Stopped Mirtazipine a Week Ago

Posted , 5 users are following.

I saw my P doc 10days ago & was very lost in biploar depression. I mentioned that I was struggling with the really bad nightmares & increased salivation. The nightmares were affecting my quality if sleep & I felt dread upon waking up including after a nap. Weight wise I logged my weight once a week and didn't gain weight on 15mg since starting at 3months ago. Although I was frequently bloated which looked like weight gain.

I am glad I am off Mirt now & with no withdrawal side effects. Although its not certain as I was experiencing a bad relapse just before stopping Mirt.

I asked a CPN about withdrawal symptoms after 2 days if stopping Mirt and she had also previously been on 15mg the smallest standard dose & come off it without titrating it & no withdrawal symptoms.

So I thought I would share this here because it can be equally frightening starting & stopping psychiatric meds and the med becomes the focus of everything and its hard to know what's going on and reading too mych info can make the process worse. She wisely told me if we think it it can end up being a symptom and her being qualified & with personal experience of Mirt I have done my best to not look up info here and just let time run its course with stopping Mirt. Upon stopping Mirt my P doc also increased my Seroxat from 40mg to 60mg which might have helped me adjust too. My apppetite has increased hugely the last couple of days though so I'll keep an eye on that.

I hope my this post is of help to anyone due to or considering withdrawal from Mirtazipine and its going to be a different experience for each individual.

Peace & Best Wishes

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm coming off Mirt at the moment, and I found this very positive, and helpful. Thank you for sharing!

Kirsty

• Posted

Hi Kirsty

I'm so glad my post was of help to you.

I wish you well with this period adjusting to being off Mirt.

Best Wishes x

• Posted

Thank you. I especially found the part of "reading into symptoms" very interesting. I'm someone who believes, if you think about something long and hard enough you can make those symptoms start happening! I've read real horror stories about Mirt withdrawal, so positive posts are what I need!

Thank you again for the heartfelt post

Good luck to you too

Kirsty x

• Posted

Hi Mspanda.I'm glad to here it worked well for you.Right now I'm struggling with a combo of anxiety/depression/IBS and my meds.I was taking Paxil (20mg twice a day) and Librax(chlordiazpoxide) twice a day both for almost 20 years.& years ago after another bad IBS attack I had Bentyl twice a day added.Over that period of time I was taking Ibprofin 200mg  2 tablets twice a day for related back pain. Back in Oct.2016 I started having bad IBS(with me it's my colon spasming and anxiety) so in Dec I was started on Mirt(15mg pm) for sleep and switched to Tramadol 50mg twice a day replacing the Ibprofin as an endscopy showed some erosion in my stomach.I also had a colonscopy.Both tests were clear.As things didn't improve I saw a psc/doc In Feb. and over a period of time I was weaned off the Paxil and had another 15mg Mirtazpine added(15am,15pm) and Gabapetin starting at 200mg going up in 200mg increments to 600mg(200am 200 afternoon,200 late pm) for nerve block for the pain. I've been on this for about 4 months now and I honestly don't know if I'm getting better or worse.Plus I had bad eating and drinking habits until Oct-Nov last year.Plus the big culprit was stress at our job as we were bought by a large corp.about 2 years ago and switched to their system las Sept. which caused us to do alot more work to accomplish the same tasks and more work,which pushed stress thru the roof.iT's no coincidence I stated having trouble in Oct.The only think that really keeps me going is I trust God and jesus to pull me thru to the other side.I feel They're pulling me close to Them as I had strayed.I just pray this will soon even out as I know with all the drastic changes it takes time.But still it gets to you .All the best!Prayers your way.God Bless You.Bob

• Posted

I was on mirtazapine for 14 months and have been off it for a week also and I actually feel much better mentally so far than I have in a long time. I have been taking hydroxyzine to help with sleep but it definitely can be done and I agree 100% that we can make our symptoms worse by looking into everything and always fearing the worst will happen.

Reading all the possible withdrawal symptoms just makes things so much worse and you blame everything that is happening on withdrawal. Everyone definitely reacts differently to the meds of course but we can definitely help make things better or worse for ourselves!

• Posted

I have to agree with you. For me, the more negatives I read the more it feeds my anxiety. I was on Prozac twenty years ago and came off it no problem, there's was no internet to feed my fire back then!

Hope it continues to work for you. I'm down to 1.87mg Mirt now, and can't wait to say I'm off it!

Kirsty

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.