Stopping Diazepam

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

​I've been taking diazepam upt to 8mg on a day on an as and when needed basis since last October. I also take 30mg Mirtrazapine and have had a course of Zopiclone to help with sleeping.

​I have been signed off work since November but returned part time in March and went full time again 2weeks ago. In January my husband was also diagnosed with terminal cancer which meant we had to move 2 weeks ago as he could no longer walk up 2 flights of stairs.

​The move occured at the worst time as I had to work solidly for 7 days over the bank holiday and most days I was out 7am - 7pm working.

​My husband's condition got worse over the weekend and we spent most of tuesday morning being passed backwards between the emergency number from the hospital and the GP. I also was working in London that day so was not at home. When I came home I found him in extreme pain and unable to get up or walk at all. As a result I called an ambulance and he was diagnosed with factures in both hips. I had run out of Diazepam and was finding it extremeley tough to deal with my anxiety -I was getting mixed messages from the doctors in regards my husband and alos had been up for over 48 hours with very little sleep in the days before. I got a prescription for more but was only given enought for 2 days. On friday I got a call at 7am telling me they were taking my husband into surgery. Given his condition it was a very risky op and I was told there was a chance he wouldn't survive the op. Being at home (although it doesn't feel like home yet as everything is still in boxes) alone I got very anxious, especially as a friend died from an embolism following similar surgery at the same hospital last year. I called the surgery and a doctor called me back basically saying I could not have any more diazepam as I was showing signs of addiction. Instead I was to up my mirtrazapine to 45mg and given more sleeping tablets because sleeping would help me feel better. He also offered to sign me off work which I didn't want as I had an important meeting.

​Needless to say I ended up having a full panic attack and unable to go to work.

​I've since read that if you have been taking diazepam for a while you shouldn't just stop as it is like withdrawing of any drug. Has anyone else simply stopped taking?

​Husband came through the surgery well but has to go through it all again next week to fix his other hip. Not sure I can handle that alone.

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your struggles.  It is so hard when a loved one is very sick, especially when you both know it is a long term thing.  Diazepam should not be stopped suddenly, like almost all drugs.  Docs these days are afraid of the system and of losing their licenses if they prescribe too much of anything.  Just because you take something that helps, it does not mean you are addicted.  Do you have access to another doc who might be more compassionate about what you are going thru?  Try valerian or chamomile tea before you go to bed.  They are very relaxing and can help you unwind. You must take good care of yourself in order to be the main care taker for your husband.  That is an extremely difficult to maintain.  Gift yourself with a hot bath about an hour before bed and pour in Epsom salts (magnesium), baking soda and an essential oil with an aroma that relaxes you.  Not only will you feel like a noodle when you finish, you will want to sleep after that.  Another benefit is that you will have incredibly soft skin!  It will actually take some stress off your husband if he sees that you are taking care of yourself, too.  Best wishes.  Recruit some help from family and friends to allow you time to do something you enjoy at least weekly, if not more.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You are a star you are going through so much and you are still standing

Stop beating yourself up about it and be nice to yourself

Go back and speak to your doc about your meds

I hope all is ok with your husband

Stay Strongcool

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies. I'm seeing my normal GP tomorrow face to face as well as my counsellor so hopefully can get something sorted. I'm quite happy to stop taking the diazepam after the next surgery is over and son't think it would be a problem as I have gone weeks without taking over the past few months. I just needed it to help with the last couple of weeks.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up