Stomach pain after endoscopy

Posted , 32 users are following.

Hi,

Please I need your help!

Two months ago I was tested positive for H. Pylori however I have never experienced any pain or stomach discomfort in my life. My doctor (I am from the easter european country) insisted that I do an endoscopy. I was convinced that it is very safe procedure and I agreed. However the same day after the upper endoscopy was performed I started to experience stomach burning, pain and heartburn/chest pain. So bad that I had to go to emergency. Endoscopy showed a chronic gastritis and duodenitis. However my GI doctor did not think I need antibiotics since the gastritis was mild. I was taking PPI for 3-4 weeks but my symptoms were getting worse with no imrpovement, stomach pain was getting stabby and unbearable and it started to hurt a lot on the right side under ribs. It also feels like something is swallen under right ribs and makes popping sound (ultrasound did not show anything). After PPI were not helping much I was put on Sucralfate (also called Carafate) and it helped a bit. Now it is been 2 months, I am back in Canada where I am residing permanently and doctors here have no idea what is going on. They sent me to redo the H.Pylori test and another theory they have is a bile reflux.  I am really scared because for over 2 months I have not had a day without pain even on the better days,  I eat very special diet and I lost some weight because I could not eat enough and underweight. I saw 3 GI doctors (one in Russia and 2 in Canada) and they all say that they have never seen a case like me... to get problems after endoscopy... so I can not get a certain diagnose from them.  I am wondering if anyone had similar problem or have any idea about it... not sure what to do anymore and where to get any help sad

1 like, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi janna,

Its really odd you had no pain prior to the endoscopy...perhaps the procedure disturbed something in your digestive system.  Perhaps you should rerquest an

ultrasound scan to see if there might be a gall stone in the gall bladder or in the bile duct...this can cause pain..its worth a try.  Go back to your doc and ask if you can be referred for an ultrasound scan....best wishes..

• Posted

Hi Lilian,

Thank you for reply! I spent a lot of time blaming myself for agreeing on endoscopy despite the fact that I did not have the pain, it looks like in Russia it is common for doctors to send people for endoscopy as a routine kind of test, all my family members did it before and they had no problems or complication.

I came back to Canada and they did the ultrasound and bunch of blood test, ultrasound did not show anything wrong and the only test which was abnormal is high bilirubine but doctors said it is Gilber syndrom and not related to my pains.

It seems that endoscopy did something to my stomach, currently I need to go and redo the H. Pylori test and will have to take antibiotics if it is positive ..I think doctors really don't know what is happening so they will try things one by one. But I am (as my family doctor) not sure if my problem is due to H.Pylori since I had no pain before, could it be that endoscopy made H.Pylori infection worse?  I am getting a lot of pain on the right side of the stomach too (under ribs) and have something popping out of my rib but it did not show on the ultrasound!! Thank you for your support! 

• Posted

Hello im 29 and  I had endoscopy done 2 days ago and ever since my stomach and chest have been hurting on my right side I feel like my bottoms ribs have been bruised, and my lower stomach really hurts mainly after I've eaten I also feel sick and very exhausted I'm not sure if this is all normal so I don't want to phone the doctors I've been taking some tablets for the pain but they don't seem to help much I don't want to phone doctors if it's nothing any advice 

• Posted

Hey Peyten, me too!  I'm 66 and had one 4 days ago and am having the exact same symptoms!  I've put in a call to the GI doc and she is not returning the calls.  I have an appointment on Wed with my primary care provider, I'll let you know what she says.  Did yours every go away?  Can you tell me how long it took?  Im burping a lot too....and not sleeping well cuz of the pains....

• Posted

Hi

No you call them and tell them

They font understand at all

It's 3 months for me and if been to Drs 6 times . It hurts, they must do some damage or somthing becouse if we are all feeling this and they don't worn us it's not good enough.

I guess it's admitting liability.

My last Drs appt he just touched my tummy for a minute and said your sore from the procedure

Ok grait no what !!!

It will take time he said.

Iv a bussiness to run and it's important people rely on me but iv not been very well at all its ruinning my life to the point that I'm considering selling and my home becouse of fear I'm going to loose it all in on my own no one else to help it's taken me 9 years to to fight to keep everything and now after this endoscopy and my liver problembs iv been fighting for nothing. I can't cope with normal daily life it's just draining and exhausting.

Iv done alot of research and found out that we have a nurve nexed to the gallbladder and liver and in wondering if this is the cause of the pain we all maybe experiencing.

Some days are better then others .

Keep bowels open and eat heathly seems to help a bit.

Good luck

Take care

• Posted

hi Janna . i have chronic gastritis but not H Pylori . couse of h pylori you have a lot of pain . as i read about  the treatement is antibiotic and ppi to eradicate it . h pylori is a bad bacteria in your stomach . natural stuff can help also , cabbage juice , dgl licorice ,aloe vera ,l-glutamine . but first of all the treatement couse this bacteria is very dangereus
  • Posted

If you have h. Pylori the doctor should have put you on antibiotics for a week along with decent anti acid med. I hope you get better soon. Ethan. 
  • Posted

Janna,

Did you ever get your issue resolved? I had an EGD today too & woke up in recovery with stomach burning & hurting. I have been home for 10 hrs now & pain is worse. I have had 4 EGD's over the past 15 yrs and this is first time ever to have this pain. I am hoping you are well by now and may can tell me more of your experience.

Regards!

• Posted

Oh no! Did you ever find out what was wrong? I am due to have my endoscopy tomorrow and I am freaking out about the possibilities of perforation and such. Hope all is well
  • Posted

Hi Janna

I had an endoscopy 3 weeks ago ..I was fine afterwards just a little discomfort.

I am now in a lot of pain..they said I don't have pylori h just or a hernia , just an inflammation of the stomach lining ..

I also have a bruise on my stomach where the camera went passed the ribs and very sure to touch ...I can see it when I look in the mirror..

Did you have a bruise after you had yours done ..

If not does anyone else reading this have one as I'm a little worried about it .

I hope you find out what is wrong with you soon ..

Many thanks sue

• Posted

Suzanne, are you any better?  How long did it take til you felt better?

• Posted

I had an endoscopy 4 days ago. The first day, after I got home, I could eat and drink everything. I thought I did not get any pain from that. But in the night, my stomach was hurt, I left in the flicker of pain lasted the first night. The second day more better, I felt uncomfortable after eating. I drank a can of Coca-Cola to digest food and got a heartburn. Then I felt good in the day. In the second night, I got pain at 3 o'clock. So I stood up, took a deep breath and stretched my body out. The pain was gone. The third day and the fourth is same the second day. In the  morning, I don't have pain, but after eating need to drink something has gas to digest food and have heartburn. But in the night, a bout 2am or 3am, I get pain and need to stretch out and take a deep breath, the pain will be gone.  Have everyone had same my problem?

• Posted

I had an endoscopy 4 days ago. The first day, after I got home, I could eat and drink everything. I thought I did not get any pain from that. But in the night, my stomach was hurt, I slept in the flicker of pain lasted the first night. The second day more better, I felt uncomfortable after eating. I drank a can of Coca-Cola to digest food and got a heartburn. Then I felt good in the day. In the second night, I got pain at 3 o'clock. So I stood up, took a deep breath and stretched my body out. The pain was gone. The third day and the fourth is same the second day. In the  morning, I don't have pain, but after eating need to drink something has gas to digest food and have heartburn. But in the night  about 2am or 3am, I get pain and need to stretch out and take a deep breath, the pain will be gone.  Have everyone had same my problem?

• Posted

Not sure if you will reply as its been almost a year but worth a shot.

I had my endoscopy a month ago and am having all the symptoms you describe.I to have been put on PPI's and no help.I had no ulcers or problems and my biopsy was clean.My doctor insists its IBS and even though I know I have IBS these are not the symptoms.Curious if you ever got a resolution or are cured?

• Posted

Brandy,

Any.answers for your problems I am in severe pain 3.days post open endo second 1 in 10 days...desperate here

• Posted

Hi janna I have the same problem exactly the same history one I am 2 months post endoscopy and till now everyday I have stomach with some chest pain . I blame myself to do endoscopy because I had no stomach pain before.

What happen to you if you can please tell me .

God bless you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.