Stopping block and replace

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hello everyone - I hope that someone might be able to give me some assistance. I was diagnosed with Grave in July 2012 and was very sick - 2 weeks in hospital and was eventually put on block and replace during which time I recovered put back on most of the three stone that I lost in weight and felt great. I stopped taking the meds last week and have had the most intense headache for the last five days right above my right eye! I'm starting to think that I might be going hyper again - just feeling tired and generally not right! Does anyone have any idea if this is normal? appreciate you help

Neil

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

just a nudge to anyone who might be able to help - pain now a constant 5/6 out of 10 and my vision is blurring!
  • Posted

Hello Neil, could I suggest putting your post on Overactvie Thyroid Graves Part 4 page ? There are lots of fellow sufferers on there and you should get some advice. I only had Carbimazole and Propanolol and not block and replace so not much help to you. Did you stop your medication yourself or did your doctor stop it, also are you due for another appointment soon ? It might be good to get your GP to check this for you and perhaps do another thyroid blood test if you haven't had one recently. If your GP cant see you, perhaps an optician could have a look and check your vision for you. . I'm sure you can get this sorted but dont suffer any longer, it must be awful for you. Take care, keep in touch.

Bess.

• Posted

Hello Neil, I had block and replace 5 years ago and It worked for about 3 years, but hyperactivity came back with a vengeance early this summer. Will try block and replace again, as my gut instinct warns me against swallowing something radioactive that will then go through my stomach, kidneys and bladder. Apparently block and replace works in 80% of cases. I didn't have any side effects with it. Hope you'll be better son!
  • Posted

Sorry for posting on an old thread but I would love to hear how things turned out Neil? I am on block and replace at the moment, have been stable on it for over a year and my docs are talking about taking me off it when I graduate from uni this summer. I'm a little nervous about coming off the meds so would love to hear others experiences and what I should look out for :-)

• Posted

Hello Rachy baby, I was on block and replace from 2008 until 2010 and was fine without any meds until mid 2013, when I went hyperthyroid again. But I attributed the return of my illness due to extreme stress experienced a few months beforehand. Hopefully, if you manage to control any stress, you will be symptom-free for many years.
  • Posted

Hello,sorry for the delay in getting back to you! - I was shopping!! Just to say that I completed my block and replace and was also a bit nervous about stopping my meds but to be honest i had a week of head aches ( not constant) and my vision was a bit weird ( sort ghosting or slight double vision but that was it! In full remission now and feel 100% now! The worst part is worrying that things will go back to how they were! Just remember how you felt and look out for the usual warning signs!! Good luck let me know how it goes!! N
  • Posted

That's good news Stefania :-) thank you :-) hope you are managing to keep everything under control yourself :-)

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up