've been having stomach issues and it has caused severe stress, worry, anxiety and depression because I feel like I have to live the rest of my life as a sick person. I suffer from acid reflux, gastritis and IBS. Actually right now I'm having a flare up...I feel a bit nauseous as I ate something that was a bit too spicy. I can feel the gurgling in my stomach. The ending of last year was probably the darkest period of my life. I was sick every other week. I was in and out of the doctor's office, doing a bunch of tests. I was put on omeprazole which I think has helped as I am doing a bit better now. But ever so often I'll get a flare up (like right now) which would remind me of last year when things were at its worst. It makes me depressed because I realize I have not beaten these illnesses. I am not fully healed. Will I ever be? There was a period last year when I had to live on milk, smoothies and soup. I couldn't stomach solid food. I lost weight. It scarred me mentally. Is there anyone out there who can relate? Can you offer any advice on how to beat these conditions? Please suggest diet and lifestyle tips. Also, please suggest medications and tips to help with the mental stress. Thank you.

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi im in the same boat and my stomach is churning as i write this so horrible ive only just woken up aswell. but whats scary for me is the other random synptoms i have. cheast pain pressure gurgling espcially at night with random episodes of breathlessness. id like to think this is normal for someone with acid reflux issues as thats what rhe doc says it is. but seems like i carnt find anyone to relate the symptoms aswell. I get ringing ears sometimes. foggy head and i find it hard to jst put it down to reflux and makes me think somthing else might be going on. feels like im about to have a heart attack when i have really bad days . Id like to hear others have some of these symptoms would reasssure me a lil bit. As i was on omerprozole for over a year and did nothing tbf and now im trying eomerprozole . But seems like anything i try makes no diffrence. eat right eat less dont eat at night bla bla the usual ive tried everthing but still i have these random epidodes. that i feel like are having a real impact on my everyday life sad . i would like it gone or atleast the magic cure to rid me of it myself for good hope u find a good solution for your problems
    • Posted

I am so sorry to hear of your struggles. I have not slept for the night. I'm exhausted and falling asleep while writing this but my stomach is too upset to lie down. What tests have you done and what's the diagnosis? Keep talking to your doctor and doing research. There is a solution!

• Posted

You are probably suffering from GERD and this can be scary as some of the symptoms mimic a heart attack. Talk to your doctor about a good antacid. I've heard pepto bismol is good. Also, talk to your doctor about a good proton pump inhibitor or PPI (tablet) to reduce acid production in your stomach. If omeprazole doesn't work, there are many others. I've heard nexium is good. Diet and lifestyle changes will be key. Make sure you eat on time and avoid trigger foods. Eat steamed foods. Drink milk and eat yoghurt. Lots of water. All will be well, don't worry. Do something that u enjoy...like a hobby to take your mind off it. The anxiety makes it worse. For me, I watch movies and TV shows as a distraction. Good luck, friend.

• Posted

Bananas are good too. I think they are alkaline so can neutralize stomach acid.
  • Posted

Do you drink sodas? Do you eat a lot of sugar?
    • Posted

Could be one of the main causes of your stomach problems, especially the acid reflux. I quit drinking sodas last year and have been eating healthy and I never get the acid reflux nor stomach problems any longer. Quit cold turkey and never look back. It will be the best thing you have ever done.

The brain will have to get used to it at first, it can be hard not to grab a soda since it's so easy, and tell family member not to buy it for you if they normally do. You can also can try getting ginger shots, which will soothe your stomach. It tastes like hell and burns your throat but will do wonders inside. It's up to you.

• Posted

I did a little super healthy month where I ordered some flash frozen screwed organic vegetables and fruit smoothies, a huge variety with ingredient I've never even eaten before. I noticed my health became significantly better and I think many vitamin and minerals deficiencies were also getting filled by drinking those smoothies. It also reduced my craving for sweet things and especially sodas. After a month or so I didn't even think of sodas any longer, and even when I would eat harty food, normally I would always think "man a coke would go great with this meal" and I no longer had that thought either. I'd be good with water, sometimes milk and even more rarely I'd take some orange juice.

I also lost a lot of weight by cutting off sodas and limiting my intake of sugar. The pounds just flew off without doing much. My returns have been more energy, less anxiety, a clearer mind, a bit more confidence, and most of all, a lot healthier.

• Posted

Anxiety actually causes these things and can make them much worse in people. But fear not if you change your diet and start watching what you eat you can for the most part start alleviate a lot of these symptoms you just have to have a stubborn I can do anything attitude and you can do it. 

I have the same thing except I didn’t care for omeprazole and my stomache issues are deffinetely anxiety induced. 

I would also advise you to do some reaserch on something called the fast track diet it keeps your stomach moving quickly also probiotics etc. of course consult with your doctor first but just know your not alone and you can figure these things out 

• Posted

Thank you so much. I will research the fast track diet. I've been eating a lot of yoghurt and making smoothies with yoghurt in it. What symptoms do you get? How do you control your symptoms and how do you control your anxiety? I struggle with the mental effects of this condition and there aren't many people around me who can relate. I get paranoid and often wonder if my condition is life threatening or incurable. This is why I turned to this forum and i must say, it has helped. I feel better knowing I have the support of this online community. 

• Posted

I also have a lot of stress and my abdomen is damaged
    • Posted

I'm very sorry to hear. Have you seen a doctor and had tests done? I hope you find a way to control your stress. I've heard yoga and meditation are wonderful.

• Posted

To all having similar unsolvable problems, first have all your meds checked by either a pharmacist or doctor to see that they don't interact with each other or a negative effect with your medical condition. Then ask your doctor to refer you to dietician who could make up a daily menu for you. Insurance usually covers.

• Posted

Thank you. I think diet and lifestyle changes can solve half the problem. People on this forum have given me great diet tips. What foods do you eat?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.