stopping mirtazapine

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all i'm new to the forum and having read some f the awful experience of others on this drug i decided to come off before i really get started.I have only been taking 15mg for 10 days now so i've cut them in half and intend to take half for a couple of days before missing a day? am i likely to have the symptoms i've read about with so little use? i would appreciate your thoughts. cheers Simon

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Simon

Just curious but why are you stopping so soon?are they not agreeing with you? They take 2 to 6 weeks to get in your system properly.

I can't answer your question as everybody seems to be different. I shouldn't think they will be too harsh on you but please don't hold me to that.

I'm currently withdrawing from mirt. Going slow but that's because I've been taking them for 6 years.

This forums awesome lovely people that will always help you out

S x

• Posted

Hi Suzannah 

I googled them and read the threads in so little time i'm noticing my appetite changing and as i've always struggled with weight the last thing i want is to battle with that as well, i don't like the sound of these pills so far so am going to get doc to prescribe  something more suitable to my own mind if that makes any sense and having read the awful experiences of others i don't fancy taking my chances i suffered a breakdown a number of years ago and was prescribes citalapram then sertroline or something this time round i had an episode with work and feel nowhere near the first time also its a new doctor only young? not that is an issue but i don't know why prescribed this when i read unless tried others this more of a last resort? thanks for getting back to me 

simon 

• Posted

Doesn't mean you will gain weight i didn't

I did with citalopram and had to argue with pdoc because he was blaming the mirt but in 4 years i gained 8lbs

Like I said everyone reacts different

S x

• Posted

I know but i probably would lol i'm just worried about the affects of this as i don't feel like i need something as addictive if that's the right phrase i feel better for seeming to take control of what i'm prepared to take incidently cit didn't agree with me same as mirt thanks for your input to my query hope your on the mend 

simon

• Posted

Anything that makes you feel better no matter what AD it is we become reliant on. Not addicted too as they're only supposed to be used as a plaster until we feel better. I could not tolerate any ssri so that's how i landed on mirt.

Uve just got to pick one and stick to it.

Has it made you hungry so far?

S x

• Posted

Yes i understand that i just don't like how i'm feeling and hungry i am so hungry!!!! it's a bewildering time bad enough to be at this stage in life without the headache of the drugs thanks again

simon

• Posted

Ok I understand. They don't suit everyone that's why there are so many different ones

You will get there

Here to help if you need it

S x

• Posted

My doc twice put me on Mirtazapine and I stopped before he finally got his way.   Both times I stopped after 2 weeks, I just stopped taking it.  Zero side effects, all that happened was "I felt better" smile

Taking me months now to get off it after being on it 6 years, I'm down to 15mg... been a long hard slog.  Basically it worked well for almost 6 years, then I started to get dopey in the daytime and it was ruining my life.

• Posted

Thanks ian 

i feel drowsy slightly agitated aggressive not my normal self and hungry i appreciate your i think i'll follow you on the stop dead approach no point so soon to keep taking it in ? thanks again 

simon

• Posted

Hi Simon,

I wouldn't worry about coming off them after such a short time, I would take 7.5 for 3 nights then just stop.  

• Posted

Are you taking this for depression or anxiety?
    • Posted

I'm not actually sure? i went to doctors in an agitated state i don't really know the difference only in how i feel over the two occasions i've felt in need of help they have given me counselling if that is an indicator
    • Posted

Just to say they are ok for depression and insimnia but not so good for anxiety and very difficult to come off.

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

Hello. I am wondering if other users with severe anxiety only have it upon waking and hours after? Later in the day it is much better. I take 30mg before bed. For this reason I am tapering off.
    • Posted

Yes gef!

That's the exact same reason I'm coming off of them never suffered anxiety in my life!

Went to 45 and that anxiety turned into full blown panic attacks

My gp said 15 is for anxiety and insomnia 30 and 45 are more activating for depression

S x

• Posted

Hello Gef,

I have the same you have.

My anxiety is the worst when i wake up, it is like an adreneline shout i cat and that can thake hours to went away.

I could not stand it anymore and have been trying ad´s, ssri´s do not work for me, i will go higher than a kite.

So Mirt has put me down, but to down.

With 30 mg i could not stand, i was lying in a chair the whole day.

With 15 mg i got agressif  and irritated and had a bulb over my head also with 30 mg.

Now with 7,5 i am very tired but not more in panick in the morning.

But i can do nothing, i am to heavy, my arms and legd and my head is a fog and i am very forgetfull.

• Posted

Hi Karin Ialso feel like my heads in a fog i have trouble concentrating and have also found i can have a very comatose kind of sleep mid afternoon only for about a half hour then i'm something like ok again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.