Stopping codiene phosphate,and starting this tonight! I'm scared!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi folks , I've been on codiene phosphate 180mg a day for 4 years. Not by choice but because of different things, child birth, stairs, falling over and IBS I've needed it for pain relief. Now the doctors haven't taken me off it, soooo I went to the doctors this morning and asked to be taken off it, that was scary, because admittedly I like how the codiene makes me feel but I know I need to come off it.

I'm usually on 60mg 3 times a day of codiene and at night I take 4 sleeping tablets too.

The nurse practitioner has reduced my codiene to 30mg 3 times a day and completely stopped my. sleeping tablets. This is the case for 1 week then I gave to go back every week for about 16.

In place of my sleeping tablets she has given me mirtazipine. I've never heard of it until today and I'm quite scared of how it's going to make me feel.

I'm at work tomorrow 11-5, mcdonalds and I'm not sure what time to take my mirtazipine tonight as I don't know how I'll feel tomorrow.

Any info on how this has made people feel please let me know.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi chick

I have also been prescribed these, but to be honest not taken them yet as like you pretty scared bout it.

Done an awful lot of research into it, and they will make you feel groggy the next morning but will help with your sleep, so it may be a good thing to take it quite early bout 8?

Another poss side effect is a taste for sweet things, but hey I have heard of worse side effects, we all love chocolate!!

I totally appreciate you are worried bout taking them I am EXACTLY the same, but you probably have more nerve than me.

• Posted

Hi folks - I take Mirtazapine 30mg for anxiety. They work for me. It does help me to get some rest as one of the symptoms of my anxiety was hyper awareness, always on the alert for some imagined thing or another. So I was only sleeping for about an hour at a time. The Mirtazapine has helped with this. But it does make me a bit dozy in the morning. I do take it at 8 to 9 pm. It was my experience that the first 2 days were weirdly hyperactive - and this was on only 15 mg . I am a 200lb male, so if you are smaller, you might consider taking half dose for a few days. This side effect didn't recur. Hope that helps. David.
  • Posted

Depends what dose you've been given, I'm on 45mg which was gradually increased due to lower doses not working if I've got to be up early which sometimes is the case I'll take them earlier around 8-9pm when you start on them you will feel drowsy in a morning but once your used to them you should be ok. I swapped over from Citalopram and was taking them both to get the Mirtazipine into my system and that was awful I was spaced out for 2 weeks and my head was mashed for that time but once I was only on them I was fine.
  • Posted

Hi

jis wanted to say mirt helped me a lot with anxiety and sleeping. I had insomnia really bad and it helped so much. Take the mirt at ur usual bedtime. Don't expect to go out or drive and be close to a bed smile

good luck

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up