Stopped Fluoxetine and still getting side effects?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has any experience.

I stopped Fluoxetine after 7 days, a week ago now and I am still getting side effects:

Panic attacks at night (random)

Not really sleeping to great

Sweats

Shaking

Nausea

Anxiety / restlessness

Bit down / randomly upset

I was never this bad before the tablets. Just wondering how long they take to leave your system and is this normal?

My doctor wants to start me on sertraline, but I am not sure I can go through the side effects again so soon!.

Thank you!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was on Fluoxetine Ten years ago and had no real side effects coming off them, but recently over the last year I've been having random Anxiety attacks. I am now on Sertraline 50mg a day and have been for 3 Weeks, the first week or so I did experience hot flushes and Sweating bouts. But apart from that I do feel 99% better in myself, but each medication affects people in different ways, what might work for some, may not work for others. I do hope you whatever your decision, you find the right medication, unfortunately, it's trial and error ro what is suitable for the patient.

• Posted

It took me about 10 days to start feeling a tad bit better after stoping flouxtine about on the 20 days to stop the rest of side affects
    • Posted

Eesh, thank you. Hopefully the worst will end soon I suppose!. 
  • Posted

Hi There! Sorry to hear you are struggling, but you are not alone! I started fluoxetine again after a 3-4 year break. Managed 7 days, now been off nearly a week and still feeling the effects! Exactly the same symptoms as you describe, racing heart, waking up panicky, the lot, hopefully they subside for us both as ruining my life! I will never take medication again, unless it's life-threatening!

I am trying CBT, counselling, healthy eating, vitamins, breathing exercises, early days but nothing worked before, (had depression, eating disorders, anxiety, panic attacks, suffered from stress all my life, I am a survivor of childhood sexual and physical abuse). Now nearly 45, still have issues but can analyse why I am this way better now than before, so maybe that will aid recovery!

I think doctors look to the symptoms first and not what is the underlying cause. If you get to the root of why you feel the way you do, maybe you too can have a life without medication.

Keep me posted with how things go, every day is a bonus, we are still alive!

As for the side effects, I believe they will subside in tiime, if not, then go and see your GP if you are worried, but remember, you are not alone.

Blessings and light.

Nicki.

• Posted

I'm trying to quit also, I have been taking a pill every other night. I'm having the same side effects. They say to wean yourself off instead of just stop taking it.

• Posted

I probably should have done this, my doctor just advised to stop it asap as I couldn't manage the side effects!. How long have you taken it for?

• Posted

I have had every side effect possible, I have started to wean myself off for about 4 days now. I'm getting the side effects that I was getting the first two weeks of taking this.

• Posted

Hi

Thats hardly any time. Id say about 4- 6 wks before they properly go away. Id say the worst side effects you going to get are in first 2 weeks. Just by my ecperience. If ur doc wants to change you to seratline i wonder why so soon. Prob best to find out why and what effects it will have if the fluox is still a bit in your system by time you change over. If the change in med is dremed important by doc you might not be in much worse position. Thing is think all the meds have side effects and vary person to person. Its a risk worth taking most of time cos when in most cases side effects go after a month you are left with a med that is really putting u back in control of a peaceful life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.