Stopped HRT after 20 years and now experiencing severe symptoms

Posted , 2 users are following.

****As a 66 year old woman, I started taking HRT 20 years ago, after experiencing depression, anxiety, flushes, etc. I am also ADHD, and started taking Adderall 5 years ago. With my HRT, Prozak for depression and Adderall for my ADHD, I started feeling like myself for the first time in years. It seemed like I had found the right combination of medications to "even" out my topsy-turvy life. Then my insurance company sent me a letter saying they would not pay for HRT in women over 65. I stopped taking my HRT, and was surprised that I had no side effects- until 6 months after stopping! It seemed that overnight my menopausal symptoms returned. I could deal with the flushes and the night sweats, but I began having severe headaches (back of my neck-maybe tension?) and terrible mood changes: I went into a rage with an opposing tennis player over a simple point- I seemed to cry every time I tried to discuss anything serious, and did not sleep well. I couldn't get in to see my doctor right away, so I found some (HRT) pills left over from "before" and started taking them again. Starting to feel a little closer to normal. See my doctor next week, and hoping she'll support me in continuing my HRT. I don't have any family history of breast cancer, and my blood pressure is pretty normal. Do I have a choice? I don't want to spend the last part of my life crying, raging and apologizing for my behavior. I want the control to be me!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Deb i am scared of this happening to me as well my quality of life has been terrible the last 18 months i am on HRT now but it hasn't completely taken away my symptoms i feel awful for 6 of my 12 waking hours but i dont want to give up those 6 hours.i am wondering if i am delaying menopause and i will have to go through this all again ! i never would wish this on my worst enemy. i am so sorry that it is bad for u again. please keep us updated on your Drs appt

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.