Stomach problems Dr. thinks gallbladder but tests show nothing?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Good Morning all, I am 60 and have had really bad right side pain for a good year. Also feel sick all the time and have not much of an appetite. Seems to go along with my pain and makes me not want to eat. I have had an ultrasound, go for a endoscopic scope Tuesday. Dr, has also booked something called a Hida scan as well. What happens when your tests all come back normal. Mine seem to and I cannot stand feeling this sick. Where do they go after the Hida scan if they don't see anything?   I know many of you have experienced some of this so please fill me in. Thanks to you all

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

I had constant pain under right ribcage and around my back up between my shoulder blade. I have several tests which included MRI scan, CT scan, ultrasound, various blood tests and an endoscopy. I was due to go for a HIDA test but the consultant decided surgery was needed instead of delaying. I did not have any gallstones or sludge. I was presenting with all the symptoms of gallbladder issues. Feeling sick all the time, vomiting about an hour after eating and having the constant dull ache. My was diagnosed with an enlarged gallbladder. I had surgery a year ago. After my operation the consultant stated that my gallbladder was very diseased and enlarged. I only just had the gallbladder removed by keyhole a few minutes later and I could have had open surgery. I am still having a few issues with pain under my rib cage occasionally and i have developed problems with reflux acid. Currently trying out different medication.

• Posted

Thankyou Gwyneth, this has been making me sick for a long time and I am at that point where I just can't take it.. I hope my gastro doc yanks that gallbladder out. I sure hope you get the right meds that will help you.

• Posted

I honestly think the HIDA scan will show the gallbladder isn’t functioning properly. That seems to be the results when you feel that way. Fingers crossed you get it done asap and get results from dr quickly with a plan xx
    • Posted

Hi Scottie, Thanks for the reply. I honestly can't wait to get this HIDA scan. I live in Alberta and we have long waits for anything medical. My scan is on the 20th and I just want to get it done. Can't come soon enough for me. Have a great day Scottie. I really appreciate the support. 

• Posted

Hi Scottie, Thanks for the reply. I honestly can't wait to get this HIDA scan. I live in Alberta and we have long waits for anything medical. My scan is on the 20th and I just want to get it done. Can't come soon enough for me. Have a great day Scottie. I really appreciate the support. 

• Posted

I had the HIDA scan done but only took 10 days to get it. Was a consultant surgeon who requested it when I was an inpatient and got it done as outpatient so got done pretty quickly considering. I’m in Scotland though. 

Just a little warning that you may feel really bad when they give you the injection of the stuff and the drink too. I was in even more pain straight after the scan and at least for the next few days as well. Actually was already in agony and didn’t go away until the gallbladder was out! My HIDA scan showed an ejection fraction of 31%. Anything under 35% is considered the gallbladder as not functioning properly. Only reason I got this was because the ultrasound I had as an inpatient was inconclusive and the surgeon wasn’t convinced it was the gallbladder (despite it being very distended on the ultrasound and very tender to touch when being scanned too) xx

• Posted

Hi Patricia61469, although I cant answer your question as to where they go  after you get all tests done that came back normal, I can say I have had the same pain in the right quadrant and had the Ultra sonogram test done on my gall bladder, pancreas, liver and right kidney with all normal results, my Dr set me up for the HIDA scan afterwards which I am currently waiting to get. My pain has been going on for a year as well and although no stones or sludge was found in my gall bladder, my Dr believes that it is failing me because of the Acute Pancreatic attack I finally had after a year of this horrible pain. If the HIDA scan comes out normal Im going to be persistent that they continue to do whatever tests necessary until they find the jest of the problem causing the pain. If you are in pain, dont let them tell you its all in your head, its your life and you need to stay on those DRs sometimes. All the best to ya and hope you get your pain issues resolved soon..
    • Posted

Thanks Joanna, Thanks for the support, I feel ya.  So sick of Doctors that do not listen. If I eat , I suffer every day. In honest I have been telling my doc about the pain for a long , long time.  The past year has been the Nausea , sweating, freezing and then comes the pain. He finally sent me to the gastr doc, thank goodness as I am at my witts end. LOL  I am hoping you get your issue dealt with as well. I love your attitude about staying strong with finding a solution. I plan to as well. Maybe we will both be pain free soon..

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up