stopping citalopram cold turkey

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

have been on citalopram for a couple of years but down to 10mgs since xmas and doc says i can come off by stopping now or reducing till off completely. would like to stop and wondered what the side effects would be? thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Initially you won't (well, shouldn't) even notice you've stopped taking them, it'll all start in a week or two smile
  • Posted

hi thanks for info, do you know what sort of reactions i may have in a week's time? just so i can be aware. thanks
  • Posted

hiya sheep,

id suggest a week or so of taking 10 mg every other day, withdrawl, that is IF you get any may start in 3 to 6 days as cit as a 'half life' of 35 hours, it may be best not to know what the potential side effects are as you would tend to look for them, however there is plenty of info available online, google citalopram withdrawl/discontinuation,

best of luck :O)

Ken~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Posted

If you stop psychotropic medication suddenly you generally get everything it's meant to prevent. It's much better to reduce gradually until you're on the lowest dose, then stop.
  • Posted

Nothing terrible, you mightn't even notice anything at all smile
  • Posted

Hi, I actually stopped taking Cit 10mg a few weeks ago and don't feel too bad at the moment. Will be going back to the GP in a few weeks time for an assessment. I think the only thing I am feeling at the moment is being a little short tempered especially when my pc slows up, but that could be due to the lack of sleep! Started a temporary job recently and I was fine so that is an improvement from months ago. Will just have to take things as they come and see what happens.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up