Stopping citalaprom 20mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. I recently posted a couple of weeks ago about being on citalaprom for nausa. I was at the docs this week and was told to come of as it was possibly causing urine retention.

I spent down to 10mg a day for this week and stopped taking them altogether yesterday. But I have been extremely unwell with severe nausea/ headaches and dizziness. I went back to the docs and they thought I had a viral infection but I think I have stopped taking them to quickly?

I'm really feeling horrible and don't know what to do sad should I go back to taking the 10mg a day for longer and ease back off? Any help would really be appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey, Kimmy. It depends on how long you have been on the Citilopram. Most medication requires a reasonable length of time either to come off it, or when increasing it. I went from 10-40mg of Cit over a period of 8 weeks or so. It is possible that you came off to quickly, the "cold turkey" syndrome. You could try taking it every other day, 4 days with, 3 without, but NOT consecutive days. Reduce it gradually. Better still, see your GP, if you haven't already done so. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I have been on them since August so quite some time. I have taken a 10mg today so hopefully that may help. I think I'll book an appt on Monday to see my doctor again as I only was give a weeks supply of the 10mg.
  • Posted

It is almost certain that you are suffering from withdrawal effects, it is a shame that many GPs don't realise how bad the withdrawal symptoms can be.

I would suggest taking the 10mg again until you feel OK, then cutting them in half and taking 5mg a day.

I had to cut them into quarters and reduce by 2.5mg steps for a few weeks at a time (although I had been on them for years), if it is causing urine retention then you may need to reduce faster if you can tolerate the withdrawal effects, but dropping from 20mg to 10mg for a week then nothing sounds much too fast.

• Posted

Thank you, yeah I didn't know how bad it could be but they just thought I had a viral infection and didn't know it was cause by stopping the citalapram. I do feel better to an extent after taking the 10mg. Yeah I think it's best to do what you had done and cut down slowly.

I had the retention in March after a nose opp so have a catheter in now, so I was to stop the citalapram as I am seeing the urologist on the 24th of June. So I won't really know if it was causing the side effect if you understand? Thanks again for your reply.

• Posted

Hi Kimmy, I empathise with your situation. I was on 10mg for 2 years, it took me a programme of 6 weeks set up by my doctor to come off them altogether. It's now been 3 months since i've stopped taking the medication all together. It does work, if you come off gradually. I tried last year by myself, by simply cutting the tablets in half to reduce the dose, but i felt really awful and had to go back on them in the end.

I would ask your doctor to plan a programme to gradually phase out taking the pills. My doctor planned 6 weeks for me, showing days of the week and put ticks for when i should take a pill and crosses for days when i shouldn't take a pill. It worked really well for me, she was a very kind helpful doctor. Good luck ! smile

• Posted

A viral infection?  Really?  I'd like to beat your doctor with a wet fish eek

Even if you've taken the medication for only a few weeks, you can still get withdrawal symptoms, so yes I think you came off them too quick, and you're having symptoms.

If you've only missed 1 day, then I'd take them again for a week, then cut them in half and take 5mg for a few weeks.  After that take 5mg every other day for a week or 2 and en space it out even further after that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.