stomache pains on sertraline

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ive been on 50mg of sertraline for 2 years and for a couple of days i havent taken it, now i have stomache pains no dioreer just pains, it feels a bit like trapped wind. has any one else had stomache pains on these tablets? and do you think by not taking them for a couple of days that it would give me stomache pains?

from karen

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am so nervous to go off setraline because I become so anxious so I really try not to miss it. I do have bloating but have no idea if it's from that. Why did you go off it. Did you have the pains while you were on it too? 
  • Posted

Absolutely, these are withdrawala symptoms!  If you read the labeling on these drugs they say to never stopped suddenly (cold turkey) due to "discontinuation syndrome."  Why did you decide to stop?  If you would like to come off this med, you must do so very slowly because your brain actually remodelled to take into account the drug's action (SSRI - serotonin re-uptake inhibitor).  You must go slowly to allow your nervous system to change back without big swings and destabilization caused by the imbalance of brain chemicals).

See the topic Reducing ADs with a 10% withdrawal method in this thread:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

• Posted

WOW, you need to get back on it ASAP.  Try 25mg daily and after a month try again but not after you contact your Doc.
  • Posted

Hi i just forgot to take them, and sometimes i get stomache ache when im on them as well. thanks for advice guys
  • Posted

Forgot to add that there are serotonin receptors outside the brain, in the gut, which is why you can have stomach and intestinal issues going on and coming off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.